Why become a member? ×

Belated hello

Happypants

Been lurking for a while and made a few purchases off the forum so thought it was about time to formally say hello.

Promised myself I'd learn guitar this year but that didn't happen for various reasons and then randomly got into watching bass videos on Youtube.

Came across a lovely Fender Pro Jazz Bass on here at too good a price to ignore so bought that. Gave my old guitar away (on here). Signed up for bass lessons. Purchased a Sire U5 (on here). Bought some Waza Air headphones. Sold Waza Air headphones. Bought a Blackstar Unity 250 combo. Returned Blackstar combo. Bought a PJB Cub. Bought a Trace Elliot Elf head. Bought a Trace Elliot 2x8 cab (on here) to match the head. Sold the Cub. 

Is probably evident I don't really know what I want and covid hasn't helped. I now have a jazz bass and short scale PJ with a small-ish amp/cab setup that I think is pretty much spot on for my current needs.

Started to explore pedals and effects and was considering a Helix HX Stomp but think that will be complete overkill for my current needs. I've ended up with a Trace Elliot Transit B preamp and Zoom B1 Four for Christmas but have yet to open and try.

Also having major GAS for a precision, something MIJ, something Yamaha, something stingray or a mustang - but I should really learn to actually play rather than buy another bass!

Fairly eclectic in musical taste but looking at playing mainly funk, disco, pop (gasp) with some slightly heavier stuff such as RHCP and RATM. Currently failing to learn to slap with any consistency.

Thanks to all the people I've made purchases from and bothered in PMs for info!

Edited by Happypants
  • Like 1

Welcome HP.

13 hours ago, Happypants said:

Also having major GAS for a precision, something MIJ, something Yamaha, something stingray or a mustang - but I should really learn to actually play rather than buy another bass!

I don't think there is a bar on collectors.  If you never played an instrument it's usually a piece of art all by itself.  Defintely more practical than a piece of canvas hanging on your wall.

You'll get there.  Find your muse and set the pace you want to learn at.  Branch out then from your comfort zones and play stuff you don't necessarily like but can reliably churn out.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all.

On 22/12/2020 at 19:35, CJPJ said:

👋🏻 Glad you are enjoying the JB 👍🏻

Loving it! Far exceeds my ability so I can't blame the instrument!

On 22/12/2020 at 21:27, StickyDBRmf said:

Welcome! Slapping is over-rated, save the occasional derriere...

But I thought everyone loves a good slapper?!

Welcome aboard! You have some very excellent gear there sir, so yes - now you need to learn to play. Or at the very least be able to noodle about to your own satisfaction. 😉

Sign up for completely free and excellent lessons at: StudyBass - Free interactive online bass lessons  Or the ~£120/year excellent lessons and massive additional resources available at https://scottsbasslessons.com.  I've used both and learnt loads. 

As others say, nothing wrong with having a collection, but being able to play them will let you enjoy them even more.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Richard R for the links to the online lessons. I'm having some local one-to-one lessons but always welcome any recommendations or content for development.

I used to play the Saxophone in another life and worked through the grades so the theory is buried in there somewhere!