Why become a member? ×

LARRY GRAHAM - Super Slapping Bass [a.k.a. Super Chopper Bass Thumpin' & Pluckin' Slap Style]

Bart Funk Bass

On 20/12/2020 at 13:30, TheGreek said:

I know...that's just it...

Thumb over the top on the fretting hand and sloppy technique on the right.

Easy to pick holes after nearly 40 years of refinement.

I'm not a fan of slap bass on the whole, except when Larry and Louis (Johnson) are the ones doing it.

They lay it all down with such huge gravity, rhythm, guts and groove to a degree that I don't think anyone subsequently has got anywhere near (for me).

I'd term it the purest and best distillation of the form and way superior to the 'refined' machine gun style it became.

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/12/2020 at 03:01, 40hz said:

I'm not a fan of slap bass on the whole, except when Larry and Louis (Johnson) are the ones doing it.

They lay it all down with such huge gravity, rhythm, guts and groove to a degree that I don't think anyone subsequently has got anywhere near (for me).

I'd term it the purest and best distillation of the form and way superior to the 'refined' machine gun style it became.

The problem with the machine gun style is it lacks groove  / swing , which after all is what funk is all about. LG and LJ are two of my all-time fave players but Marcus Miller is right up there with them. Mind you a bit of machine gun technique in moderation is good.

• Like 1

I'll tell you the moments that made me want to sell the Fender Mustang and trade for the Fender Jazz. In my sister's '69 Mercury Cougar convertable listening on 8-track. Sly and the Family Stone - Stand! - Sex Machine. (I want to play that for 13 mins) And Iron Butterfly - Inna Gadda Da Vida. (I want to play that for 17 mins) Larry da Man...All others eat hay

@Bart Funk Bassjust want to check - so what you are doing, is taking other people's content from videos of various artists, breaking it down into smaller chunks and posting on youtube, with the view of getting 1000 subscribers to you can start to monetise and gain money from other people's content?

On 12/01/2021 at 15:00, EBS_freak said:

@Bart Funk Bassjust want to check - so what you are doing, is taking other people's content from videos of various artists, breaking it down into smaller chunks and posting on youtube, with the view of getting 1000 subscribers to you can start to monetise and gain money from other people's content?

What is your problem?

You cannot monetise copyrighted material. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...