Why become a member? ×

Dual channel tubey goodness?

Jonesy

So, I'm thinking about putting a board together for a blues band and was wondering if I could pick your brains. Basically I'm after 2 tones for the band. One that's fairly clean and just adds a nice thumpy tube warmth and then another that breaks up and is a bit more aggy, maybe like a Jack Bruce live kinda tone. 

At the minute I'm thinking a Sansamp VT Deluxe would be just the ticket, but does it sound any different to the VT DI? 

Or are there any other dual channel overdrives that people would suggest? 

Or would people suggest going down the separate pedals route? Maybe a VT pedal and something like a Catalinbread SFT? 

Thanks 

Nice, thanks!!! 

I've seen a couple of YT vids online and thought the 2 notes might be a bit too polite, but I'll have another route around to see what i can find. 

I hadn't thought about the bigger units like the SH1 (and it was something that was sort of holding me back about the VT Deluxe), but by the time you consider it has a tuner in it as well then it's about the same size as a pedaltrain metro and would save me picking those up. 

I wasn't sure if the machinist could do tube and then tubey break up, thought it was more fuzz for the 3rd channel? 

I believe that the VT Deluxe is now discontinued, but they do crop up second hand on here and eBay.

You could always look at the Bass Driver Deluxe, the Bass Driver Programmable, or the Bass Fly Rig.

Alternatively, look at the Helix Stomp or the POD GO.

EBS MicroBass?

Pretty sure there's plenty of others about.

• Like 1

So many options, cheers guys! Just working my way through YT clips to try and get a general idea of things. 

The SH1 sounds good and is a lot smaller than I thought it was. Just not sure I could have something knowing that it's West Ham colours! 😂

The Helix, while I'm sure is great, might be a bit too much and I never get on too well with multi fx. It's completely me and my lack of ability to play around with them. 

4 hours ago, paul_5 said:

2 channels of tubey thump? 
for my money I’d spring for the VT2 advertised here:

I’ve used DHA stuff for years and always had a great tone.

Ahh, good stuff. I've heard good things about DHA pedals so will check it out. I'm kicking myself for not picking up your VT pedal, was umming and arring about it for ages and then went to see if it was still available and it had gone 😒

1 hour ago, Jonesy said:

So many options, cheers guys! Just working my way through YT clips to try and get a general idea of things. 

The SH1 sounds good and is a lot smaller than I thought it was. Just not sure I could have something knowing that it's West Ham colours! 😂

The Helix, while I'm sure is great, might be a bit too much and I never get on too well with multi fx. It's completely me and my lack of ability to play around with them. 

Yep the SH1 and DP3x literally fit in your trouser pocket

Machinist will get you there if you want

20 hours ago, paul_5 said:

Here’s a few sound samples from my old VT2...

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/ULEHHtChiP3rrBSs8

Thanks a lot for that. Lovely playing and lovely tones, sounds like it's just what I'm after. I like that that the 2 channels have separate EQ's too, it's a shame the SH1 doesn't as the range of tones you can get from it sounds pretty impressive. 

Did you find your VT2 to be particularly noisey? Can't say it sounds it in the recordings. 

So far it seems as if it's between the DHA VT2 Sansamp VT Deluxe and the machinist. The 2 notes looks like it has a separate EQ for each channel, but one of the reviews I watched said it didn't. Does anyone know what the score is there? 

I like sansamp gear and have the MK1 BDDI, but think it's a bit too clank for what I'm after so don't think the Deluxe version will be right for me. 

Edited by Jonesy

11 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

Thanks a lot for that. Lovely playing and lovely tones, sounds like it's just what I'm after. I like that that the 2 channels have separate EQ's too, it's a shame the SH1 doesn't as the range of tones you can get from it sounds pretty impressive. 

Did you find your VT2 to be particularly noisey? Can't say it sounds it in the recordings. 

So far it seems as if it's between the DHA VT2 Sansamp VT Deluxe and the machinist. The 2 notes looks like it has a separate EQ for each channel, but one of the reviews I watched said it didn't. Does anyone know what the score is there? 

I like sansamp gear and have the MK1 BDDI, but think it's a bit too clank for what I'm after so don't think the Deluxe version will be right for me. 

Whoever said 2 notes does not have a separate EQ for each channel is talking bunkum.

Channel A is the ‘clean’ channel and yea it only has Bass and Treble but it is it’s own EQ

Channel B is the ‘dirty’ channel and that has a 3 band.

You can run A alone, B alone, A into B or A and B in parallel.

B is not just a full on filth channel like most people seem to want to demonstrate. The reviews often show things at their extremes of their capabilities, B can run pretty clean, just on the verge of break up.

A channel is a lovely fat bass sound, albeit with a slight scoop to it, but in a nice way.

It may or may not be the right choice for you, but it is a very good pedal indeed

In the tubey but not with tubes department, you can get a wide array of tones with the Free The Tone Black Vehicle. The (switchable) is great, let you choose between more volume or more gain. And it sounds quite tubey to my ears. Pricey but a real super nice pedal.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Whoever said 2 notes does not have a separate EQ for each channel is talking bunkum.

Ah, my mistake. I've just rewatched the review and their gripe is around the cab sim. Apparently they think it's not needed for the clean channel but needed for dirt, so it can't be used as instantly changeable between sections of a song, to their ears anyway. Back on the list it goes. 

Hopefully tier 4 doesn't go on for too long and I get to try some of these out. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

Ah, my mistake. I've just rewatched the review and their gripe is around the cab sim. Apparently they think it's not needed for the clean channel but needed for dirt, so it can't be used as instantly changeable between sections of a song, to their ears anyway. Back on the list it goes. 

Hopefully tier 4 doesn't go on for too long and I get to try some of these out. 

That’s nuts as well - they are not wrong - for their use - however you can make it work easily with the right tinkering and yes, you can change instantly - all depends on your flavour

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

I really liked my VT2, and didn't find to noisy at all. As with any valve kit they're fussy about having a clean power supply (and healthy valves), but it looks like this one comes with the PSU that Dave used to supply, so that's probably not an issue. 

These can be retubed for about £20, and as they're only preamp tubes (12AX7) then they don't need biasing; just pull the old one out and push the new one in.

• Like 1

Hihi Jonesy, 

If you fancy trying the DHA with your own rig before making any purchases I'm sure we can sort something out, also, if it's valvey drive you're after  (yes, valvey, it's a word😁) you're welcome to try the Owen bass bomb at the same time, it's not quite as all bells and whistles as the DHA but has 2 channels and a bypass, each channel has a mid boost/flat/bass cut selector plus a hi lift switchable between 1, both or neither channel plus overall tone. 

Heya, 

Thanks very much Booga, valvey drive is exactly what I'm after. I was hoping to get out to a few shops after Christmas so I can try a few things out, but tier 4 has scuppered that plan for now. In the mean time, have you got any idea on what the noiseyness in the DHA might be? 

I'd wondered that myself, just done an A / B comparison on noise using the single power supply I'd been using  and my truetone brick, whilst the cable from the brick doesn't seem to attach securely the pedal is a LOT quieter using it so I think i can confidently say the noise is power source related.

• Like 1

On 21/12/2020 at 20:43, Booga13 said:

I'd wondered that myself, just done an A / B comparison on noise using the single power supply I'd been using  and my truetone brick, whilst the cable from the brick doesn't seem to attach securely the pedal is a LOT quieter using it so I think i can confidently say the noise is power source related.

Good to hear - thanks very much for the update. 

On 19/12/2020 at 11:57, Jonesy said:

Maybe a VT pedal and something like a Catalinbread SFT? 

This is a good choice - I've spent years and £s trying out various pedals (including most of those mentioned so far) and have come full circle back to a similar setup. I had an SFT into a VT on my board for a long time back in my gigging days, at the moment I am very much liking the combination of the SolidgoldFX Beta and Tech21 YYZ.

Edited by dannybuoy

4 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

This is a good choice - I've spent years and £s trying out various pedals (including most of those mentioned so far) and have come full circle back to a similar setup. I had an SFT into a VT on my board for a long time back in my gigging days, at the moment I am very much liking the combination of the SolidgoldFX Beta and Tech21 YYZ.

It's so difficult trying to decide what to do, especially without being able to nip out and try something. At the minute I think it's between the DHA VT2, 2 notes le bass or a combo of the Sansamp VTDI and the SFT........... And now the SFX Beta and YYZ 😂

I just wish there was a shop that had all of them in stock!!!