Why become a member? ×

Hofner Ignition or other?

PaulFenderJazz

I’m sure this has prob been asked before, but anyway: I’m looking to get a violin bass. Obvious candidate is a Höfner Ignition, but I’m also wondering if anyone’s had experience of other similar priced options, in particular Vintage as I think they have a good reputation as a budget brand. Any feedback on the best option appreciated, I want a full hollow body rather than with centre block, so that will cut down options I know.....

https://www.expressmusic.co.uk/products.asp?code=319515&name=pre-owned-legend-by-aria-violin-bass-sunburst&gclid=Cj0KCQiA5vb-BRCRARIsAJBKc6Iq_KXYAnaqfx9MlTH_1wUXtezekeVzkfXqy8xogzY7RnlqumbHjWYaAkiJEALw_wcB

Might be worth enquiring about.

I've previously owned several makes of violin bass including an Ignition but now have a HCT. I've enjoyed them all, each having a slightly different tone. The Hofner pickups are the best amongst the bunch and give the sound I think you want.

I recently acquired a Tanglewood which is hollow and am very impressed with the build quality.

I always fit flats and the Ignition needs strings that fit the small guitar type tuners so special sets are available.

They are a bit of a fiddle to set up but great fun to play.

Then there's the big question - pickguard or not?

Good luck.

Edited by grandad

3 hours ago, grandad said:

https://www.expressmusic.co.uk/products.asp?code=319515&name=pre-owned-legend-by-aria-violin-bass-sunburst&gclid=Cj0KCQiA5vb-BRCRARIsAJBKc6Iq_KXYAnaqfx9MlTH_1wUXtezekeVzkfXqy8xogzY7RnlqumbHjWYaAkiJEALw_wcB

Might be worth enquiring about.

I've previously owned several makes of violin bass including an Ignition but now have a HCT. I've enjoyed them all, each having a slightly different tone. The Hofner pickups are the best amongst the bunch and give the sound I think you want.

I recently acquired a Tanglewood which is hollow and am very impressed with the build quality.

I always fit flats and the Ignition needs strings that fit the small guitar type tuners so special sets are available.

They are a bit of a fiddle to set up but great fun to play.

Then there's the big question - pickguard or not?

Good luck.

Thanks, v useful and I did wonder about the Aria as a good toe in the water. Out of interest, have you found all violin basses to have the smaller tuners, or just the Höfners? Thanks!

19 hours ago, PaulFenderJazz said:

Thanks, v useful and I did wonder about the Aria as a good toe in the water. Out of interest, have you found all violin basses to have the smaller tuners, or just the Höfners? Thanks!

Just the Hofners of the ones I've tried. All need medium length strings though to accommodate the tailpeice.

Edited by grandad

32 minutes ago, grandad said:

Just the Hofners of the ones I've tried. All need medium length strings though to accommodate the bridge position.

Ah, right, I see Höfner sell their own branded so I guess those are a good bet. I  didn’t know about Tanglewood doing one, I found one used online for similar price to the Aria, thinking it could be well worth a punt!

8 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Nice pun! 

My Hofner Contemporary Series "Club" bass, with the exact neck and general set-up of the violin version, was indeed a lot of trouble. Reducing the factory action took a lot of time (and some dollars as well). With reduced action, the bass was a very good one. The Contemporary version was $795, including case, and well worth it, I felt--after the adjustments.

1 minute ago, Wylie said:

My Hofner Contemporary Series "Club" bass, with the exact neck and general set-up of the violin version, was indeed a lot of trouble. Reducing the factory action took a lot of time (and some dollars as well). With reduced action, the bass was a very good one. The Contemporary version was $795, including case, and well worth it, I felt--after the adjustments.

Thanks, v useful to know, I’ve actually just pulled the trigger on a used Tanglewood, hoping that as it’s not new the set up should be OK

On 19/12/2020 at 13:16, PaulFenderJazz said:

I wondered about these as they’re so cheap: any view on comparative quality, as the Höfner, etc are double the price?

I've never had my mitts on one, but reviews are consistently decent with no major shortcomings reported.  Unlike the absolutely dreadful Rocktile violin bass for a similiar price. The company that makes HB's also makes instruments for Epiphone, so they know a thing or two about making a tidy instrument at a keen price.

Then there's the Epiphone viola bass, which is well regarded for slightly less cash than the ignition and is a nice instrument to play.  However, the internal construction is different  and gives a rather different tone to other violin basses. I actually prefer it, but thats a taste thing.

Edited by Bassfinger
  • Like 2

On 25/12/2020 at 08:26, PaulFenderJazz said:

Quick update, Tanglewood arrived, initial impressions good, flats on order, so we’ll see how it sounds once they’re here. Thanks for all the advice!

4169FE4C-6C01-45D8-8A38-695C3156D22E.jpeg

That does look nice. Exactly the same model as mine.

Apart from cleaning, oiling & polishing and a setup I only had to replace the knobs with small Jazz knobs on mine.

I'm ordering a set of Labella 760FHB2 strings. I have them on my Hofner HCT.

Let us know how you get on with it when you've fitted your flats.

Will you keep the scratch-plate on?

Edited by grandad

On 28/12/2020 at 12:06, Grahambythesea said:

I found flats on my Hofner too dead. Switched to GHS Brite Flats and got a bit of zing, can always get the thump sound by adjusting the amp tone, you can’t of course really adjust tone on a Hofner as there are no tone controls just the pickup switches.

You might want to try half rounds. I  got some from Status on my new Mustang and they are brighter than flats with almost the same feel. Not expensive either.