Why become a member? ×

New build using Shaper Origin

Chopthebass

I just bought a Shaper Origin, which is a handheld CNC router. It’s flipping amazing! 
very easy to program and use. 
so I drew the precision outline, pickup cavity, control cavity and neck pocket in CAD. Convert to SVG, and upload to the Shaper. You set the depth and away you go. You have a visual line to follow on the screen and you can deviate by half an inch and the tool corrects itself. You can even undercut or over cut in 0.1mm increments to enable a tight neck fit for example. 

E9AE2A58-0C8D-4D34-ADD4-D13C335297F7.jpeg

D686ABEA-8BD5-4FE2-A13C-DFECF0966C04.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chopthebass said:

which is a handheld CNC router.

I read that and went What the...? But as described it sounds awesome. 

How does it know where it is? Are there tracking wheels so it knows (like reverse stepper motors)? How do you position it in the right place on the workpiece? Do you begin with a datum point on the body somewhere and go from there? Or three datum points to define the plane?  So many questions!! 

51 minutes ago, Richard R said:

I read that and went What the...? But as described it sounds awesome. 

How does it know where it is? Are there tracking wheels so it knows (like reverse stepper motors)? How do you position it in the right place on the workpiece? Do you begin with a datum point on the body somewhere and go from there? Or three datum points to define the plane?  So many questions!! 

It looks like you apply tape strips with dot codes printed on them to the workpiece. It looks like it uses them to navigate. I think it requires a diagram uploaded to the device, or maybe streamed to it. Extraordinary thing!

"Origin locates itself in a workspace and makes continuous real-time adjustments while the user is cutting. The result is precision — wherever you need it."

What happens if you want to make a jazz bass?

I'll get me coat.

• Haha 10

To answer some questions....

placement: I have built a height adjustable table and you can see it in the pic with the tape on it. I have side wings to the table so it wraps around a body blank. On those I have a fixed centre line. When I place my body blank I line up the to the body centre line. You then scan the work area and it creates a workspace that you can name. You then upload your file into that workspace. Finally you set a grid and define the centre line (2 points) and blank edge (1 point) . You place your imported file either manually or you define a distance from the edge. Once all this is done you can come back a year later and select that workspace and cut another body. It retains everything in the workspace. So you can have numerous workspaces. Jazz bass, block inlays, control covers , etc. 

creation: the Shaper has a built in library of basic shaper like circles and rectangles etc. So you can do fingerboard dots if they are odd sizes, and you can undersize a little to get a snug fit. As long as you don’t remove your workpiece you can revisit any of the cuts. 

tracking: your uploaded file is displayed on the hi res screen and you follow this when making the cut. The motor has two built in motors that constantly adjust the X and Y to keep it exactly on the line. 

Edited by Chopthebass
Forgot to add last para
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

I missed whether you did the edge roundover with the Origin.  Also, I am assuming that you cut the body shape out with it.

I cut the outline to a depth of 8mm, then moved to overhead pin router and used this groove as a guide. Just quicker on the overhead

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HazBeen said:

Great tool, but I have to note that you can buy a pretty decent CNC table for that type of money.

True, but I don’t have a ton of room, and as I already know how to use AutoCAD it is a breeze to draw up anything I need and upload to the Shaper. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chopthebass said:

True, but I don’t have a ton of room, and as I already know how to use AutoCAD it is a breeze to draw up anything I need and upload to the Shaper. 

Good point, it certainly requires less space. And the tech is amazing in any case. Very cool.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...