Why become a member? ×

NBD - LAKLAND 55-01

TheGreek

So it finally arrived today!!!

Bought on eBay from a seller on Isle of Man it couldn't be tracked till it landed in the UK...several days watching the, unchanging, tracking info till I was relieved this morning when the info was finally recognised.....HOOORAY!!

I've had several attempts at moving onto a 5er in the past - including a Roscoe/ Nanyo - I never really gelled with any of them, finding that whenever I went to practice I'd pick up a 4 string. I'm determined to persevere with it.

Initial impressions - I love the shape  - there are a number of other basses hinting at this shape including the MK11 Wal and the Enfield so very much "of the moment".

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

Bass has a nice feel to it, well balanced and a very nice neck - slim through the depth making it easy to navigate, even though I'm not used to a 5er. I am having to relearn my right hand technique - is it called "The Floating thumb" where your right thumb changes it's resting point, moving up and down the strings? I remember Scott Devine doing a video on the technique but facked if I can find it!!

The Rosewood fretboard sounds warm - preferred over maple which I always feel lacks "something". Check @Lozz196's test at the first Herts Bash for more info.

The pick ups on the bass are not the stock ones on a 55-01. Here's what the sellers says:

This bass has been improved by the addition of Bartolini MK6 pickups (MK6 work better than MK5 on this bass, as the pickup area is larger and the volume of the strings is very even as a result). The electronics have been fully upgraded to Bartolini top quality active electronics. There is an additional 3-position toggle switch between the two volume knobs that controls the frequency of the midrange. 

Controls are: Neck Volume, Bridge Volume, Bass, Mid, Treble and 3-position toggle.

It's had about £400 spent just on electronics/pickups."

s-l1600.jpg

Tonal palette is nice and broad, finding a phat, 80s sound is easy and TBH once I found what I was after I sort of left it alone.

The one thing I'm not totally happy with are the D'Addario 45 gauge strings - but anticipating this I ordered a set of Warwick Red 40-130s just after I won the auction. These are still to arrive - hopefully tomorrow.

A nice early Xmas/ Birthday present to myself - even though I am a proper Bah Humbug about this time of the year.

• Like 7

If anything, the 3+2 tuner arrangement makes life even easier in this regard as your D string (which on a 4+1 tuner arrangement would be the furthest stretch) is closer to the nut. All my 35” 5ers have been 4+1 and I’ve been fine.

I’ve owned multiple 35” scale basses and always found ordinary long scale strings to work perfectly. And I’ve gone through rounds and flats made by Dunlop, D’addario, Ernie Ball. Maruszczyk, La Bella, Thomastik...the list goes on.

As Storky says, the only reason you’d need to consider extra long strings is if stringing through the body, but through the bridge you should be fine.

• Thanks 1

On 18/12/2020 at 17:13, Reggaebass said:

very nice mick 👍, is this the video you mean 

There is another video somewhere,  I'll look for it. I only play a 4, but quickly fell into sliding my thumb down the strings similar to this. This wasn't the video that gave me the idea.

• Thanks 1

I didn't find any noticeable difference between through body and top loading stringing on my Lakland. After that discovery I always strung through the bridge.

I'd make 2 suggestions; put your 4 string basses away and don't get them out for at least 6 months. Then, learn one thing at a time. Trying to master two new concepts, floating thumb and 5 strings, simultaneously has the potential to derail the whole project. Most of us easily adapted out 4 string thumb positions to a 5 string. Muting an extra string isn't a big deal. You just have to be careful and tidy in your playing style. 

In reality you still have a 4 string bass under your fingers, so just play how you would normally play. The B string can be introduced little by little over time.

• Like 1

Hey @chris_b

Thanks for the advice however the reason I haven't persevered with 5ers in the past was the issue about muddy, ringing strings because I wasn't muting them properly.

This morning I was working on playing slower, muting strings and using the floating thumb technique. It did feel like I was a novice again but it gives me the chance to clean up existing bad habits that many of us may have.

Being self taught I probably developed issues that I can, with advice and input from more experienced players here, avoid or retrain when learning the 5 string.

This is partly why I'm highlighting the new bass and hope that by learning from other players, others, in the future, may learn from my journey.

I've started another thread - "Do you need a 5 string bass" - 

where I am posting things I'm finding useful and hope that others will post with similarly useful resources for those, like myself, moving on to 5ers.

Edited by TheGreek

20 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Thanks for the advice however the reason I haven't persevered with 5ers in the past was the issue about muddy, ringing strings because I wasn't muting them properly.

I'd suggest your right hand technique might also need tidying up. It could be that you are not plucking the strings accurately enough, ie you're hitting other strings when you play a note.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...