Why become a member? ×

UP(FF)S- awful at the moment

Old Horse Murphy

So I ordered a guitar from Bax Shop last Wednesday and was advised it had shipped via UPS on Thursday, with a delivery date on Tuesday 14th December.

The tracking link has confirmed the parcel is in the Cardiff depot but has been "delayed" since then due to "operating conditions" with no indication whatsoever of when I can expect delivery. There appears to be absolutely no way of speaking to anyone to get an appraisal of what's going on.

Now, I know that the world is in a pretty awful predicament at the moment (especially South Wales being hit particularly hard by rapidly increasing COVID cases) and I appreciate all I have to be thankful for, but it appears every other courier, including the much-derided Parcelforce is managing to muddle through and deliver to schedule. UPS has always been on my list of gooduns and I was wondering whether anyone else is experiencing the same.

I had a similar experience with some trainers that were sent to me from Switzerland a couple of weeks ago.  Parcel arrived in Tamworth on schedule and  then was "Delayed due to Operating Conditions" with no update on delivery.  They did eventually turn up 2 days later than expected.  I'm sure the same will happen for you.....

I think it is localised and I've never had any issues with UPS before. I had a delivery of a package I ordered from Poland on Monday via GLS/Parcelforce that arrived today and that was the one I was expecting issues with.

It's just me airing a bit of frustration that it's about 30 miles away but managed to make it across the Channel on time.

Oh well, I guess this is potentially how it's going to be when dealing with Europe from now on....joy.

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

There's going to be lots of problems with deliveries in the run up to Christmas and possibly New year as the Royal mail and couriers clear the backlog, according to a friend who works with the RM. This verifies it. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55364955

People are also sending loads more parcels from an increase in online shopping due to covid.

Edited by TheLowDown

Well, there was a surprise knock at the door this morning with a rather hassled looking UPS driver and my guitar. 

Apparently, the guitar had been loaded on to a contractor driver's van for delivery about a week ago (because they're so busy they've been using contractors to assist). The contractor had basically neglected to deliver anything in the area, so the poor regular driver was having to work Saturdays to make good all the deliveries. 

The driver couldn't have been nicer or more apologetic: he was totally blameless for any of the issues but it was great customer service from him.

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1