Why become a member? ×

NBD - 1971 Precision (with a bumpy start)

wateroftyne

I missed a delivery for a cab a few years ago & went to the depot to pick it up. While I was waiting for someone to find it I could see a van (typical Luton style box van) being loaded - boxes & packages were heaped on the ground at the back of the van, and the guys were literally using the pile as a ramp, running up & down it to take stuff inside the vehicle.

I would say this is evidence that's a standard practice.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Happy to report everything's OK. 🙂

The bass was in an old-fashioned wooden-ish hardcase, which really isn't designed to be walked on, but somehow it all got through unscathed. The seller is pretty cross, and is taking it up with Interparcel.

(Incidentally, I video'ed the unboxing just in case)

Right... Ladies and gentlemen, say hello to Maggie:

PC180209-Edit-2.thumb.jpg.147b593e4d9a6061e1a35e28c7bb02fd.jpg

In what will be a huge surprise to none of you, it's an early 70s P. '71, to be exact.

I thought I was done with maple P's, but this one is just over 8lbs so I couldn't resist. Pickguard & wires / pots are replacements. It's been refinned (black over original black, apparently.) Everything else is original.

First thing that hits me... it's massively resonant. Feels lovely so far...

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Like 34

2 hours ago, spyder said:

It is, I've witnessed similar practices.

A well known courier are based opposite my workplace and this week I’ve seen some horrors going on - as they’ve been loading up their vans in the road. In the rain. In yorks where the items are left to tumble to the ground. Really makes me question whether I want to buy or sell anything that’s remotely breakable, unless in a hard/flight case.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

Happy to report everything's OK. 🙂

The bass was in an old-fashioned wooden-ish hardcase, which really isn't designed to be walked on, but somehow it all got through unscathed. The seller is pretty cross, and is taking it up with Interparcel.

(Incidentally, I video'ed the unboxing just in case)

Right... Ladies and gentlemen, say hello to Maggie:

PC180209-Edit-2.thumb.jpg.147b593e4d9a6061e1a35e28c7bb02fd.jpg

In what will be a huge surprise to none of you, it's an early 70s P. '71, to be exact.

I thought I was done with maple P's, but this one is just over 8lbs so I couldn't resist. Pickguard & wires / pots are replacements. It's been refinned (black over original black, apparently.) Everything else is original.

First thing that hits me... it's massively resonant. Feels lovely so far...

Glad all was ok when you took it out of the case, must have been a tense moment to say the least. And what a great bass, congrats.