Why become a member? ×

Vox amplug2 Bass

dave moffat

Yep, I've used one of these for regular daily practice for a couple of years now, so simple and no problems. I just run an audio link from my PC to play along with Youtube and mp3 tracks etc.

It's worth using decent headphones with it and investing in some rechargeable batteries - I find they need changing about every 10 days with heavy use.

Have fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been using my Vox Amplug 2 Bass for about 2 plus months now. I'm very happy with it. Using the right headphones is recommended though, I have quite a few headphone. My preferred headphones is my Beyerdynamic. 

These Vox Amplugs are quite fragile and snap off if you are not careful. I got around this by using a short extension jack wire. 

On 18/12/2020 at 07:15, dave moffat said:

Erindors has got me one for Xmas, arrived yesterday. Have to say I'm very impressed so far, means I don't have to isolate myself when noodling. More than adequate for someone at my level of musical ineptitude.

You're very lucky, I'm not allowed to wear my new slippers until Christmas Day and I'll have to feign surprise when unwrapping them too!

• Haha 2

• 3 months later...

After destroying the plugs or cords on a half dozen cheap headphones, I am looking at maybe trying a 3.5mm plug to bluetooth adapter so I can use my wireless Galaxy buds. Has anyone tried this? I am trepidatious as I am reading reviews mentioning delay. That would be a show stopper. 

After the above post on the Donnor Basement... this is now with the eldest and undergoing guitar use.

I'm on the nice metal box of an EHX headphone amp... clean, simple and no gimmicks... or the Zoom B1 Four.

Wireless would be great! but may end up costing more than the headphone amp or the zoom?

And as you say lag may be an issue with playing versus just playback.

Edited by PaulThePlug

There are scads of gizmos on ebay, amazon, you name it, but nothing name brand. We have a store called BestBuy here, but their gizmos are pricy as you mentioned, almost the price of the amplug itself. 50 bucks for the amplug from sweetwater.com, 30 to 40 from Best Buy. I suppose I will have spent that 30 or 40 in trashed cheapie headphones in a year, though.

• Like 1

Strike one. I drove down to Best Buy and spent 30 bucks on this BT transmitter(only). I plugged the phone and BT thingy into the amplug, paired it and it sounded great in the earbuds. Got home, plugged the amplug into the guitar and the 1/4" jack input is about 500msec later than the aux in from the phone. Dangit. :(

20210407_163341.jpg

Edited by 2020Jazz
Added pic

24 minutes ago, Maude said:

Bluetooth has too much latency to be of any use for monitoring. 

But you've found that out now. 😉

I had high hopes. I am rather befuddled, though. The headphone jack audio isn't out of sync with a wired headset, just with this widget. Senseless. Either both audio paths-1/4" and aux in-arrive at the jack at the same time or they don't. Maybe it is the sequence of which is powered up and or plugged in  in what order. Gonna monkey around with it some more...

Ok, this is what I now know. I previously stated the aux in wasn't late, but I think I was wrong. Had I a 3.5mm splitter I could test but I am convinced both the song and the tone from the bass were late. I timed the delay with a freeware called audacity, from finger pluck to tone in earbud is 400msec. I was close. So this particular device will not work.

BUT.

Now I have read a lot of stuff about low latency bluetooth, claiming 40msec end to end. Galaxy Buds don't support the technology, which is called aptX Low Latency. There are transmitters and earbuds available, but now we're looking at a hundred bucks for stuff off amazon...and it would be a faith purchase.

I'm gluing the ear pads back on on my trusty old Bose headset(too many plane trips, too many rides in the laptop backpack) and will endure the cord until I research this more. Not convinced this is worth a hundred dollars, and not keen on trying to return chinese made electronics on amazon if it all doesn't perform as advertised. Ah well, I tried!

40ms latency is OK for things such as watching TV, it's low enough that the sound is still in sync-ish with the picture. For playing an instrument, though, it's way too high, you'll definitely notice it. 10ms from string to ear is about as high as I'd settle for.

8 hours ago, Jerry C said:

40ms latency is OK for things such as watching TV, it's low enough that the sound is still in sync-ish with the picture. For playing an instrument, though, it's way too high, you'll definitely notice it. 10ms from string to ear is about as high as I'd settle for.

The difference is like standing 11 feet from your amp or 45 feet from it.