Why become a member? ×

Francis 'ROCCO' PRESTIA

Bart Funk Bass

The man was a genius. Actually the rhythm section were geniuses along with the baritone sax player.

I came to ToP relatively late but was really happy to see them play live in 2017 in London (I think the last time Rocco would have played over here).  How he didn't have arthritis in his fingers puzzles me, and I still can't master his muting technique! 

I saw ToP first in Boston in 1973 and several times since in London. Cracking band and a unique bass style. I seem to have picked up some of Rocco's preference for hand movement, rather than finger movement, in my fretting hand style, but I can't play 16ths anywhere near as fast as he could. What a great player.

• Like 1

Saw them at Phoenix 95 and they were still top drawer. Rocco has been a big influence on me over the years. Man that festival was legendary. Bootsy's Rubber Band (best live act I've ever seen along with Nomeansno) , P-Funk All stars, Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, Paul Weller, Public Enemy, Ice T, Bodycount, Galliano, Freakpower......... for starters 😳

Edited by P-Belly Evans

• 3 weeks later...