Why become a member? ×

I have been ripped off (by Mick Mason of Leicester - Facebook scammer/thief)

prowla

12 minutes ago, prowla said:

I think they’ll be able to sort people’s own accounts from shared/anecdotal info. 

I also think defence solicitors are quite capable of claiming that a load of witnesses were working together... I'd just suggest not using this thread to share any information on witness statements etc.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I also think defence solicitors are quite capable of claiming that a load of witnesses were working together... I'd just suggest not using this thread to share any information on witness statements etc.

I see what you are saying. 
People submitting the actual screen dumps of the actual messages they received could not be construed as anything beyond face value. 
Of course, the fact that people collectively realised that they were being taken in by the same scam and being given the exact same shipment id could not be construed as collusion. 
But there is some boundary there, yes. 

Edited by prowla

4 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

As many people here have been asked to give evidence regarding the same case, I suggest that care is taken not to share details etc. as no-one wants to be accused of collusion.

I wouldn’t worry about that. Collusion usually becomes an issue when more than one individual gives the same account regarding one specific act to strengthen the evidence in that offence. It’s generally not multiple individuals giving the same account about similar acts. Each act will be judged on its own merits and backed up by its unique evidential trail.

I am no expert but I wonder if, as things are moving in the right direction, the thread is locked for now? I am sure there's no real danger but we haven't got anything more we can add to the story and it would be awful if there was any chance at all that this thread could assist the alleged fraudster.

Just suggesting caution and it looks as though our actions have had the desired effect.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

I am no expert but I wonder if, as things are moving in the right direction, the thread is locked for now? I am sure there's no real danger but we haven't got anything more we can add to the story and it would be awful if there was any chance at all that this thread could assist the alleged fraudster.

Just suggesting caution and it looks as though our actions have had the desired effect.

I’ve said it before but I’ll re-iterate it anyay, whether this forms part of the evidence or not, the thread still forms part of disclosure, as the defence could argue it may assist them in some way. The fact that there are comments on the thread that suggest some posts have been edited and/or modified by Admin/Mods makes it even more complicated. The defence could request any redacted information in the belief it could assist them. It won’t, but it doesn’t stop them making an application.

• Like 2

The facts are that multiple people were scammed by a convicted fraudster and have registered independent cases with Action Fraud.

Regardless of whether or not some or all of the victims have discussed it online, the fact is that each has their own independent personal set of communications to submit as evidence.

The underlying theme and advice of this thread has been to (a) identify the fact that multiple people have been caught out by the same scam, (b) be firm in demanding the refund, and (c) advise people to go the official route for redress.

As far as I can tell, there has been nothing which could be construed as collusion or fabrication and the veracity of each victim's story can be established by the evidence they have retained.

The mods have certainly done a great job of keeping this thread on-track and should be commended for helping stop the scam being perpetuated over the ensuing months whilst the wheels of justice spun up to speed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

@prowla - I agree. My point wasn’t about whether this forum could assist the aggrieved parties, it was about not assisting the defence.

Absolutely - I reckon there would be slim pickings here for a defence against a charge of purposefully scamming people.

On 14/04/2021 at 13:47, Dad3353 said:

Being blindfolded doesn't help. :|

On 14/04/2021 at 11:12, ped said:

Looks like the cops are doing F all about this so far so he might as well start murdering people 

Didn't think jokes were allowed on this thread... 

On 14/04/2021 at 14:13, BigRedX said:

To all those affected: stick with it. As others have said these things unfortunately take time. I'm currently involved in a fraud investigation that has been going on for almost 7 months since I first contacted Action Fraud. The DC who has been dealing with it is just finishing up gathering evidence, and then it will be up to the CPS to decide if the case is strong enough to be worth going to court. In this case the money involved is considerably more than the cost of a handful of imaginary Sansamps.

However it is important to not give up. Fraudsters tend to get away with it because the victims give up because it all becomes too much bother, especially if the monies involved are relatively small. Don't let this case go the same way. £100 may not be a lot to you, but it might be to others affected, and from what I have read here, there are a lot of people affected so it all adds up. For those who have contact from the Police, reply promptly and let them know all the details. If you haven't heard anything more after two or three weeks, send a brief and polite follow-up email, just to let the Police know you are still interested in pursuing this. Keep all your correspondence with the fraudster, especially any where they make threats against you - the Police really don't like that. 

Good luck to all those affected.

Nothing's going to happen about this. There's been absolutely zero movement from any of the relevant law or legal services and he's gone off the grid. His tribute bands are booking gigs, his band members are aware of what he's been going and don't care. It'll end up with him getting off scott-free apart from the small punishment of being banned from a handful of Facebook groups. 

3 minutes ago, ForbiddenWytch said:

Nothing's going to happen about this. There's been absolutely zero movement from any of the relevant law or legal services and he's gone off the grid. His tribute bands are booking gigs, his band members are aware of what he's been going and don't care. It'll end up with him getting off scott-free apart from the small punishment of being banned from a handful of Facebook groups. 

Several people have had E-mails from the Police asking if they still want to support the action...that's movement isn't it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ForbiddenWytch said:

I've had a few emails and spoken to an agent. And now communication from the police. I'd say things are indeed moving, somewhere at least.

His reputation in this community is ruined and I know of a few musicians who have now cut ties with him. We are all aware and vigilant. If that's the best we can do, then its something.

Edited by NJLMusicUK

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I just joined that group as well. Noticed a friends band has put themselves forward. Have messaged him to delete it. 

I've not been accepted, have a feeling he might be a mod on there or as the member requests are open to being rejected by other members, he might have rejected my request. 

5 minutes ago, ForbiddenWytch said:

I've not been accepted, have a feeling he might be a mod on there or as the member requests are open to being rejected by other members, he might have rejected my request. 

Ah, I’ll withdraw that then. It’s a public group so at least you can view it anyway.

1 hour ago, ForbiddenWytch said:

I’ve just been accepted,  it I did it in the band name rather than mine. We’ll see what happens.

• prowla changed the title to I have been ripped off (by Mick Mason of Leicester - Facebook scammer/thief)