Why become a member? ×

I have been ripped off (by Mick Mason of Leicester - Facebook scammer/thief)

prowla

I think this is the list so far, note that some have got their money back. 

@prowla@walshy @nick_gontarski (allegedly owed gig money) @ForbiddenWytch @DIYorDie @Jamie Snell @Jamiexsilver @wavydavy @Dangreen326 @SamPlaysBass @misterhank 

Edited by Dad3353
Keep it street legal, please...
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, BassTractor said:

I get the idea that @walshy may be talking about the earlier attempt by Mick Mason  -  one that lasted for 20 minutes.
Jamie Snell OTOH is still unbanned on BC, and might be totally legit.
It's just that I thought it best to still propose that people be aware, as in my mind, reading threads is not the same as asking for specific info  -  info that would provide a scammer with an overview over how much of this is keyboard warring and how much of it is action that actually has been taken.

I’m very much legit and feel a bit miffed to have been mentioned in this way. I contacted Paul Walsh following one of his posts on FB and he directed me here. I have screen shots showing my conversations with Mick.

15DEA873-CCFC-4A42-B38F-2314267F1783.png

• Like 3

9 hours ago, prowla said:

The sticky has details of Action Fraud and other information.

You can also report to your local police and, of course, your bank.

Ok I will check out the Action Fraud. 

Fortunately  I got a refund, but I don’t want anyone else to fall victim to Mick.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jamie Snell said:

I’m very much legit and feel a bit miffed to have been mentioned in this way. I contacted Paul Walsh following one of his posts on FB and he directed me here. I have screen shots showing my conversations with Mick.

15DEA873-CCFC-4A42-B38F-2314267F1783.png

Yeah he’s deffo legit as I said. Contacted me on FB. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jamie Snell said:

I’m very much legit and feel a bit miffed to have been mentioned in this way.

Sorry about that, Jamie. Please accept it was not personal. I can understand your feelings in this, and possible feelings were the reason I tried to write about a pattern of possibilities, initially without mentioning names.
I only mentioned you when I felt forced, and did so by writing that you might be entirely legit.

Your posts was only one of several that made me see the possibility that Mick Mason already was back - smarter this time. I wished to remind people to remain aware, and said so.

best,
bert

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BassTractor said:

Sorry about that, Jamie. Please accept it was not personal. I can understand your feelings in this, and possible feelings were the reason I tried to write about a pattern of possibilities, initially without mentioning names.
I only mentioned you when I felt forced, and did so by writing that you might be entirely legit.

Your posts was only one of several that made me see the possibility that Mick Mason already was back - smarter this time. I wished to remind people to remain aware, and said so.

best,
bert

No worries Bert. Fortunately I got my refund, but clearly many others didn’t and I want to help to ensure he doesn’t get away with this.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jamie Snell said:

No worries Bert. Fortunately I got my refund, but clearly many others didn’t and I want to help to ensure he doesn’t get away with this.

Good news and welcome here, Jamie; you can understand that many people's suspicion-o-meters are set to high sensitivity at the moment.

I want to thank everyone in here who insisted that this thread would stay open and public. Just caught up with it.

Mr. Mason is lucky indeed so few people that fell for his antics took action with Police, legal ways or just plain accepted his invites to have a ‘chat’, as attempting to write on a keyboard or even play bass with a few broken fingers I’m told can be challenging.

Just as another word of warning from someone who used to study conmen and scams for a few years (of which by the way he is only the latter, as conman is too much of a compliment for such a...silly Willy), obviously do not give any credence to anything he says - starting from ‘I’ve shipped your pedal’ to ‘I’ll sue you’ to ‘I’m coming over for a wee chat’. Just do not engage in angry countertalk as it fuels the scammer with the knowledge you are all still pending from his lips to get your own money back. Do not cede to conditions to get your money back. Stay calm and collected, pat him on the head and let it flow underneath your feet while you compile fraud and police reports. 
Do not give belief in any of his friends or associates contacting you on their behalf.

Do not give belief if he tells you he’s talking to the police and *he* needs info from you to forward the police. 
Do not give belief if you get contacted by an ‘attorney’ or a ‘legal representative’ shortly after you’ve asked your money back or threatening to take legal action. If anyone falls for this specifically, they will go into the ‘sinker’ part of ‘hook, line and sinker’ and the scammer will manage to get even more money out of you.

Do not fall for the thought process of ‘why would he do that for 50 or 100 quid? He gigs around/has a job/whatever’. This is literally the same argument thieves (and we are talking about people stealing millions) make when caught on fingerprints ‘why would I do it that way? I’d have worn gloves’ - the reason is because they’re lazy and incompetent, for if they weren’t, they wouldn’t be stealing or get caught  in the first place. 

And although I do sympathise with anyone who has an addiction of any kind, do not give belief when the scammer hides behind those things as they are just another layer of lies.

He finds himself in quite the unlucky situation of someone who not only has been exposed and now reported a few times, but also has a recorded criminal history and keeps forging identities and protected material, thus creating even more criminal liability on top of what would have been a ‘simple’ product fraud/attempt issue.

I can’t help much more if not by saying that I am willing to chip in with SERIOUS amounts for help with legal costs against this person, as it will be sunk money for everyone even when the cases will be won.

Let’s be clear, very few people will get their money back from it regardless. Even Her Majesty can’t squeeze blood out of a rock. Most of the times, those people live by flipping profits from a scam to the next, and they stay overexposed for way too long and will NEED to scam MORE people in order to give YOU your money back. And guess what, once they do, a good portion of the cases they will think ‘well...I’d rather keep this money now’.

I am glad to see a good portion of the basschatters who were victims going out of their way to keep this thread healthy and alive. Scammers make it a matter of principle and so should you all. 
Just like the magnificent guy who knocked on every door until he found his house, then magically the money appeared on his bank account. THAT, by the way, Mr. Mason, is how you successfully threaten people, and how you are a class act about it (I can say for sure if I had been in their shoes, I definitely wouldn’t have been happy with just being refunded, I’d have definitely insisted on sitting down with him and have a nice...group videochat with the rest of the BC fellas myself)

I’m sorry for the lengthy and frankly quite useless post, but after eating through 30-odd pages, my blood has been boiling non stop and this helped calm me down a bit. Mods, let me know if I have used unnecessarily unkind words towards him, so I can edit them out.

Peace and happy festivities to you all low end geezers,

Em

Edited by akabane
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 3

In case anybody is wondering about his bullying and manipulative tendencies, here's couple of excerpts from my messenger conversations with him where he said he was coming to my house "to refund me":

image.png.8471117dd5f2b2da237c7c75a3595ccb.png

image.thumb.png.e03b82a40304d9d5b15c158e99f51e9e.png

Note it includes threats to have my FB profile removed, insults, told me to "give it up", and the assertion that I should "man up".

I wasn't going to accept meeting at my house, because one of the members here suggested that he could then not turn up, but post a message along the lines of "Great to meet you earlier and glad we could sort it all out.", which would then turn into a case of his word against mine (even though he is a convicted fraudster, liar, and counterfeiter).

I enjoyed suggesting we should meet at the local police station, but the funniest bit was where he said to me "Why lie" - that was a case of the pot calling the kettle black!

This is the measure of the man.

Then later, further attempts to manipulate events via his proxy "Jason Lear" account:

image.png.8509ab5decf0794b3767b1c469c32a22.png

image.png.b0307e614bded98e86b555f0dae93a7c.png

image.png.35fd09db918f01aeade095fd22fa65a8.png

The cover was slipping throughout that Jason Lear conversation, though I played it straight.

The "I've a relative who's a lawyer" ruse was fairly transparent, but the telling bit was the "I've (over) £100 too", where he slipped to 1st person.

Edited by prowla

9 minutes ago, prowla said:

In case anybody is wondering about his bullying and manipulative tendencies, here's couple of excerpts from my messenger conversations with him where he said he was coming to my house "to refund me":

[snipped out screenshots]

Note it includes threats to have my FB profile removed, insults, told me to "give it up", and the assertion that I should "man up".

I wasn't going to accept meeting at my house, because one of the members here suggested that he could then not turn up, but post a message along the lines of "Great to meet you earlier and glad we could sort it all out.", which would then turn into a case of his word against mine (even though he is a convicted fraudster, liar, and counterfeiter).

I enjoyed suggesting we should meet at the local police station, but the funniest bit was where he said to me "Why lie" - that was a case of the pot calling the kettle black!

Then later, further attempts to manipulate events via his proxy "Jason Lear" account:

The cover was slipping throughout that Jason Lear conversation, though I played it straight

The "I've a relative who's a lawyer" ruse was fairly transparent, but the telling bit was the "I've (over) £100 too", where he slipped to 1st person.

Thank you for posting these in a more legible way.

It is of uttermost importance than nobody should actually feel threatened by this character and they save eventual threats for future reference.

Edited by akabane
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, akabane said:

Thank you for posting these in a more legible way.

It is of uttermost importance than nobody should actually feel threatened by this character and they save eventual threats for future reference.

🙂 As you can see, I have them saved.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, prowla said:

The cover was slipping throughout that Jason Lear conversation, though I played it straight.

Pretty similar to the messages I read from another person he tried to scam and I was helping to recover his money. From the bullying to the threatening and the solicitors.

Edited by PauBass
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, prowla said:

Those are basically the exact same threats I got but different numbers were thrown about and much like you, I got called a peadophile quite a few times. He’s such a charmer. Modern day Romeo.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ped said:

Just hidden a bunch more posts. If we can’t keep the updates clean and above reproach then I’ll lock the thread. Thanks to the mods who have been helping too. 

C’mon folks - let’s not make it hard on the mods:

• No matter what you would personally like to do to the miscreant, let’s not voice it!
  • There’s no need to give his address here.
  • Think before venting, 

This thread is a really useful resource; let’s keep it going.

Edited by prowla
  • Like 7

• prowla changed the title to I have been ripped off (by Mick Mason of Leicester - Facebook scammer/thief)
  • Hamster locked this topic
  • Hamster unlocked this topic