Why become a member? ×

I have been ripped off (by Mick Mason of Leicester - Facebook scammer/thief)

prowla

1 hour ago, Billy Apple said:

Who can get a lawyer for £150 an hour? £250 more like!

And the costs escalate drastically once research for a case gets under way. Not only that, but a lot depends on who is paying the bill.

I write for a living, so I maintain healthy liability insurance that covers relevant risks. I think I'm insured for about $5 million or something like that. If someone were to bring an unjustified defamation action against me, for example, my insurance company would underwite the costs of my case. It would be in their interests to shut down any frivolous claims very firmly, not least as a deterrent.

Insurers sometimes settle nuisance suits out of expediency, but woe betide the plaintiff who brings a weak case against a defendent with a robust backline of professionals.

People who play games with defamation law very often regret it. Remember David Irving? His libel action ended up costing him his Mayfair flat and bankrupting him. And the 2013 Defamation Act has changed conditions in the UK a great deal.

I also wonder if issuing repeated threats to sue might be construed as harrassment in some circumstances, such as a situation where an action would constitute abuse of process? I wouldn't like to take my chances with that possible vulnerability.

At £250 an hour, or even £25 an hour, answering these questions gets very expensive very quickly.

Even the least disciplined gambler might conclude that the odds are well and truly against him in this complex area of civil law.

Edited by Pseudonym
Formatting
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

And the costs escalate drastically once research for a case gets under way. Not only that, but a lot depends on who is paying the bill.

I also wonder if issuing repeated threats to sue might be construed as harrassment in some circumstances, such as a situation where an action would constitute abuse of process? I wouldn't like to take my chances with that possible vulnerability.

I have seen that happen with a claim my MIL put in against a company for negligence. It was eventually settled OOC, but as soon as the lawyer was instructed the fees started to rocket. And that's before the Barrister was engaged!

Repeated threats .....yes, harassment. I sorted several banks out with LBA letters during the financial crash. Definitely something to bear in mind.

Mick, if you're reading this: wind your neck in! You're on a hiding to nothing!

Edited by NikNik

48 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Scamming is just another form of thievery. They are criminals and, if they find their activities normal behaviour, have sociopathic tendencies. 

I think that there seem to be apparent stages in this:

1. The scam/theft.
  2. Denial and subterfuge (for example lies and attempts to cover up).
  3. Escalation to bullying and intimidation directed at the victim (including insults, swearing and threats).
  4. Outright aggression and threats (for example fabricating smears against the victim or threatening to come to their house).

The bullying & intimidation is where it crosses the line from being a simple scam, whereas the aggression and threats constitute a point of no-return; the idea that the scammer can take it that far and then expect their victim to just be happy and walk away when they return their money is somewhat fanciful.

Edited by prowla
  • Like 7

A good mate of mine is a "mutual friend" on Facebook.

I sent him Ped's link as a heads up.

He said that he had been pestered for months to join one of Mason's "many tribute bands" and expressed gratitude for the heads up.

I think Ped is doing sterling work and this thread has stopped at least one good guy possibly being ripped off.👍

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

He looks quite an intimidating presence, maybe he has used this much of his life and got away with bullying behaviour, of which this is an extension.

20 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

Doubt it, he does not look like a fighter ..... why else was he picking on the elderly. Nope, he probably is more like a scared rat as many many people will have issues with him and he clearly is “hiding”.

I expect he may appear intimidating, but there is no value in a physical confrontation; that would serve no purpose and help nobody. 
The danger in physical confrontation is that you don’t know if the other person has skills, is carrying a weapon, or is just plain more of a nutter than you. 

Edited by prowla
  • Like 3

Hi all, it’s sad to see that even more victims have come forward.

Can I just check what, if any, action has been started to raise this with two relevant authorities as I would be pleased to assist by providing evidence. If it has been reported to The Police or any other body please can someone provide the relevant contact details and reference number(s) etc. Thanks!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Still more people coming forward this morning on FB. Lots now mentioning this thread too so obviously gaining momentum. I’m glad I got the cash back, same for @prowla and a couple of others but as it’s showing still loads more out there, some going back a long time! Keep up the good work all

Wow, I didn't know there had been so many people scammed by this person!

I'm the admin of the Bass Players Market UK.
As soon as @ForbiddenWytch contacted me, I removed his Adverts and got in touch with most of the Music equipment Sale groups to warn them about this guy. Their response was amazing and they all remove his Ads and banned him from the group.
Now we have a Facebook chat where we can all warn each other when cases similar happen so we can all act quickly.

Happy to liaise with Basschat admins so we can all work together.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 5

48 minutes ago, Jamie Snell said:

Hi all, it’s sad to see that even more victims have come forward.

Can I just check what, if any, action has been started to raise this with two relevant authorities as I would be pleased to assist by providing evidence. If it has been reported to The Police or any other body please can someone provide the relevant contact details and reference number(s) etc. Thanks!

The sticky has details of Action Fraud and other information.

You can also report to your local police and, of course, your bank.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PauBass said:

As soon as @ForbiddenWytch contacted me, I removed his Adverts and got in touch with most of the Music equipment Sale groups to warn them about this guy. Their response was amazing and they all remove his Ads and banned him from the group.
Now we have a Facebook chat where we can all warn each other when cases similar happen so we can all act quickly.

Amazing mate, glad we as a community are standing up together.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PauBass said:

He claimed he was an admin/friends with many on FB; one group removed my warning a week or so ago.

image.thumb.png.2d3366f1cbc3398d66cda7da60a9ce84.png

Edited by prowla
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, prowla said:

He claimed he was an admin/friends with many on FB; one group removed my warning a week or so ago.

All the groups I contacted banned him from their groups...as we did on ours. And removed his posts.
If some of them allowed him back I don't know but we for sure have not done so.

Our case was back on the 8th of December.

Edited by PauBass
  • Like 1

I started the above mentioned thread on FB recounting the experience I've had with Mick Mason in trying to buy a sansamp pedal from him.
My experience sounds like it;s that same that others have had - no pedal, excuses excuses excuses  and no refund from him.
Thanks to paubass here for advise and support,
I am intending to rais e acase through Action Fraud (as he's suggested)  and with the Police (once I've finished with this self isolation period I'm in!)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve Browning said:

Alas poor Jamie. Did you Snell a rat?

I get the idea that @walshy may be talking about the earlier attempt by Mick Mason  -  one that lasted for 20 minutes.
Jamie Snell OTOH is still unbanned on BC, and might be totally legit.
It's just that I thought it best to still propose that people be aware, as in my mind, reading threads is not the same as asking for specific info  -  info that would provide a scammer with an overview over how much of this is keyboard warring and how much of it is action that actually has been taken.

Edited by BassTractor
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

I get the idea that @walshy may be talking about an earlier attempt by Mick Mason  -  one that lasted for 20 minutes.
Jamie Snell OTOH is still unbanned on BC, and might be totally legit.
It's just that I thought it best to still propose that people be aware, as in my mind, reading threads is not the same as asking for specific info  -  info that would provide a scammer with an overview over how much of this is keyboard warring and how much of it is action that actually has been taken.

Yeah it’s not Jamie, he’s also been taken for cash too. Contacted me on FB too.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Guitartango said:

Dear Mr Scammer

Did you close down your facebook account ?

https://www.facebook.com/jason.lear.1485

Do not worry I took screenshots with the photo you took from another profile 

Or maybe it wasn't you ?

Is it possible that the person whose photo was used on that fake account may have found out about it?

• Like 1