Why become a member? ×

I have been ripped off (by Mick Mason of Leicester - Facebook scammer/thief)

prowla

58 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

It would cost about £250,000 to bring a case in front of a judge.  He's not serious in the slightest. 

People who threaten libel or slander on social media are 99.9% incapable of following through and it's just a smokescreen. However, if you get a letter out of the blue from Carter Ruck it can have more clout but that is just a well-heeled person's way of keeping out of the headlines.

29 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

People who threaten libel or slander on social media are 99.9% incapable of following through and it's just a smokescreen. However, if you get a letter out of the blue from Carter Ruck it can have more clout but that is just a well-heeled person's way of keeping out of the headlines.

And there are the criteria that need to be met for a libel claim to be valid, one of which is demonstrating that damage has been caused to reputation. I'm no lawyer but I'd speculate it's a bit difficult to damage something that is already in tatters.  

• Like 1

The current update is that someone I am talking to has been told by someone who knows the man well has seen a proof of posting to an address in Reading with my name on it.

But he won't let him see it and he won't give the info to me...

UPDATE: I HAVE NOW RECEIVED MY REFUND.

Edited by prowla
  • Haha 3

On 20/12/2020 at 16:56, binky_bass said:

Then it doesn't exist. There is no earthly reason why he wouldn't provide you proof of postage if it exists.

There is definitely a certain whiff about it.

Edited by prowla

8 minutes ago, prowla said:

The current update is that someone I am talking to has been told by someone who knows the man well has seen a proof of posting to an address in Reading with my name on it.

I’ve got some really really close friends but I’m not sure I’ve ever Sat in a pub with them and  shared proof of purchase Receipts with them, and even if they had I’m not sure I would have memorised all the names and addresses. 
even less likely to look through a mates receipt at the moment cos the pubs are shut...

• Like 3

On 20/12/2020 at 17:06, LukeFRC said:

I’ve got some really really close friends but I’m not sure I’ve ever Sat in a pub with them and  shared proof of purchase Receipts with them, and even if they had I’m not sure I would have memorised all the names and addresses. 
even less likely to look through a mates receipt at the moment cos the pubs are shut...

The context was that the friend is looking to get it resolved and has seen it as part of that.

Edited by prowla

This is getting silly. Get the small claims court and the police involved now. Ignore any stories this idiot dreams up and just go through all the legal routes you can. Also suggest a call to FB and perhaps a legal letter re the pedophilia before someone as simple as the thief thinks it is real and causes all sorts of issues for you with employers etc

• Like 12

24 minutes ago, Bobthedog said:

This is getting silly. Get the small claims court and the police involved now. Ignore any stories this idiot dreams up and just go through all the legal routes you can. Also suggest a call to FB and perhaps a legal letter re the pedophilia before someone as simple as the thief thinks it is real and causes all sorts of issues for you with employers etc

Definitely this. Stuff like that takes on a life of its own and there are those who would say no smoke without fire. 

However ridiculous I would nip that in the bud.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, prowla said:

He doctored his own bank statements to prove he'd refunded his caravan customers. His 'proof of posting' is probably proof of nothing. 

Fraud then intimidation equals police then finishing his suspended sentence inside. 

• Like 2

Sooner rather than later, I expect, Everything Changes are going to need a replacement bassist as their current bassist might be temporarily unavailable.

I hope as many Basschatters as possible will schedule auditions for that coveted showbiz role, and then mess the band around endlessly with tranparently worthless excuses before failing utterly to turn up.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

People like this are actually lower than those that rob old ladies.

He literally did rob an old lady in the caravan saga:

Prosecutor Adam Pearson read comments made by Mason’s victims to the court.

One pensioner said: “My husband and I saved all year for that holiday. I feel like Mr Mason snatched my purse out of my hand and ran away with it.”

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I've been assured I will receive repayment by today; it's not there yet, but I guess "by today" could be interpreted as by close of business or even by midnight.

It has been suggested that I should take the posts down beforehand, but I responded that if I do that it'll simply be interpreted as "problem solved", so I'm not accepting pre-conditions on having my money rightfully returned.

Edited by prowla
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, prowla said:

I've been assured I will receive repayment by today; it's not there yet, but I guess "by today" could be interpreted as by close of business or even by midnight.

It has been suggested that I should take the posts down beforehand, but I responded that if I do that it'll simply be interpreted as "problem solved", so I'm not accepting pre-conditions on having my money rightfully returned.

why would he be refunding you if he has proof of postage?

• Thanks 1

I really don't understand how you're handling this. This guy needs to be dealt with by the police. Even if you do get your money back tonight (I'd bet an equal amount you won't) I guarantee he'll continue to do this to others. This really needs to be raised with the police and dealt with as fraud, his suspended sentence would hopefully then revert to a custodial sentence and maybe, just maybe, he'll then think twice before conning others. I'm tempted to buy something from him in the hopes he scams me so I can deal with this!!

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 6

On 21/12/2020 at 09:11, Kev said:

why would he be refunding you if he has proof of postage?

"Proof" of postage, not proof of delivery (or attempted delivery); he confirmed that the item was returned to him.

Edited by prowla

8 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

Even if you do get your money back tonight (I'd bet an equal amount you won't) I guarantee he'll continue to do this to others. This really needs to be raised with the police and dealt with as fraud, his suspended sentence would hopefully then revert to a custodial sentence and maybe, just maybe, he'll then think twice before conning others.

This, 100%. We know for a fact that he has no scruples or moral compass -- see swindling pensioners for details -- and he'll just move on to the next target. He's got to be stopped, now. Just think of all the misery you'll be preventing.

• Like 1

It's not specifically about the money for me, but the act of getting it back would be a small victory.

I would certainly not expect the folks here to club together for that amount, though it is an incredibly generous gesture and says much for the spirit of this community.

I know that the posts here have certainly raised the profile of the issue and caused certain ructions (not least because the band site has a link to a thread on a neighbouring site).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Will you go to the police if you get the money back anyway?

I suppose its easy for us all here to say what we should do to him but it's not our home address a convicted criminal has.

Good point. Criminal has nothing to lose, he's already labelled a criminal in eyes of the law.

You on the other hand don't need this kind of aggro over the festive period.

Have you reported it to the police @prowla ? otherwise this thread is gonna run forever with everyone else getting angry and agitated which we don't need at Xmas time.

Report it to the police and Facebook. Let them deal with it and move on to enjoy Xmas.

Don't let this ruin your festive spirit.

• Like 4

not defending this guy, but it may help us understand his behaviour if we understand that he does appear to have a gambling problem and he'll do anything to get the money for his next fix, bit like a drug addict or an alcoholic, he doesn't care about the distress he causes other people

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• prowla changed the title to I have been ripped off (by Mick Mason of Leicester - Facebook scammer/thief)
  • Hamster locked this topic
  • Hamster unlocked this topic