Why become a member? ×

Gibson Thunderbird 2021

NancyJohnson

Just now, cetera said:

I just saw that pic too....

So it's true?! Well, Gibson must have handed over a pretty penny in royalties to persuade Gene to play that on NYE!

I just saw it too.  I don't know how I feel about it to be honest; yep, I know he used a Thunderbird about 40 years ago (albeit briefly/on and off), but [you] really don't know what the Gibson mindset is here, whether they feel they're bringing him back into the fold or whether they believe that there's going to be hundreds of bassists queueing up to buy one if it went into production.

That said, the guys in the know at LBO are claiming this isn't anything to do with whatever Gibson are planning for the model in 2021.  Phew!

2 hours ago, cetera said:

I just saw that pic too....

So it's true?! Well, Gibson must have handed over a pretty penny in royalties to persuade Gene to play that on NYE!

Assuming they release the Simmons Sig commercially it's a pretty sound investment.

Kiss have a proven track record of selling high priced merch items to their fans. (That's not a criticism, just an observation).

There will be non- bass playing Kiss fans who will quite happily hand over their money for a Simmons sig bass, especially if it's some kind of imited edition.

I imagine they'll sell a few to actual bass players as well.

Edited by Cato

12 minutes ago, James Nada said:

The KISS nerd in me always liked the aesthetic Gene using a Thunderbird in the 70s

Thunderbird1977a.jpg

Yep, purely a backup bass to his main Spector SB1 Custom in 1977/1978. EBO pickup in the neck.....Check out Christine Sixteen on the Largo 78 show on Youtube to see it in action....

Edited by cetera

• 4 weeks later...

Well, Gibson, you had the chance to make 2021 special, but alas no.  There really is nothing like not listening to your customer base.

So what's bass highlight?  Sorry, lowlight?  A chromed up, Non-fecking-Reverse reissue in a few dandy colours with a three-point bridge.  Sheesh.  Man alive, what a treat.

No Thunderbird II, no two part bridges.  No Grabber or Ripper (these will probably arrive with Gene Simmons' face on them, I suppose).  Ack.

Basses aside, no sign of a 50s spec double-cut Les Paul Junior, either.

Anyhoo, what a treat.  At least I have a minty Hamer arriving in a couple of days.

image.png

Edited by NancyJohnson