Why become a member? ×

Gibson Thunderbird 2021

NancyJohnson

Very cryptic post over on the LBO saying there's some 'exciting Thunderbird news coming in 2021'.  This was posted by the the guy that makes the Badbird bridges.

My long dalliance with Gibson ended about five years ago, but I'll admit I'm interested in what the news is.  Custom colours?  Chrome?  Two part bridges?  NR models?  IIs and IVs? 60s specs?  Bicentennial reissues?

Maybe Mark Agnesi has seen how well the Epiphones have been doing and believes it's time for Gibson to cash in.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

^^^This^^^ for me would make the most sense. It would be a missed opportunity if they just launch a blue one. :biggrin:

I have a mate who owns a sapphire blue one...Japanese market edition.

Just adding something else, two or three years ago, I had an extensive dialogue with Thomann about custom colours (at the time, Thunderbirds were only available new in sunbursts, although they'd done black and white/blonde models previously); they hadn't given much thought to it, but were generally receptive to a Thomann Special but they baulked at the minimum quantities Gibson were saying they needed to order.

I've never understood why Gibson basses are generally limited to cherry, sunburst or black, especially given that the spray booths are painting/finishing Les Pauls/SGs in a multitude of colours/finishes.

Anyhow, let's see what happens and I may dip my toe in Gibson waters again.  Unless, that is if Korg finally agree to pull the trigger on a Euro Spector X.

It's Kiss, so chances are that they'll be available to order as part of a very expensive 'meet and greet' package.

I think their standard package is a few thousand dollars for a chinese made Gene Simmons Axe sig that he uses on stage for one song.

If he's putting a Gibson package together that's going to come with a hefty mark up.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

It does seem odd (that if these are genuine), that they've gone with a Supertone bridge.  It's a wonderful bit of kit and the thing I upgraded to pretty much immediately as and when my Thunderbirds arrive, but the Babicz is (while subjective) just better; the design is sleeker, it looks more traditional.

6 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

Gene stopped playing Thunderbirds around '74 so clearly it's a long relationship he's had with the model! I loved those Grabbers he used but he ditched those by the end of the 70s too.

In 1974 Gene played his Charles Lobue custom bass and then Gibson Ripper/Grabber basses (which he didn't use past 1975). When his Lobue was stolen from the back of Micki Free's car in 1976 he had Stuart Spector build him a couple of customised Spector SB1 basses and didn't actually ever play a Thunderbird at all until 1977/78 when he used it as a back up onstage. You can see it on the Largo 77 live video during 'Christine Sixteen'. It has a mirror pickguard and one of the pickups had been replaced with an EBO.

Not sure that this new Gene TBird is real. I think it's someone having a little fun...;)

Why would he have Gibson make a bass he doesn't like the feel of... and share the money with them.... when he can make any variation of his Punisher, Axe or a wholly new designed bass for sale and keep ALL the money?

1 hour ago, Cato said:

I think their standard package is a few thousand dollars for a chinese made Gene Simmons Axe sig that he uses on stage for one song.

The Axe he plays/sells as part of his meet/greet package is not made in China and is actually made for him by Fernandes.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, StickyDBRmf said:

I've never played one. Silly questions: Are they comfortable? How's the neck? Do they sound good? 

It's all subjective. 

I find the shape very comfortable, standing or sitting. Necks vary, my white one had the skinniest neck of any bass I've ever played.

Tonally?  This is the important one and again subjective.  One man's meat etc.  What do you want it to sound like?  I've always gone through some kind of processing, I like a bit of grit/dirt and through a Sansamp RBI/RPM/BDDI, for me it was dreamy, almost Rickenbacker-esque.  The white one (above) was fantastic for me tonally (I only moved it along as I had my Lull coming in).