Why become a member? ×

Hello friends 1x12 cab build

KinkMaster

Lower the weight, get more out of the two 12-speaker. I honestly don't think it's very profitable to have two 12 speakers behind each other !!!!  My favorite sound is 4x10, but this cab came in a business, I already have a 4x10 and this 212, so I would have  2 x12 at 8 ohms separately (I think the speakers are 8 ohms, if they're not out of the question  )  and one 4x10 at 4 ohms

Is it worth it? From the standpoint of output, yes, because a 212 isobaric only plays as loud as a standard configuration 112. But you can't just pull one driver out of the 212 box and expect it to function optimally. You'd need to build two cabs, with the cab design compatible with the driver Thiele/Small specs.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

Is it worth it? From the standpoint of output, yes, because a 212 isobaric only plays as loud as a standard configuration 112. But you can't just pull one driver out of the 212 box and expect it to function optimally. You'd need to build two cabs, with the cab design compatible with the driver Thiele/Small specs.

Yes, and in that way, I would I keep the original cab for who knows, one day they would sell it !!! a sheet of plywood is not expensive glue and screws are not lacking, only the desire to "work" lol

as you are thinking of building new cabinets you might do better to start with a known driver and a proven design, a good place to start would be the Basschat 12" cab, as built by a number of members. 

1x12" Cab Design Diary - Amps and Cabs - Basschat

another good place to look is Bill's excellent range of cab designs, these are very well respected designs with many fans (i still fancy replacing our PA system with some BFM designed cabs) the Simplexx cabs would be a great place to start.

https://billfitzmaurice.info

I will admit that i haven't built cabs myself, and many years ago i did buy a pair of 10's to build a cab of my own, this never happened (for various reasons) and i ended up buying a pair of lightweight 12" cabs instead.

before you start it would be a good idea to find out exactly what drivers you have and get the full spec sheet for them (thiele-small parameters) bass cabs need careful design to match the driver to the enclosure if you want good results.

Matt

Edited by Matt P
spelling

23 minutes ago, Paddy515 said:

I think Im right in saying that if your Orange212 cab is 8 ohms, then the speakers must either be 4 ohm or 16 ohm.

Yes, the speakers will be 4 or 16 ohms so if your plan is to pair with the 4 ohm 4x10 then you  will need an amp that goes down to 2 ohms and even then you will only be able to use 2 cabs at a time.

Orange quote that the speakers are Neo Eminence, but nothing to say which ones (and there are quite a few different versions available)

Matt

It's probably that those speakers would work well in the Basschat 1x12. We've modelled quite a few speakers now in the cab and it's as near an all purpose cab as you can get. No guarantees though, but if you can get Orange to cough up the specs or find out what drive units they used we could optimise the cabs 

As Bill has pointed out, and from your OP I think you know anyway, you are carrying a lot of speaker for very little advantage. 

Commercially it would probably make sense to sell the cab intact and buy new drive units. The SM212's we used are bout £85 at the moment, the Beyma 12CMV2 is about £65  and the Faital 320 neo speaker is about £120 so if you could get more than £250 for the Orange you'd have new drive units and no design work to do. Of course if you are driven by just curiosity and the thought of a project them for the cost of a bit of wood you can try out your theory and put the orange back together later as you suggest yourself. Knowing the speakers are Eminence makes it a bit easier, most of the eminence speakers will work in the BassChat designs.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I friends, and tanks for the feedback, my main amp is a TB500 MK1 so the little bastard,will deliver the full 500w at either 4 or 8 ohms, so any single cab "stack" must deliver minimum of 500w at 8 ohms, i already have a 4x10 eden cab 600w 4 ohms,  that i used to couple with my other amp ( 300w at 4 ohms), there for wanting a "powerful" single light weight cab, just for band practice and small gigs, for larger stages i will go with the 4x10 (my favorite sound) , maybe will try to sell the obc 212 iso and try to buy a barefaced, but used,  due the lack of cash, and here in Portugal they are very rare, and the ones that show up are mainly the "12 speaker.