Why become a member? ×

Can I have opinions on this please?

Basinski

I’m looking for a cheapish double bass, I’ve come across this one on eBay.

Whilst I do play DB, I’m most definitely not an expert on the actual instrument. Would this be a good purchase, if I can get it for a good price?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Full-Size-Double-Bass-made-in-germany/203210198507?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

The bass looks ok, but always factor in the cost of a set-up, strings and common things like a new bridge and nut. Personally I’d always buy on Basschat from a seller that had an instrument that had been cared for and set up properly. 

As I’ve learned to my detriment, they’re a no such thing as ‘cheap’ when it comes to double bass!

• Like 1

Looking at the pics, the tail wire is worse for wear, the end pin looks like it has tape or something around it, and the bridge is quite a way out of place on the front. You might want to ask for more pics showing if the sound post is in place, fingerboard close ups, headstock to see if there were repairs etc...

He does say collection only and for cash so if you go and it's rubbish you can walk away. Travelling a distance for the right DB is not uncommon. Looking at this one, you'll ask yourself if it's worth the journey.

Edited by TPJ
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TPJ said:

Looking at the pics, the tail wire is worse for wear, the end pin looks like it has tape or something around it, and the bridge is quite a way out of place on the front. You might want to ask for more pics showing if the sound post is in place, fingerboard close ups, headstock to see if there were repairs etc...

He does say collection only and for cash so if you go and it's rubbish you can walk away. Travelling a distance for the right DB is not uncommon. Looking at this one, you'll ask yourself if it's worth the journey.

I did notice the end pin, not the other things you mention though, so thank you, much appreciated.

I know these basses quite well. They're typical "school basses" most of the local authorities bought loads of these back in the early '80s. Most schools here in S Wales had at least a couple of these knocking around. A local residential education centre kept 8 of them. They're all consistent and strong.

Decent sturdy student basses that actually sound half decent considering... Not bad at all for orchestral playing and in my opinion much much better that the new Chinese stuff, gear 4 you etc, and hold their own with instruments 4x the price. 

This one will be well played in, resonant and if it was going to crack, split or the neck fall of it would have done so by now! It'll have a strong bass bar, the sound post will be correct and you won't need to fart about with the nut. 

New bridge £110, strings £200, tail wire 50p and your good to go... Its not shiny, it's not pretty, they have thick gloopy varnish and no-frills machine heads but if it can survive 40 odd yrs knocking around the valleys it'll be ok... 😁 

If you do go see it double check the neck joint is stable. Ignore the bridge, tailpiece, tail gut and strings you will be replacing those anyway. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bloopdad1 said:

I know these basses quite well. They're typical "school basses" most of the local authorities bought loads of these back in the early '80s. Most schools here in S Wales had at least a couple of these knocking around. A local residential education centre kept 8 of them. They're all consistent and strong.

Decent sturdy student basses that actually sound half decent considering... Not bad at all for orchestral playing and in my opinion much much better that the new Chinese stuff, gear 4 you etc, and hold their own with instruments 4x the price. 

This one will be well played in, resonant and if it was going to crack, split or the neck fall of it would have done so by now! It'll have a strong bass bar, the sound post will be correct and you won't need to fart about with the nut. 

New bridge £110, strings £200, tail wire 50p and your good to go... Its not shiny, it's not pretty, they have thick gloopy varnish and no-frills machine heads but if it can survive 40 odd yrs knocking around the valleys it'll be ok... 😁 

If you do go see it double check the neck joint is stable. Ignore the bridge, tailpiece, tail gut and strings you will be replacing those anyway. 

That’s really useful, thank you. I’m not really after something that’s in pristine condition, as long as it’s playable and sounds OK, I’ll be happy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrkelly said:

Bloopdad1's advice is sound. Those old ply basses can work out great for hardly any money. I'll add, definitely ask for the dimensions before checking it out. Either that door in the pic is massive or it's a lot smaller than full size.

Thank you. I did wonder about the size - especially with it being an ex-school instrument.

On top of @Bloopdad1's excellent advice, I'd add that if it's East German then it probably came out of the 'Musima' factory.   Musima basses are generally very solid, built for schools, pretty good sound for a plywood bass and can take a lot of abuse.  I've been playing one for  6 + years, and it's coped with everything from festival mud to freezing vans to stage invasions.

If it's a 3/4 scale (40-41") and there's no damage to the neck or body then £400 is pretty good - you could drop another £400 on a setup/bridge/strings and still have a  value for money bass.

• Like 2

If you're seriously interested, to save you a trip, if it's still up for sale after lockdown  I'll pop over to give it a once over if you want. I'm about 20mins away from Neath. (That's if the seller doesn't mind?) 

I know most of the bassists around here but I don't recognise his ebay name, I don't think the seller is a bassist?? 

(if I haven't already got 4 double basses and 1 EUB then I might have a punt on that bass myself! - but the missus would go nuts!) 🤣 

Edited by Bloopdad1
Poor grammar!
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bloopdad1 said:

If you're seriously interested, to save you a trip, if it's still up for sale after lockdown  I'll pop over to give it a once over if you want. I'm about 20mins away from Neath. (That's if the seller doesn't mind?) 

I know most of the bassists around here but I don't recognise his ebay name, I don't think the seller is a bassist?? 

(if I haven't already got 4 double basses and 1 EUB then I might have a punt on that bass myself! - but the missus would go nuts!) 🤣 

That’s a very kind offer, thank you. Unfortunately it looks like it has sold now anyway.