Why become a member? ×

New bass day! First time Yammy user!

Chopthebass

Finally received my BBNE2 after waiting nearly 4 months. Fantastic build quality and tone. The eq is super powerful, although I’m in two minds about the magic knob. I probably won’t use that. Sorry Nate! 
Not used in anger yet thanks to the apocalypse, but sounds great at room level through my Berg gear. 

4ED90EB2-AF06-46D8-AA76-A82BFD18A0D1.jpeg

Edited by Chopthebass
Typo
  • Like 11

8 hours ago, cetera said:

LOVE these basses!! Wish they'd make a 4 string version though!

We all know your love for Spectors and it's kinda interesting that both the OP and me have a Spector in our armoury as well as the NE2.

Of all my basses I'd say the NE2 took more design cues from Spector (sculpted back, neck through, 3+2 headstock, purely active, seriously meaty low end, 24 very accessible frets) than any other of my basses including my other Yammys. So I'd suspect you'd totally love it if you played 5ers! 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

We all know your love for Spectors and it's kinda interesting that both the OP and me have a Spector in our armoury as well as the NE2.

Of all my basses I'd say the NE2 took more design cues from Spector (sculpted back, neck through, 3+2 headstock, purely active, seriously meaty low end, 24 very accessible frets) than any other of my basses including my other Yammys. So I'd suspect you'd totally love it if you played 5ers! 

I find the magic knob has quite a small window of useable tones. Too high and it goes super thin, and too low gets a bit honky. Just my opinion. 
but you’re right - it does have a beefy low end. And the preamp just needs a small tweak to make a big change. 
I still very much love the Spector 5LT. Equally large bottom! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chopthebass said:

I find the magic knob has quite a small window of useable tones. Too high and it goes super thin, and too low gets a bit honky. 

You've got me thinking I need to remind myself how the Nathan East mid cut works! The best clue is in some of the blurb that goes with his separate pedal.

I'm guessing that as "Deep 4 is his favourite setting" that is what has been incorporated into the bass i.e. a mid scoop at 2kHz which, as you note, has a surprisingly potent effect!

Yamaha NE1 manual.pdf

5 hours ago, Al Krow said:

You've got me thinking I need to remind myself how the Nathan East mid cut works! The best clue is in some of the blurb that goes with his separate pedal.

I'm guessing that as "Deep 4 is his favourite setting" that is what has been incorporated into the bass i.e. a mid scoop at 2kHz which, as you note, has a surprisingly potent effect!

Yamaha NE1 manual.pdf 85.49 kB · 1 download

Thanks Al.

And the magic knob works on top of the main mid control settings, which also affects the sound. Its just hard to re-visit a sound on the fly, as you have to remember where the main 3 knob eq is set, and then the magic knob.

4 hours ago, Chopthebass said:

Thanks Al.

And the magic knob works on top of the main mid control settings, which also affects the sound. Its just hard to re-visit a sound on the fly, as you have to remember where the main 3 knob eq is set, and then the magic knob.

All the main knobs have indents at their centre point. I find a slight cut on the bass to handle that awesome low end and with mid and treble broadly flat is a great starting place.

But usual rules e.g. a little mid boost if you need to cut through more, a bit more treble for slap but dialled back for Motown.

Then the Nathan East mid scoop can be dialled in to suit your personal "taste".

I suspect you'll be all over it in no time - although you won't get bored with the sound any time soon, as you have so much variety available at your fingertips! 😊

Edited by Al Krow
  • Thanks 1