Why become a member? ×

Revitalising Paint colour

TheGreek

I've just bought a bass where the body colour has seen better days. I contacted the manufacturers for some advice on revitalising the colour and was directed to this:

Player's Kit Guitar Polish and Scratch Remover by Eternashine, with Cloth

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=Player's+Kit+Guitar+Polish+and+Scratch+Remover+by+Eternashine%2C+with+Cloth&ref=nb_sb_noss

Now is this just expensive T-Cut or am I missing something?

Any advice on alternatives?

They tend to all be the same product and work on the same principle by taking away the top layer of your gloss finish through the friction of the abrasive in the compound. Years ago I bought a Fender Guitar Instrument Care Kit which I still have. It included a Swirl and Haze remover ( light abrasive), Mist and Wipe ( just light polish) and Polish and Conditioner ( Polish with some added shine). They were all made by Meguiars who do a load of car care compounds too. Just like the early Fender finishes and colours being car paints, so are the rectifiers.

Unless the body colour has oxidised and faded, it is unlikely that anything will bring it back as all you are doing is polishing off the clear coat above the colour. It's not a good idea to cut through this whether it be a poly or nitro finish either unless you go relic....!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Now is this just expensive T-Cut or am I missing something?

The auto sector is huge compared to instrument refinishing. Most, if not all, the R&D will has been invested and targeted at the auto sector. Indeed, as @yorks5stringer points out, the early Fender coatings were car paints. Me thinks not much has changed. If it is base/clearcoat poly, then T-cut done lightly by hand will do the job - and cheaper.

T-Cut is quite abrasive as it is a cutting compound ( best for scratches in clear coat) and if your colour is faded, unless the clear coat is faded, you'll risk cutting through the clear coat to the base colour. There are other products which are less severe, the 2 here are different grades: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302045002161

That said, if you have some T Cut, try it gently somewhere  non obvious first. Be aware if colour starts to show on the cloth you are through the clear coat and down to the colour and excess use  may remove that colour rather than remove the fade. Also because TCut is a coarse  compound (rather like when sanding wood) it's good to follow up with a finer grain to remove the swirls made by it. Hence the 2  grades of compound in the ebay listing; start with 105 then go to 205. I use the Meguiars on my car for scratches on the passenger side( narrow lanes and tall hedges) but have also used it on the back of a couple of older basses to remove swirls and light scratches. I put it on in dots on a  lightly dampened foam mop attached to a 18v hand drill on slower speed. But it can be done by hand too!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

It's just a polish which will give ( your body) a shine but will not help with revitalising the colour. Mr Sheen will do the same thing but should not be used, as anything silicone based is a devil to remove if you decide on a respray. If you are not bothered then use a domestic polish/spray.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

It's just a polish which will give ( your body) a shine but will not help with revitalising the colour. Mr Sheen will do the same thing but should not be used, as anything silicone based is a devil to remove if you decide on a respray. If you are not bothered then use a domestic polish/spray.

Good advice avoid Mr sheen like the plauge