Why become a member? ×

Acrylic guitar hanger

Basinski

9 hours ago, ped said:

I haven’t but have been tempted by these a few times before I remember that drilling holes is not my forte 

http://www.woodieshanger.com

This does look great. I’ve never personally been a big fan of hanging guitars by the neck/headstock, especially mounted to a wall where the thing basically becomes a big pendulum! This system seems to solve that issue nicely.

• 4 weeks later...

I’m not sure I’d risk a plastic one. Have you asked them what kind of weight it will carry?

I just bought this. I think it’s fantastic, it’ll certainly take the weight of even the heaviest bass. I just need someone to fix it to the wall for me.

A142E78D-9CE5-4A3F-AB05-EAF9A2C3BAEE.jpeg

18 minutes ago, stewblack said:

One of the few things that I'm actually any good at is fixing things to walls. 

Unfortunately I am not allowed to drill the walls in my room. I like drilling holes in walls. 

It's the sort of thing they don't teach in school any more. I'm terrible at it - any time I approach my walls with a drill and rawl plug they end up looking like glory holes

The mistake most people make is not having the right size drill bit for the right size screw, in wood if you remember to use a , 2.5 mm drill bit for a no6 screw and a 3mm bit for a no8 screw, you won’t go wrong because it pilots a hole smaller than the screw, and it will grip,   and in masonry it’s a 6mm hole for a no6 rawlplug (usually red) and a 7mm hole for a no7 plug (usually brown) 🙂

• Like 1

Just now, ped said:

It's the sort of thing they don't teach in school any more. I'm terrible at it - any time I approach my walls with a drill and rawl plug they end up looking like glory holes

I did it for a living once (worked for an interior designer fitting show houses and private homes with curtain tracks and poles, mirrors, pictures, shelves and so forth) the thing which makes it tricky is that no two walls are the same. Lathe and plaster, horse hair, plaster board, brick, blocks of all different types, steel frames, wood frames, the list goes on. 

Having the right kit and know how for each is the trick. A set of full length, interlined velvet curtains can weigh far more than a bass guitar. If the customer has chosen an iron pole with only two fixings in the bracket and their wall was built 300 years ago, it's a nasty scenario for the dope with the drill. 

Oh and central heating pipes, electric cables, both hidden in the wall add spice to the job too! 

Don't trust that metal detector to tell you where the pipe is. Turn the heating up full and feel the wall for the heat, just to be safe. 

• Like 2

On 15/12/2020 at 20:23, Basinski said:

Late to the thread, but I finally had a look at this link.

Ye Gods and Little Fishes, a piece of right-angled plastic just 5mm thick, held to the wall with electrical screws salvaged from an old plug, and with edges sharp enough to cut instant grooves in your headstock ... possibly the worst designed guitar accessory I have ever seen.

• Like 1

On 15/12/2020 at 20:36, ped said:

I haven’t but have been tempted by these a few times before I remember that drilling holes is not my forte 

http://www.woodieshanger.com

So then I clicked on this link and - wonderfully, absolutely wonderfully - it appeared on screen with a warning in the address bar: Not Secure.

😂😂😂

• Haha 1

the dimensions seem to be a bit out too, if it's 90mm overall width and 72mm internal width that only leaves 9mm of material either side, and 72mm is quite wide for many guitars (a telecaster wouldn't work for instance)

I'm tempted to run a stress analysis of the hanger to see how truly shocking it is!

Matt

• Like 1

well it's not quite the car crash i was expecting but it's not great either, I had to guess some of the dimensions and the loading was assuming a 5kg instrument hanging straight down. i took 1mm as the internal bend radius as it wasn't that clear on the picture, and i used a couple of 8mm circular patches on the back to anchor it (the actual holes weren't modelled so these are a guesstimate using some assumptions that i use in my day job)

the expected high stress point is right along the bend as predicted, there is a nasty stress where the screws go through as well, I certainly wouldn't trust these hangers with any of my instruments. and that's before you get to the sharp edges digging into the headstock.

939923557_Screenshot2021-01-15140717.png.8b595f8d64cdfa3e43e610b9da86301b.png

as an interesting aside the "guitar" shown in the pictures is computer generated not real, so we don't even know if these have been made and tested, they might have designed them and will make them as they are ordered (not a hugely time consuming thing to make with a laser cutter and a bending rig.)

Matt

Edited by Matt P
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Amazing work Matt. Yes I noticed the ‘guitar’ - they probably couldn’t get a real one to stay long enough to get a picture. 

My father in law does these sorts of tests for gas injection moulding and always has something similar to this open on his laptop!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ped said:

Amazing work Matt. Yes I noticed the ‘guitar’ - they probably couldn’t get a real one to stay long enough to get a picture. 

My father in law does these sorts of tests for gas injection moulding and always has something similar to this open on his laptop!

it's very much a quick and dirty check ("back of a fag packet check") about 5 minutes work at the end of my day, sneakily using my work computer and software.

with repeated loading the fatigue of the material will be the killer, cracks will appear and then BANG! your precious instrument hits the floor!

For the OP I always recommend the Hercules wall hangers, i have 2 and even with my ham fisted fitting they have no trouble holding up even the heaviest of my basses (10.5lb '77 p-bass)

Matt

5 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Late to the thread, but I finally had a look at this link.

Ye Gods and Little Fishes, a piece of right-angled plastic just 5mm thick, held to the wall with electrical screws salvaged from an old plug, and with edges sharp enough to cut instant grooves in your headstock ... possibly the worst designed guitar accessory I have ever seen.

So, are you getting some then?

I couldn't quite tell if you liked it or not. 😄

• 4 weeks later...

I think that the very fact that no maximum loading is specified on the clear acrylic hanger is a giveaway. 

Stress analyses notwithstanding (excellent work  though!) if I were making such a thing  I'd destruction test a few every so often and determine a safe working load. 

I put up some old  hangers just last week. In a plasterboard wall (all of ours are!)

I used the biggest wall toggles that I could find (2 per hanger on this design) and drove them into the holes firmly with a hammer, put the heftiest screw that'd fit into them and tightened up gently to spread the toggles before removing the screws and fitting the hangers. 

Just to be sure, I hung my heaviest (and cheapest!) bass on each one overnight with a big beanbag underneath. Just in case! 🤣

It's ok. They're still there. And hardly conspicuous when in use.

20210202_120855.jpg

20210202_120845.jpg

Edited by Lfalex v1.1
  • Like 1