Why become a member? ×

How would I go about adjusting the dual truss rods in my Ibanez SR306EB 6 string bass?

Edit!!! : Just read up on some more reviews on the bass while I am waiting for it to arrive, and one of them mentioned that this bass do in fact have 2 truss rods in the neck, so how would I go about adjusting them correctly?

So I ordered an Ibanez SR306EB 6 string bass a couple of says ago, and I expect to receive it by the end of this week.

However I just realized that the neck might have 2 truss rods build into it (not positively sure if this is the case though), to ensure stability of the wider 6 string neck I assume, and I am already getting anxious about how to adjust them correctly.

Knowing factory setups I guess I can't even be sure that the 2 truss rods are actually adjusted equally from factory, so how would I make sure to adjust them right without risking ultimately causing the neck to develop a twist/warp?

Of course if someone can confirm that the neck of this bass in fact only got 1 single truss rod in it then I guess I have no need for knowing how to adjust a neck with 2 truss rods anyway.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
New information update and update of headline accordingly

Does it have the usual Ibanez truss-rod cover at the headstock end? Unscrew it and have a look to see if there are two rods in the neck.

(Edit- oh, you've not got it yet!)

(Speculation) Personally, I reckon it has one truss rod and two non adjustable stabilising bars.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Does it have the usual Ibanez truss-rod cover at the headstock end? Unscrew it and have a look to see if there are two rods in the neck. 

(Speculation) Personally, I reckon it has one truss rod and two non adjustable stabilising bars.

Well, I haven't got the bass yet, still on the way with the mail service, so can't really check, and I have not been able to verify or falsify weather or not it got 2 truss rods with a Google search

The truss rod cover is wider than usually, practically covering the whole width of the lower part of the headstock towards the nut, unlike the usual 4 and 5 string Ibanez Sound Gear truss rod covers (same headstock, just with 6 instead of 4 tuning keys), though that still might still just be an odd design choice to match the wider neck, even if the cover on the 5 string Sound Gear basses seems to have the same size covers as the 4 strings.

Hope you are right though, cause I am really not comfortable with the thought of having to adjust 2 truss rods right and risk the neck developing a twist/warp if I get it wrong.

An idea;

IF it has two rods (and looking at the 'rod cover, it IS rather large), then use a torque wrench to ascertain how tight the rods are to begin with, then use the torque wrench to tighten/loosen (both) the rods to the same tension, assuming you feel it to require any adjustment in the first place..

Disclaimer- no, I don't have a torque wrench at all, let alone own a small one...

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

I dont think so...

Nothing about a dual truss rod on the website for the 6 string model, the owners or maintenance download manuals...

If it had a dual truss rod i'm sure Ibanez would Blah Blah about it in the SR6 neck / Jatobah Finger board Spec and have a 'Numerical Letter Tech Term' for it like the bridge and make a sales pitch of it.

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

That video explains nothing though.

Already watched it once, when I tried to search for a solution.

But I did find a post on the Talk Bass forum that seems to be of some use. 

Seems though that without using feeler gauges there will be no fool proof way to ensure that I will get the adjustment just right to prevent the risk of the neck possible developing a twist/warp over time. :(

Seems this is as close as I can get to a proper instruction, but as said close to worthless without me having the right feeler gauges, plus the guy who wrote this reply doesn't even seem totally certain that this would be the perfectly correct way to do it :

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/dual-truss-rod-adjustment-tips.519035/#post-7016950