Why become a member? ×

What to do when you hate all the Xmas Singles?

Happy Jack

My project for Lockdown 2.0 was to learn video editing. It turned out that an ideal entry-level video package was actually a well-known DAW ... Reaper v.6. Inevitably, possession of a decent DAW then rapidly dragged me into learning home recording too.

I learn best when I'm working on something 'real', and the annual Xmas Bash for the Junkyard Dogs (featured several times over the years on Basschat) was clearly not going to happen this year, so I thought it would be good to put together a sound/video project as a sort-of Xmas prezzie for the band. I chose a song that Rick & Paul will always associate with me, and which I had already personalised for live performance with the band.

Mission Creep then took over completely. I had so much fun putting it together that I thought I should go wider with this. I wrote some new Xmas lyrics and revised the arrangement, turning it into my very own Xmas Song. I made my first foray into video editing on 6th November, and into sound recording on 5th December. Today is 12th December, so this is how far a complete novice has got on a tight time budget.They say that you only ever really learn from your mistakes. In that case, you simply wouldn't believe just how much I learned while putting this video together. Now I'm just spraying it out there for stinky poo and giggles.

6 minutes ago, Staggering on said:

What? No DB? (and I know you have at least two and the one in the video looks lovely but doesn't count because you're not playing it)🙂

I must have been well over halfway through the project when I realised that I used to play the original source for this song all the time on DB at acoustic gigs. 

I could have re-built, but I decided to save DB for my next Hollywood extravaganza ...

9 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

I must have been well over halfway through the project when I realised that I used to play the original source for this song all the time on DB at acoustic gigs. 

I could have re-built, but I decided to save DB for my next Hollywood extravaganza ...

Ooooh, can't wait, a musical extravaganza with both DB's? Maybe something for NYE? 😋