Why become a member? ×

The next JV Squier (in your opinion)

SamPlaysBass

33 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Check the prices for the Thunder 1A - five years ago you could find them for under £100 - they're now selling for upwards of £300 on eBay. The neck thru 11 and 111 series are now selling for £700+.

Similar story with BC Nanyos which are finally starting to realise prices acknowledging how well built they are. Rarely see them for under £100 anymore - I think I've bought at least 4 in that ballpark.

I think that both the above will be good investments for the future - if there is a future that is...

But I think these things go up and down. Someone must surely remember soon that Fender QC was dire in the late 70s and then 1978 Precisions (they're always 1978 aren't they?!) won't sell for over 2 grand any more, surely?!  It's a bit of a gamble as to what will keep its value and what won't I think. Unless its a special edition fender I wouldn't go speculating on basses. 

Ibanez ATK "back when they were made in Japan", and many other old Japanese Ibanez guitars and basses for that matter. If you start comparing prices of old Ibanez instruments with current new Made in Japan Prestige models, many old ones are an absolute steal but won't stay that way. You can buy a high level Japanese made instrument at less than many current Indonesian models. 

Bass Collection

Fleabass

I bought an Ibanez RS940 (fretless) on reputation. Great tones (as per the reputation) however it also lived up to the "heavy" part of it's rep. Has a celeb following so you know it's a good bass.

I don't play fretless - really shouldn't have bought it - another impulse buy!!

I think it is impossible to predict as it isn't really based on anything other than perceived value, and there is no way to predict what perceived value will be. So just rarity and whatever was flavour of the month, as people have said people spend a fortune on 70s fenders, when in the 80s the standard wisdom was you didn't touch one with a bargepole as they were terrible.

I have played a JV strat and it was ok, not really any better than any current strat, but that isn't really important.

In a world where people pay actual money for a Kay without the intention of burning it to keep warm, there is absolutely no logic to these prices so no way to predict.

17 hours ago, gjones said:

The MIJ Silver Squiers, from back in the early 90s, have increased significantly in price since I bought one about 10 years ago.

Very good basses but then all MIJ Fender/Squier basses are top notch, in my experience..

Yep! I've got an '84-'87 E-serial Strat and a '91 Silver Series Strat that I both got for a steal (175 euros for the E-series around 15 years ago). The E-series is my main guitar and I could never see myself sell it. I bought it with the intention of flipping it at a much higher price, but that idea faded as soon as I'd played it. The Silver Series isn't as nice but is also a fun guitar to have around and high quality. May come up for sale at one point though.

18 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I think it is impossible to predict as it isn't really based on anything other than perceived value, and there is no way to predict what perceived value will be. So just rarity and whatever was flavour of the month, as people have said people spend a fortune on 70s fenders, when in the 80s the standard wisdom was you didn't touch one with a bargepole as they were terrible.

I have played a JV strat and it was ok, not really any better than any current strat, but that isn't really important.

In a world where people pay actual money for a Kay without the intention of burning it to keep warm, there is absolutely no logic to these prices so no way to predict.

Great point Woodinblack. I didn’t intend for this thread to be about finding the next money spinner necessarily. More curious as to the trends we start to see on Basschat, for sale sites etc for usually unremarkable or just ‘good’ items for sale that seem to be picking up a premium, justly or unjustly. 

The Klon Centaur always springs to mind. That is the pinnacle of this thread! A good pedal that has reached the outer echelons of ridiculousness through internet hype alone. Crazy! 

On 18/12/2020 at 12:37, SamPlaysBass said:

Peavey in general are a great shout. The T-40 is doing the rounds at quite a premium at the minute, but not ridiculous prices. 

Apart from the T-40, occasionally making £600 from some crazy bloke, Peavey prices have remained the same for years i.e. Low 😦

Having went from owning 64 Peavey basses to 52, you can bet your backside I keep an eye on for sale ads and completed sale prices.

• Like 1

Some of the most underrated basses are some of the Mexican fender which when you think about are basses assembled by Mexicans in Mexico as opposed to American fenders which are assembled by Mexicans living in America 

obviously parts vary 

Im thinking classic series, road worns and some signature basses

ive had lots of the above and lots of American and Japanese fenders and I’m always surprised at the used price differences between the Mexican basses I’ve mentioned and their American and Japanese counterparts

• Like 1