Why become a member? ×

What about ye?

Deepfat

Hiya!

I've been playing for about 30 years now on and off in original and covers bands.

I like my basses and gear in general. I have an Ashdown ABM500RC (bought new about 20 years ago), through 2x10 and 4x10 plus a Fender Rumble 800 when I want something light.

Both sound really good but I have this itch for a valve amp. A good friend pointed me at this forum for some advice.

Most of the youTube videos of newish valve amps seem to focus on how gritty and distorted they can get. I'm looking for a fat, fibrous, warm, punchy and sweet tone - not to be another Lemmy. Nothing wrong with Lemmy mind, just not the sound I'm looking for.

I mainly play with my MM Stringray or my Fender USA Zone - never really got on with 5 strings. I'm also quite fond of my Kramer which is one hell of a bass for the £200 I paid for it.

I prefer roundwound strings but do have flats on my Chowny and basic Yamaha fretless. Mostly play with fingers - crap at slapping.

The best live bass sound I've heard in many years was the bassist for Maddie & Tae who was using a Mesa Boogie Strategy. That was sweet. 

Anyhow - would any of you nice people be able to offer some advice or am I on a quest for the holy grail? 

Cheers,

Deepfat!

• Like 1