Why become a member? ×

Hofner 500/3

Risk101

Hi guys,

I was over at my sisters today, and she asked me to look at a bass that's been under the bed since my brother in law inherited it from his late father and asked me if I could use it. It looks to be a Hofner 500/3. I'm a 5 string electric bassist my self, so I said it would be silly for me to take it and hang it on the wall, but I'd try and find out a bit more about it.

I've made some enquiries of Andy Baxter Bass concurrently via E Mail but wondered if anyone on here had experience of these instruments?

Its definitely old (not necessarily genuine of course!) as my brother in law remembers his dad using it to practice in his bedroom decades ago (his dad played in a trio on the double bass). It comes in a tatty fitted hard case. See photos.

Would welcome any information and advice about this instrument.

Cheers

David

IMG_5384.jpg

IMG_5385.jpg

Edited by Risk101
Make it compliant with forum rules
  • Like 2

That's an all-original 500/3 from 1960 ... the serial number and the 'Toaster' pickup work well to confirm that.

Hofner continued to bring the 500/3 into the UK until 1963 when a modified version (modified to suit the demands of the chief importer, Selmer & Co.) became the Senator Bass.

Only one photo here, and not too informative, but it looks to be in lovely condition and will definitely be of interest to Hofner afficianados and collectors.

There's no particularly famous musician connection for the 500/3 so it won't attract a premium price, and of course in this country the Senator is far better known. If this was any other December, I'd recommend listing it on eBay with an advert aimed more at Continental musicians, who have no real interest in the Selmer-badged instruments.

5-string player or not, you'll know a bowed neck when you play one! Before trying to sell it, be sure to check the state of both the neck and especially the neck joint. If the neck is true and the neck joint undamaged or (worse) has been 'fixed', then there may be an issue with listing it immediately.

If you find problems, feel free to come back to me (or others, I'm not the only Hofner Hound on Basschat) and I'll see what I can do.

• Like 3

Adding a few photos for the Hofner aficionados out there! In the last one showing the mother of pearl detail to the neck heel, you can just see a little hole at about 11 O'Clock on the vertical which I assume is an old strap pin fix point.

Hofner Body.jpg

Body rear.jpg

Neck Profile.jpg

Hofner Headstock 2.jpg

Hof MOP Details.jpg

• Like 1

DO NOT ADJUST THAT ACTION!

The bass needs a neck reset, a routine & standard operation for a Hofner of that vintage, but one that can flummox guitar techs who are not used to working on vintage instruments built using traditional craftsmanship ... i.e. this bass bears very little resemblance structurally to a Fender, Gibson or Rickenbacker, it's more like working on a classical guitar.

My (entirely unsolicited) advice would be, iIf you have a guitar tech you can trust then fine. If not, then either get a recommendation from someone or sell the bass to someone who understands these things.

Totally what @Happy Jacksaid.

Look at the heel, you can see a thin strip below the mother of pearl which should be inside the body, the 'fresh' wood tapers down the side of the neck towards the fretboard indicating the neck has let go and pivoted forwards under string tension.

I'd slacken off the strings a bit until its fixed. Not enough to lose the bridge but to take the stress off the neck joint. I'd hate to see it let go properly and damage the top as it's a beautiful guitar. 

Best of luck with whatever route you take. 🙂👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maude said:

Look at the heel, you can see a thin strip below the mother of pearl which should be inside the body, the 'fresh' wood tapers down the side of the neck towards the fretboard indicating the neck has let go and pivoted forwards under string tension.

Well spotted!

2022640577_Hofneck.thumb.jpg.72179ec07f25b23d06369bb2d07b5be6.jpg

Very nice. I had one of these many years ago but it was a little more battered! 

I’m not sure where you’re based but this guy did some work for Hofner when they took to remaking ‘as per’ the originals a few years ago (he’s even credited in the History of Hofner book).

http://www.stuartsguitarworks.com/aboutstuart.htm

There’s still a big demand for these from German collectors, I sold my ‘59 Club 60 to a guy over there last year.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Deedee said:

Very nice. I had one of these many years ago but it was a little more battered! 

I’m not sure where you’re based but this guy did some work for Hofner when they took to remaking ‘as per’ the originals a few years ago (he’s even credited in the History of Hofner book).

http://www.stuartsguitarworks.com/aboutstuart.htm

There’s still a big demand for these from German collectors, I sold my ‘59 Club 60 to a guy over there last year.

Thanks Deedee that's really helpful - I'm based in Essex Covid level 3 !!

10 minutes ago, Risk101 said:

Thanks Deedee that's really helpful - I'm based in Essex Covid level 3 !!

Ah, might be a bit of an issue then. I’m sure a local old school luthier would be able to sort it. Hofners of this era are notorious for the necks and bodies parting company at some stage during their lives. All down to the animal based glue they used apparently.

13 minutes ago, Deedee said:

Ah, might be a bit of an issue then. I’m sure a local old school luthier would be able to sort it. Hofners of this era are notorious for the necks and bodies parting company at some stage during their lives. All down to the animal based glue they used apparently.

Yup. Animal glue has been used from the start of European instrument manufacture, and it's an excellent glue.

But it's organic, and all organic things change over time. With animal glue, somewhere between 40-60 years after application it will gradually dry out and turn to dust. If the instrument has strings on and so is under tension, as the glue's strength fades away the neck will very slowly try to fold up like a pen-knife.

Nothing is 'wrong', nothing is broken. All that's required is another application of animal glue by a guitar tech who knows what he's doing.

In watching various YouTube channels featuring luthiers (I particularly recommend https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8wIqZCt9h6uJbOBCQVuUmg though https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdD1Cqxr8aINzWs1agg3tEQ is always entertaining) I've noticed that animal glue is getting less and less used, and that fish glue seems to be preferred. Still organic, still in keeping with the original construction, just a slightly different take.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The lutherie and concept of these instruments is much aligned with the world of violins, double basses, cellos and the like. The folks that work in those fields know and understand how and why they work, and respect these methods. There are fine luthiers that can return this bass to its original, more-than-excellent state, whereby she would be, not simply playable, but very fine, class instrument, both acoustically (although not in the sense of playing in an acoustic band, just splendid tone...) and amplified, within the remit of 'old school' repertoire. The work needed is not difficult, for a suitably experienced luthier (indeed, it's almost their daily lot...), and will render the bass fit for purpose for at least the next half-century. Given her present state, it behoves the owner to ensure that she can give of her best for future generations. No short cuts, no half-measures, no bodging. It wouldn't necessarily be expensive, either, in the right hands. Done 'wrongly' the guitar would be destroyed. Think of the children..!

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Bit late coming to this but only just found it. This was my first guitar back in 1961 but I had the brunette not the blonde. The action up the neck was very high but back then I didn't go much beyond the 9th fret anyway so not really a problem. Wanted to get the solid Artist bass but couldn't afford it at the time. This one was £27 and the Artist was £45. I was earning £5 a week back then and my mother took half of it for board and lodging!

Initially I played it through a 10 (?) Watt Watkins Westminster which used to walk around the stage with the vibration and on a couple of occasions the valves came loose! I later upgraded to a VOX AC30 Supertwin which stayed in place on the stage. In '63 I traded in the 500/3 and got a red, vinyl covered Artist bass. I still have fond memories of that original 500/3 with the toaster-top pickup..

• 1 year later...