Why become a member? ×

Standard Notation/Bass Clef

thebigyin

Hello,

Started getting into a bit of Music Theory ect about a year or so ago and i'm struggling with notation on working out say Walking Basslines/Jazz Standards ect could anyone recommend a good book with all the bass note register on especially on the higher register ledger lines as i just get lost....ok with tabs but wanting to get into Jazz Standards and most are in notation....not wanting to sight read but be able to do cheat sheets so i can learn some standards, thanks in advance Bob.

• Like 1

Can you clarify if you are wanting to read bass clef or just learn playing walking basslines? If you want to read bass clef, there is a bass clef fake/real book for about £25 that has the melodies for hundreds of standards written in bass clef.

It sounds to me like you just want to play walking basslines, which you won't find written in a real book, you'll just get the chords. If you want to learn to play walking lines then there are hundreds of books on the subject that use tab and notation. Building Walking Basslines by Ed Friedland is a good starter book, and will give you the understanding of theory and fretboard knowledge to play over jazz changes.

• Like 1

Actually, it is very helpful to learn two beat first.

When it is functional, it is time to take a step forward and learn four beat. Check youtube, as there has to be lots of examples.

If the chord theory is clear, playing will be very easy. In short two beat is playing half notes (just play 1 and 5 in one bar), and four beat is like playing quarters 1 1 5 3 in one bar.

After these two, walking bass is much easier. Just play the seventh chord notes - one exception is that usually maj7 is played as 6. Try to play the notes ascending and descending, because when you go up, you have to come down sooner or later.

Mike Richmond's book "Modern Walking Bass Technique" has many of the "tricks" used while playing walking bass lines. Recommended reading.

• 3 weeks later...