Why become a member? ×

Acoustic Basses

MS93

19 hours ago, Cato said:

In my experience with skinny string guitars semi acoustic electrics with f holes they generally aren't noticeably any louder than solid body guitars when played 'unplugged'.

I'd guess it's similar with basses, so if the idea is to have semi-acoustic bass around for unplugged practice it probably won't be any better than whatever you have at the moment.

The skinny stringers don't sound particularly 'acoustic' when plugged in either, I'd guess that's why 'proper' electro acoustics tend to use piezos and/or internal mics rather than standard magnetic pickups.

This was experience with the Warwick StarBass I owned, hence the reason why I asked what you wanted the bass for. Th increase in volume when played unplugged was minimal compared to my solid basses, and TBH without amplification I preferred the unplugged quiet sound of my Gus basses - the Warwick sounded quite "thin" by comparison. Plugged in of course it was great.