Why become a member? ×

JJ CALE FANS ONLY

grandad

2 hours ago, grandad said:

Just found this - good concert, good sound quality.

Love that, thanks for sharing! There are some really nice jams in there as well - the intro is something I really like.

To my ears they’re such good players, with a real ear for the songs/singer - and that Jazz Bass sounds tubby as anything!

One of the discoveries for me during lockdown was JJ Cale, after a mate recommended his music to me. I knew a few of his tracks (Cocaine, After Midnight) covered by others but as I didn’t like the artist in question the songs just passed me by. Then I listened to the JJ Cale versions and it all became clear what I was missing out on!! 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

Love that, thanks for sharing! There are some really nice jams in there as well - the intro is something I really like.

To my ears they’re such good players, with a real ear for the songs/singer - and that Jazz Bass sounds tubby as anything!

One of the discoveries for me during lockdown was JJ Cale, after a mate recommended his music to me. I knew a few of his tracks (Cocaine, After Midnight) covered by others but as I didn’t like the artist in question the songs just passed me by. Then I listened to the JJ Cale versions and it all became clear what I was missing out on!! 

The musicianship is superb throughout.

• 2 months later...

While we're on - and I know it's not JJ's fault - can I just register my disgust at the appalling approach to the bass part on the Tribute CD?

What an insult to a song which is all about groove.

Thank you for letting me get it off my chest amongst like-minded people.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, grandad said:

Comes across to me as a poor recording.

Thought this was a good live performance.

My favourite JJ Cale vid on YouTube, love this and that stacked knob Jazz is just too cool for school.

Edited by slojo
  • Like 1

Aha...why didnt i just google it !

I remember, what started John tinkering and mixing pickups was when he purchased a mid-80s Carvin AE-185 that he played on the Live video at Carnegie Hall. It’s a semi-hollowbody with two humbuckers and a piezo in an acoustic-style bridge. He thought that was the coolest thing - whether it was one stereo cord out, or maybe he’d just have another output and another cord and plug into the amp, and then switch back and forth, or blend the two pickups. And then he started doing that kind of modification to all his guitars.”

Good read, this

https://www.musicradar.com/news/on-jj-cale-he-would-buy-a-dollar100-guitar-then-if-he-messed-it-up-by-drilling-holes-it-was-okay-that-was-the-cost-of-educating-himself

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
J.J. Cale: “The first album was a collection of tunes I’d been working on for about 32 years,” “It was a collection that refined everything that had come out of me and weeded out all the bad ideas I’d had over 20 years. But, when it was successful, the record company wanted the next album in six months. When you get successful, the money comes in and pretty soon you’ve got to hire an accountant, you’ve got to get up early, and then you’ve got a day job.
The management was – was, you know, hey, John, why don’t you make another – another record? And I go, oh, ain’t nobody wants to hear -- You know, I’ve already did – I have a hard time with not trying to imitate myself. After you – after you’ve made so many records or you wrote so many songs, pretty soon, you know, you – you think – your songs all start sounding – you start sounding like a song you’d already written ten years ago or fifteen years ago. That’s kind of what’s rough about making a new album at my age and as long as I’ve been in the business or the music kind of a thing, is – is to keep from imitating myself, so I have to listen to it and go, you know, that sounds like a song that was on my third album, you know? And that’s kind of rough. I – I guess I semi pulled that off. You can probably bust me on a couple of songs but there was no particular inspiration. I’m always writing songs just to entertain myself.
Photo by Michael Putland
May be an image of 1 person, beard and guitar
Edited by grandad

On 01/03/2021 at 11:15, wateroftyne said:

While we're on - and I know it's not JJ's fault - can I just register my disgust at the appalling approach to the bass part on the Tribute CD?

What an insult to a song which is all about groove.

Thank you for letting me get it off my chest amongst like-minded people.

Who'd they wheel in to do that, Pino Palllidino, Nathan East? It sounds like a sequencer.

16 minutes ago, gjones said:

Who'd they wheel in to do that, Pino Palllidino, Nathan East? It sounds like a sequencer.

Nathan East, who I assume recorded it whilst having a shower without actually knowing which song it was.

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I saw JJ Cale when he came over to the UK in (I think) 1995. (actually, checking the dates it was  October 1994)

He was very modest and unassuming, but the music spoke for itself. A venue full of eager JJ Cale fans waiting for him, and a slight figure who looked like part of the road crew ambled on, picked up a guitar and started tuning it. No one took much notice. It was only when the noodling started to resemble After Midnight that we realised this was JJ, he'd just wandering on stage completely unannounced.

Edited by FinnDave
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

ĴĴ ČÃĹẸ ǪǗỖŤẸŜ #26

“You might be right there. I hear my influence in other artists,” he agrees. “That’s standard. When you do something and you have a quirkly little style and people like it, then other musicians pick up on it. Guitar players are the greatest at stealing from each other. I steal from everybody else and they steal from me. That’s how we all advance the art of music.” (Brian Wise, Rhythms Magazine, August 1996)

Edited by grandad

2 hours ago, grandad said:

“You might be right there. I hear my influence in other artists,” he agrees. “That’s standard. When you do something and you have a quirkly little style and people like it, then other musicians pick up on it. Guitar players are the greatest at stealing from each other. I steal from everybody else and they steal from me. That’s how we all advance the art of music.” (Brian Wise, Rhythms Magazine, August 1996)

Same for bass players.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Remembering J. J. Cale (December 5, 1938 – July 26, 2013)

“I’m a background person,” Cale told the Chicago Sun Times in 1990. “I’m not a household name. People have heard my music, but all my famous songs were made famous by somebody else. . . . But that was my goal.”

In spite of the low profile, Cale continued to exert an influence on subsequent generations of musicians. “The effortlessness, that restraint and underplaying, under-singing – it was just very powerful,” Beck told the Los Angeles Times in 2009. “The power of doing less and holding back in a song, I’ve taken a lot of influence from that.”

Photo by Michael Putland

image.thumb.png.40b1ac978dc951deef9a5a4c01b8853b.png

• Like 1