Why become a member? ×

Bands whose ensemble playing impress you most

Barking Spiders

18 hours ago, Paul S said:

Doobie Brothers!  2017 they played at the O2 'supporting' Steely Dan - in as much as they went on first.  Anyone else catch them?  Probably the best gig I have ever seen, from the first bar of the DB to the last bar of SD.

Yep! I was there..... along with on their last couple of headline tours.... and as far back as the mid 90's on a double headline with Foreigner at Wembley Arena. Always an amazing show - consummate singers, musicians and performers!

• Like 3

On 14/12/2020 at 10:51, lowdown said:

TOP, back in their hey day had arranging chops, playing chops and vocal chops of the very highest standard.

And they still do. Have seen them twice in the last couple of years as well as a recent streamed gig and they are still "tight as a gnat's chuff".

As you may gather I'm a big fan. 🙂

Earth Wind and Fire in the day were pretty awesome too. One of the best stage shows at the time as well as some awesome tight playing.

• Like 2

On 13/12/2020 at 23:34, LeftyP said:

For me it has to be Fotheringay.  I saw them at Newcastle City Hall in the very early 70s and was totally blown away by their tight, but natural playing.  Sandy Denny on lead vocal was in front of a superb group of musicians.  Trevor Lucas on Guitar, along with Jerry Donahue with some great bass work from Pat Donaldson and spirited drumming by Gerry Conway.  The night lives long in my memory.

You saw Fotheringay in the very early 70s?????????

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

(Fotheringay are one of my favourite bands, as of about 2 years ago when I first heard them, and I adore Sandy Denny). 

Love the Meters.

Prime time 70's Parliament-Funkadelic would also fit that description for me. Whilst the line-up was constantly evolving when you had the likes of virtuoso musicians such as George Clinton, Bernie Worrell, Eddie Hazel, Michael Hampton, Bootsy and other JB's Maceo Parker and Fred Wesley playing together, they were collectively both one of the tightest and yet somehow also one of the loosest funk bands around.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bo0tsy said:

Love the Meters.

Prime time 70's Parliament-Funkadelic would also fit that description for me. Whilst the line-up was constantly evolving when you had the likes of virtuoso musicians such as George Clinton, Bernie Worrell, Eddie Hazel, Michael Hampton, Bootsy and other JB's Maceo Parker and Fred Wesley playing together, they were collectively both one of the tightest and yet somehow also one of the loosest funk bands around.

The mention of Maceo and Fred Wesley instantly makes me think of James Brown and the JB's. Now they were tight,  or you got fined 🙂 .