Why become a member? ×

G&L Fullerton JB opinions?

bigthumb

Just wondering if anybody here has one of these USA G&L Jazz basses and what their opinions of them are? Obviously how they compare to US Fender Jazzes (which I have owned in the past). I've owned Tribute Jazz types which have been great considering the price. But I have my eye on a US one so I'd love to hear some thoughts on these. Cheers. 

Had one very briefly but sent it back as it was advertised as new but with shop damage.  Fit and finish was very good, comfortable neck (although I 'd be tempted to sand it a bit) and sounded...like a jazz bass should.  I preferred it to the Fender Pro I tried out but that was from a couple of years ago so not a scientific comparison.  I see they are available online for £999; I'd say give one a go!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

I tried a sunburst one a while ago.

Was neither bowled over nor disgusted by it...think it was about £1400 so it was a bit expensive for “meh”.

I certainly wouldn't pay £1400 for one! But at £999 it's not much more (if at all) than a second hand US Fender. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/12/2020 at 11:35, bigthumb said:

Just wondering if anybody here has one of these USA G&L Jazz basses and what their opinions of them are? Obviously how they compare to US Fender Jazzes (which I have owned in the past). I've owned Tribute Jazz types which have been great considering the price. But I have my eye on a US one so I'd love to hear some thoughts on these. Cheers. 

Bit late to the party but I got a custom Built G&L USA JB in sonic blue a couple of years ago. Price for a custom build was amazing considering the quality of the build and the playability. I love my Fender Jazz Bass but you'd pay a hell of a lot more for a USA Fender and I think the G&L is actually much better and I always get comments from people.on it both the look and sound! I hear they will be offering MFD pick ups for JBs next year too. Anyway, not too many of the USA models in the UK so probably get a lot of Fender enthusiasts slating them without trying them but I'd say  they are well worth the money and well underrated. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Clint said:

Bit late to the party but I got a custom Built G&L USA JB in sonic blue a couple of years ago. Price for a custom build was amazing considering the quality of the build and the playability. I love my Fender Jazz Bass but you'd pay a hell of a lot more for a USA Fender and I think the G&L is actually much better and I always get comments from people.on it both the look and sound! I hear they will be offering MFD pick ups for JBs next year too. Anyway, not too many of the USA models in the UK so probably get a lot of Fender enthusiasts slating them without trying them but I'd say  they are well worth the money and well underrated. 

In the end I did pull the trigger on one. I had it delivered last week but I've not had a great deal of time to get to know it yet. I spent about an hour with it yesterday including a slight adjustment to the factory setup, just a little high for my liking. It's obviously a beautifully put together and finished bass, exactly what you'd expect from a G&L. It's a bit heavier than my Precisions but to me, thats no big deal. But for a £1k+ bass I think it should have come with a hard case and not a pretty cheap gig bag but hey ho. 

It would be nice to get the opportunity to play it at volume and not just quiet home noodling but that's not going to be happening anytime soon unfortunately. Even so, its a cracking bass. 

gl-fullerton-standard-jb-emerald-blue-maple.jpg

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, bigthumb said:

In the end I did pull the trigger on one. I had it delivered last week but I've not had a great deal of time to get to know it yet. I spent about an hour with it yesterday including a slight adjustment to the factory setup, just a little high for my liking. It's obviously a beautifully put together and finished bass, exactly what you'd expect from a G&L. It's a bit heavier than my Precisions but to me, thats no big deal. But for a £1k+ bass I think it should have come with a hard case and not a pretty cheap gig bag but hey ho. 

It would be nice to get the opportunity to play it at volume and not just quiet home noodling but that's not going to be happening anytime soon unfortunately. Even so, its a cracking bass. 

Beautiful looking bass! Im surprised it didn"t come with a case too. I know guitar guitar had a couple of custom shop models for £1300_ish ( green sparkle & shell pink) that came with a case but I guess some dont.  Here's a couple of photos of mine. 20201225_081557.thumb.png.c1a278d5fafb5970a6453630e554416e.png

20171025_094745.png

• Like 3

The "option order" basses (made in Fullerton) come in a hard case.

The "Fullerton Deluxe" basses come purely as standard spec, in a very restricted range of colours, in a gig bag. They cost a bit less, but by the time the prices have been hit with the shipping, duty and VAT sticks, they're not really looking like much of a bargain.

The "custom shop" basses cost a lot more than the option order basses. Some options are only available that way.

1 hour ago, bigthumb said:

Is that the emerald blue colour, like a teal turquoise? Belting in the flesh.

31 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Is that the emerald blue colour, like a teal turquoise? Belting in the flesh.

It is and it's quite lovely. Although given the choice on colours, I would have chosen the light blue one pictured above with the rosewood board. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/12/2020 at 20:33, Clint said:

Any links to the info about MFD's being fitted to JB's for nex year ?

7 hours ago, buff said:

Any links to the info about MFD's being fitted to JB's for nex year ?

I saw it on the following Talk Bass page https://www.talkbass.com/threads/for-the-g-l-fans.1494806/  (attached photo from there but its not mine)

I contacted Andertons to try and order some but they said they aren't available at the Moment so I expect they'll do a big launch later in the year. 

JBmfd.jpg

• Like 1