Why become a member? ×

Kramer The Duke, project - now SOLD.
£175
Poole

alyctes

Kramer The Duke; very 1980s, a headless four-string aluminium-necked cricket bat.  Selling as a project.

Selling mostly because it's not being used and I have too many basses.  I had it from a member here many years ago (about 2010 I think?) and haven't used it much.  It's wearing only two strings as I had ambitions to use it for a Sandman/Morphine-style band, if I could play slide, if I knew anyone else who'd ever heard of them...

The tone is quite unusual, almost like a guitar stepped down an octave.

The strap buttons should be singled out for special mention - they are good for pretty much anything short of trying to knock a wall down with it.  Which the head plate would probably be good for... be careful with your bandmates, it has corners.

The serial number is A8147, so presumably a fairly early one.

There is no trussrod; the aluminium neck doesn't need it.  As far as I can tell, it's never had a thigh-pad.

It's been played a lot; there are many small scratches on the front, and the frets have been levelled - there is life in them yet.

There are a few dings in other places, the worst of which are around the upper "horn".  There are a couple of marks on the back of the neck, but nothing bad.  One of the tuners (the E) is very free-turning at the moment (i.e. without a string); I can't remember if it's like this when strung, but I don't think so.

The bridge should be changed to something which matches the pup pole spacing better.  The BBOT was on it when I got it; I am pretty sure it is a replacement, as it doesn't match Kramer's own marketing pics (and the bass has what seems to be an early serial number, so it is unlikely to be a result of cost-cutting).  The BBOT is not ideal for roundwounds as the windings on the E string can catch on the edge of the BBOT (the E string goes through a fairly large angle).  I've never tried it with flats.

Shipping at buyer's cost (should be relatively inexpensive, since it's short and narrow).  There's no case, but it will be well packaged.

£175 seems reasonable.

IMG_0965.JPG

IMG_0964.JPG

IMG_0969.JPG

IMG_0962.JPG

IMG_0968.JPG

IMG_0960.JPG

IMG_0967.JPG

IMG_0959.JPG

IMG_0966.JPG

IMG_0958.JPG

Edited by alyctes