Why become a member? ×

Sold - 1969 Fender Jazz -now £2650 FS/ trade plus cash ..O.N.O
£2850
Manchester

binkybongo

DOB 7 March 1969

A gorgeous 52 year old unique Jazz at a sensible price.

Sounds just as you would imagine - an authoritative true vintage tone with a wide sound palette.

Possible trades plus cash for 4 string- MM, Fender, Overwater

This is a true beauty I’ve decided should be with someone else who will treasure it and play it more than myself.
I had one of these the first time around - then Ricks, Celinder and CS basses but always hankered back to a real 60s Jazz - then this very special laid-back looking instrument came up weighing in at a very comfortable 9lb.

Originally sunburst - pictured below is the original owner (I'm the second) who bought the bass new. It has all original pick ups and electronics.

Alder body, handsome ebony fingerboard and as you can see is set off by the lovely mother of pearl dots and beautiful maple binding all by master luthier Jimmy Moon.

The neck is in lovely condition, easy action 'A' profile slim neck has a subtle flaming and like the rest of the bass has acquired the sweetest sound, character and the authentic patina and feel only 52 years can give. It's slimmer than '64 CSs I've owned - actually very similar to that of the Celinder P I bought from Three of this parish some years ago.

Based near Manchester, could meet within reason, comes with substantial Fender case.

PS - I am a professional photographer - the buyer will receive a Marcus Miller poster with my compliments. https://www.william-ellis.com/

_D7A0033-1.jpg

_D7A0042-2.jpg

_D7A0043-3.jpg

_D7A0044-4.jpg

_D7A0048-5.jpg

_D7A0054-7.jpg

_D7A0057-9.jpg

_D7A0058-10.jpg

_D7A0059-11.jpg

_D7A0060-12.jpg

_D7A0061-13.jpg

_D7A0063-8.jpg

_D7A0064-14.jpg

_D7A0065-15.jpg

_D7A0066-16.jpg

_D7A0069-6.jpg

_D7A0071-17.jpg

_D7A0086-20.jpg

_D7A0089-21.jpg

20190615_115903.jpg

FenderJBCustomer.jpg

MARCUS MILLER©WILLIAM ELLIS.jpg

IMG_20201213_160123.jpg

IMG_20201213_160237.jpg

IMG_20201218_095208.jpg

IMG_20201218_095230.jpg

Edited by binkybongo
More pictures, short video trades.price, souled
  • Like 7

I have enjoyed the inestimable pleasure of having handled and played this bass.  It possesses that almost magical feel of a really good (really, really good), vintage Fender, one played, loved and admired over more than five decades.  Whilst I don't deny that there are some fantastic relicers around, there is something about the real thing that simply defies replication.  When I took this bass from its case, its history and class was evident immediately.  It is everything that the seller says.  Authentic, authoritative, sweet, mature and perfectly mellowed by years of play.  Clearly an instrument that has been, and will continue to be treasured.  It's a fairly light bass too, and of course, perfectly balanced.  Playability is superb - low action but enough relief to ensure that every note sings.

The work by Jimmy Moon is exemplary, and in my view, something that adds a unique and classy twist to a very desirable bass.  The dark ebony board and dots are beautiful and the binding is brilliantly well-executed.  It's worth having look at Jimmy's current production (and his prices) - a true star in the luthiery firmament. 

I'm a big fan of Fender's '66-'69 period and some of my favourite Fenders derive from this time - and this J is certainly one of my favourites (I genuinely prefer many instruments from this period to their pre-CBS counterparts).  I wanted this bass last time it became available.  Alas, extremely poor timing for me this time around and I'll miss out... though if I did ever have the chance, I'd be getting some lollipops for that dots, bound '66 look - 'weak at the knees!  GLWTS, though I doubt that luck is a factor here.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, paul_5 said:

Sweet baby Jesus and the orphans! That’s beautiful!!!

3 hours ago, jazzmanb said:

Looks gorgeous ,i'm a bit lost on

1 hour ago, paul_5 said:

Sweet baby Jesus and the orphans! That’s beautiful!!!

Cheers.

Same neck, ebony fingerboard, mother of pearl dots and maple binding 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 14/02/2021 at 11:53, greavesbass said:

What was wrong with the rose wood board?

Hi,

don't know if there was anything wrong with it.

I guess the guy who bought it new decided to make it a unique instrument. So he commissioned a top luthier - Jimmy Moon to expedite.

Ebony board with mother of pearl dots, beautifully understated with the maple binding and the sound of this 60's bass is truly awesome.

• MB1 locked this topic