Why become a member? ×

proamplifiers

john_the_bass

I remember a company called ProAmp from the early eighties (probably around '84). Two models that I know of, the demon and the viper - one was a biggish valve combo (100W?) and the other a tranny with a lower output. Can't remember which was which though.

They stuck in my mind because they had a very good review at the time - if it was in international Musician I'll probably still have it somewhere. If these are the amps you're trying to get info for I'll dig out the mags.

I couldn't find the original review I read (maybe it was in one of the weekly inkies that used to gear reviews at the time), but I did dig up a couple of reviews on the Demon (15w practice amp) and the VSQ 65.

The review (in Guitarist June 1990) was of a prototype and had a RRP of £749. Designed by John Cooper, who also seems to have designed for Selmer. I googled his name and it seems he left a comment a year ago giving his email as [email protected] - maybe you could drop him a line for more info.

They liked the amp, by the way - "an excellent, Britsh built, versatile valve combo".

Meanwhile I'm back off to read a bunch of old Matsumoko reviews! :)

Wellllll...

I use a Proamplifiers "Demon" combo for home practise.

I think it's has about 80w under the hood.

It's got a sealed enclosure, and a 1x12" driver

I assume it's solid-state throughout.

I gather it's mid-80's in origin. Still going (very) strong and sounds excellent (primarily due to it's simplicity, I suspect)

It can't cut it against a full band, which is a pity. Lots of people have remarked very positively on it over the years. I've owned it for about 12 years, now.

Sorry I can't tell you more about 'em.