Why become a member? ×

UPDATES: Custom scratchplate for 35" P Bass

glassmoon

Hi all

Anyone know of anyone in the UK who makes scratchplates?  I have just bought a Lakland P - and I want to replace the white plate with a tortoise one but because it's a 35" scale, the stuff off Amazon won't fit.
The pickup is further from the edge ... 

Anyone here know where I can get this done and not be held to a King's ransom?

Many thanks in advance
Julian

Edited by glassmoon

Black. 

Another vote for Brian.  TBF to Tim, the Scratchit plates are something different.  AFAIAA they are all 1 ply clear with printing behind, even if the printing is coloured.  As opposed to the usual plastic 3 ply or whatever.

So, further on the line... 

I took the plate off to see what was underneath and BOOM!... I have found what I think I really like.

Just a metal plate a la Musicman Stingray for the 3 knobs (the jack is side mounted).
I've included two pics - 1 is the kind of plate I am looking at (Which is nearly 80 quid, so that ain't happening) and the other is my plate with a rough masking tape "design" to outline what I could use... 

It doesn't have to be metal, but metal would give it almost a Jacoesque J-bass vibe I'd think... and I think personally it would look pretty cool.
Also included a pic of the bass sans cover for your input, ideas, thoughts and "hey, what the hell are you doing to that bass fool???" comments hahahaha

Again, as always - my thanks in advance
Julian

3holeplate.jpg

IMG_3343.jpg

LaklandStripped.jpeg

46 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

How long is the control plate ?

Our man Brian does a silver mirror plate 👍

I'm guessing roughly 15cm by 10cm (if just a raw block). 

Looking forward to hearing from Brian. Seems like a capital chap. 

Calling Brian! Calling Brian! 😂

A mirror pice might be a nice idea. It's frustrating that the MM control plates I've thus far found, are 4 hole. Sigh

On 13/12/2020 at 11:45, glassmoon said:

Anyone at all? 

Also, how would one cut out a "blank"? A craft knife? 

I had a PG made for my old Lakland  DJ5 when i turned it in to a PJ. I got the blank plate made by Simms, i sent them the original for them to scan, but it was the Bass Gallery that did the pup cutout as they were doing the mod.

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

I had a PG made for my old Lakland  DJ5 when i turned it in to a PJ. I got the blank plate made by Simms, i sent them the original for them to scan, but it was the Bass Gallery that did the pup cutout as they were doing the mod.

Ah. That's a good idea to ask them. I have several options now. You guys are a good lot. Now... Decisions... Black or tortoise. I'm undecided 

45 minutes ago, glassmoon said:

Woah!!!!!!!!!  Damn is that is not just super cool - that tortoise is the finish.  That's the one!!!
You've got me thinking perhaps DIY is the way to go. Especially as I don't have access to a router hahahaha

Ha, when I asked others Tort was the most hated. Just to be completist, here's the other one I did which was cheaper as a sheet of 2mm perspex is  a lot less.

P1050328.thumb.jpg.a91893d153e53b157f3019fdb5e21184.jpg

Here's a DIY link for tort:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Vanson-315mm-x-240mm-Scratchplate-Pickguard-Material-for-Electric-Guitars/111817601979?hash=item1a08d933bb:g:CS0AAOSwCaBbn8Ha

Edited by yorks5stringer