Why become a member? ×

Stepping up from a Stagg EUB - recommendations please!

Al Krow

1 hour ago, TheRev said:

There's a Bespoke Superlight EUB on Ebay for £1000:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bespoke-Basses-electric-upright-double-bass/293894729565?hash=item446d7daf5d:g:VxsAAOSw2gBf1elW

They're not made anymore but they had a good reputation as well made and good sounding EUBs.

That does take me back to my Mecano days! 😁

Edited by Al Krow

I bought a second hand Emenince EUB about a year ago and then a KK - love them both for different reasons......The Emenince for the playability, overall sound (its ALL wood - bracing/bar with the flame maple veneer on the  back n sides) and the KK for sound and its looks - if your looking to play for the next 5-10 years plus, then forget the price and invest now - good luck

Edited by Petey
update
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

The pics might be deceiving me, but does the scale length of the basses vary?

E.g. my Stagg EUB has a 41.5" scale length. How does that compare to the EUBs that you guys have?

My Warwick is 104 cm, i.e. approx. 40.9". Also an Eb neck and I'd expect most to be D.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TheRev said:

The scale length for a 3/4 size double bass is around 41", but its not a universal standard and will vary from maker to maker.

My Eminence is 41"

Agreed - all of the models so far have been 41" give or take a bit! The scores on the door so far...

Stagg EUB 41.5"

Warwick approx. 40.9"

MK Studio passive is 41"

Yamaha SLB 200 is 40 3/4 "

Eminence is 41"

Average = 41" on the nose!

On 06/01/2021 at 10:12, Al Krow said:

The pics might be deceiving me, but does the scale length of the basses vary?

E.g. my Stagg EUB has a 41.5" scale length. How does that compare to the EUBs that you guys have?

That's about right. Scale length for a 3/4 is generally around 41.3", but it can vary a bit either way

Full size is around 43.3", but a 3/4 size bass is pretty much the standard now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

"3/4 size" is definitely a misnomer, isn't it, if full size is only a 6% bigger scale length! 

Yes; if mathematicians were in charge, a 3/4-size bass would have a scale length of 3√(3/4) x 43.3" = 39.4".

🤓

14 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Yes; if mathematicians were in charge, a 3/4-size bass would have a scale length of x 43.3" = 39.4".

🤓

Well you've now piqued my interest(!) but I'm not sure about your formula...

3√(3/4) = 3*0.866 = 2.60 as your multiplicative factor?

Scrap that! I think you meant 3√(3/4) i.e. cube root of 3/4 which makes better sense! :) 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 1

But thanks, anyway, for the formula.

What it does tell me is that a "3/4" EUB is actually an 85% EUB if we were going on scaled down volumes, but because they are effectively sticks, they're perhaps better thought of as 95% EUBs based on scale length. Lol! 

And the scale length of a "3/4" EUB is  significantly closer to a full scale upright than a short scale bass (30") is to a standard 34" scale bass. 

Well I've learnt something new today! 😊

Edited by Al Krow

I’ll be honest, I haven’t read this entire thread.

But if you’re looking to spend ~£1k and find the more expensive EUBs out of reach, do consider buying an actual double bass.

You’ll get a good second hand laminated bass or even solid wood example at that level.

You’ll learn far more in terms of technique using the real thing.

Good luck....

Edited by MJJS
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I decided to hold on to my Stagg EUB till I've gigged it a couple of times, first one of which could be just a fortnight away - ugh! 🙂, as it seemed a bit extravagant to be upgrading at this early relatively novice stage of my EUB playing life.

Just came across this little tip relating to Stagg EUB's of using a couple of washers to reduce the body-rest handle nuts and reduce the vibration / noise from it. 

• Al Krow changed the title to Stepping up from a Stagg EUB - recommendations please!

I have one and I've thought about it after playing a friend's actual proper full fat DB and realising the neck on that was much easier to play than the EDB!

I reckon it would probably be money chucked away though - the cost of getting it done is never going to be recouped on sale.

1 hour ago, Jakester said:

I have one and I've thought about it after playing a friend's actual proper full fat DB and realising the neck on that was much easier to play than the EDB!

I reckon it would probably be money chucked away though - the cost of getting it done is never going to be recouped on sale.

I agree with you on the costs not being recouped on sale. But tbf that's often very true for a lot of bass mods, right?

It's just that, unlike standard electric basses, there is precious little in between the budget end of the Stagg EUB or Harley Benton EUB 500 (which doesn't seem to get anything like as much love in these parts) and the next level EUBs which all seem to be £1k+.

I think I'm going to at least test the water and see how it much it would cost to get done. And maybe I can get the annoying truss rod rattle fixed at the same time! 😄

Edited by Al Krow