Why become a member? ×

Studio/office/gaming chair advice please

SH73

I have to try before buy. I went to Staples (USA) and tried about 16 chairs. Went with a "gaming" chair, but that wasn't the deal-breaker. I've got a bad back, etc., I'm 62 and I play the Stick sitting down, do the laptop in it, watch TV, read. The armrests go up (for Stick/bass playing). It's just comfortable and modifiable. I put a cushion behind my neck and a foam roll for additional lumbar when needed. They had one with those that was $25 more. I already had cushions. It was $150 US. "Office" chairs didn't cut it, even ones hundreds more. The last chair I had was $99 and one of the cheapest they had. I wore that one out after several fixes. So yeah, for us old codgers TRY BEFORE YOU BUY. 

On 17/12/2020 at 12:16, acidbass said:

I read a bunch of reviews recently about gaming chairs (was in the market at the time) and the general consensus was that most are very uncomfortable for long sessions, with cushioned areas in the wrong places and a lack of adjustment.  The highest rated surprisingly were from Ikea, and they were among the low/mid price ones.

This is something I take a great interest in as gaming is #1 hobby. The things marketed as gaming chairs are quite often absolute rubbish, designed with visual impact rather than ergonomic comfort in mind. Taking design cues from fixed-wing bucket seats that you'd find in a sports car was a bad idea for the market, as those seats are designed to be used with a harness and to stop you sliding around under cornering and braking forces. For a chair that you'd sit in an office or game in, they're all wrong and can be quite uncomfortable after a period of time. The rocker chairs, shaped like the end of a hockey stick, are also pretty poor and will make your lower back ache by design. 

• Like 1

I’ve just picked up and assembled the “Markus” chair from IKEA, as recommended in this thread. What a massive upgrade over my previous chair! It’s really comfy with a thick padded seat, nice tall back rest and a good range of adjustment. £150 well spent I’d say.

If it suddenly falls apart I’ll edit my post xD

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

It is best to try first and then buy. Of course, it's not always possible to try something initially. When I was first looking for a co-working space, I visited every office I liked. I couldn't trust another person to do it. I looked at different options for about a week and managed to find the perfect co-working space thanks to osdoro.com. Great office in Houston with good neighbors. What's more, I became friends with one of them, and he recently invited me to his wedding.

Edited by Maricores

On 19/08/2021 at 09:48, Maricores said:

It is best to try it first, and only then buy it.

Already bought one at Christmas and it's comfortable without trying it before buying. Thanks anyway

Edited by SH73

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I think that everyone should choose chairs more carefully. The work chair should be lifting and turning, adjustable in height and angles of inclination of the seat and backrest, as well as the distance of the backrest from the front edge of the center. At the same time, the adjustment of each parameter should be independent, efficiently carried out, and have a reliable fixation. I bought my ideal chair on eurekaergonomic.com, but I use it for work because I spend a lot of time working at the computer; it is essential to me that the chair is comfortable, and this is what I need.

Edited by denzaldeer
Spammer

I have computer desks upstairs in my teeny tiny office and downstairs, which is where most bass playing gets done. Office chairs with fabric seats in both places, with all the spammer-identified features, and the downstairs one allows the arms to be swivelled backwards out of the way to play bass. Each of them cost about £30 off Ebay. Plus when my employer shut our office as we were all working from home, I kept my office chair from there too - just got to find somewhere to put it.

Just found one that has the same swivelling arms as mine: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295387127148 You can tell by the disc at the bottom of the arm - the button visible at about one o'clock on the perimeter of the disc is the arm release. It does mean that the arms move slightly when in the up position but that doesn't bother me at all.

IKEA chairs are not great. We went through four different models and all went back. They’re good for about 20 minutes, then you start looking around for a cushion to put on the seat to get rid of the hotspots on your butt. Just not comfortable in the long run. Check out the second hand classifieds—everyone and their brother are trying to unload them. 

The best thing about IKEA is their return policy. 

We ended up getting a Herman Miller. Not cheap, but incredibly comfortable. 

I also bought one of these recently for playing bass https://www.andrewsofficefurniture.com/lugo-mesh-operator-chair . You can swivel the arms completely out of the way, which makes it a really comfortable seat for bass/guitar playing. Andrews has branches in Northampton, in and around North London too. They were super helpful with advice too.