Why become a member? ×

Studio/office/gaming chair advice please

SH73

I need to get a comfortable Studio/office/gaming chair for my music room. Preferably comfy, and folding arm rests to be able to play guitar/bass. My budget is up to £150. I know it's not a lot but I found some on Amazon. Anyone uses and can recommend a suitable chair? Thanks

1 hour ago, SH73 said:

I need to get a comfortable Studio/office/gaming chair for my music room. Preferably comfy, and folding arm rests to be able to play guitar/bass. My budget is up to £150. I know it's not a lot but I found some on Amazon. Anyone uses and can recommend a suitable chair? Thanks

I got one of these 6 months ago. Comfy enough as I have worked 8 hour days from home since March. Decent price. 
I always have without arms for bass playing ease.

https://www.officefurnitureonline.co.uk/comfort-ergo-3-lever-mesh-operator-chairs.html

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

I got one of these 6 months ago. Comfy enough as I have worked 8 hour days from home since March. Decent price. 
I always have without arms for bass playing ease.

https://www.officefurnitureonline.co.uk/comfort-ergo-3-lever-mesh-operator-chairs.html

Thanks for replying. 6 months 8 hours still comfy, sounds good

I'm afraid that my only advice is to try before you buy. We wandered around three furniture/office shops yesterday and only found one that we liked. The one that we would have chosen from the shop's website was horrible!

Then they told us that we can't take it home, but have to wait until possibly February. Humph!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I got an ikea office chair for 60 or 70 quid a year ago and its great. A lot sturdier than it looks, will give you the product name once I'm in my garage/ office/ studio/ man retreat/ store all household crap in here dad won't mind room. It has arms but they're easily adjustable. Also been working at home in this daily since covid, no issues. 

• Thanks 1

the Ikea Markus chair is very comfortable, i had one until my wife stole it. I just didn't fit the arms when I assembled it. the ikea one that i'm using at the moment isn't as good but it was a third of the price.

our Markus is the leather one, and is about 12 years old and going strong.

MARKUS Vissle dark grey, Office chair - IKEA

Matt

I looked up the difference between office and gaming chairs recently, apparently a lot of the gaming chairs have a lip to the front edge of the seat, or slope up towards the front edge, a bit like a bucket seat in a car. I don't know if there's some advantage to this for gamers, but it's a bad idea for a chair you might sit up to a desk in for any length of time.

I had an Ikea one which was fine but the gas lift leaked oil after not a great deal of use. 

I like folding arm rests as well, but they are hard to find. I just bought one of these: https://www.chairoffice.co.uk/alabama-mesh-office-chair/?gclid=CjwKCAiAoOz-BRBdEiwAyuvA66GO3cTUP14BFC_97X1hYB3_k3cOAvZh08M3SVWOmaLUAFBjKRNOaBoCVZ0QAvD_BwE and although it was fairly cheap you can see why when you get it. Also, it didn't quite go up high enough for my desk, so I ended up swapping the gas lift for a decent quality longer one with a gaurantee on it.

• Like 1

Totally agree with Si. Don't buy online. I have a back problem and looked at a local retailer online, before going to their shop to try them out in person. The two or three I had shortlisted would have crippled me if I'd sat in them for any length of time. I tried about 30 chairs and only two of them were comfortable. The one I ended up buying wasn't even on my radar until I tried it in person. 

• Like 2

I read a bunch of reviews recently about gaming chairs (was in the market at the time) and the general consensus was that most are very uncomfortable for long sessions, with cushioned areas in the wrong places and a lack of adjustment.  The highest rated surprisingly were from Ikea, and they were among the low/mid price ones.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Matt P said:

the Ikea Markus chair is very comfortable, i had one until my wife stole it. I just didn't fit the arms when I assembled it. the ikea one that i'm using at the moment isn't as good but it was a third of the price.

our Markus is the leather one, and is about 12 years old and going strong.

MARKUS Vissle dark grey, Office chair - IKEA

Matt

No idea whether it's comfortable or not but looks like it'll always be pleased to see you.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

I got an ikea office chair for 60 or 70 quid a year ago and its great. A lot sturdier than it looks, will give you the product name once I'm in my garage/ office/ studio/ man retreat/ store all household crap in here dad won't mind room. It has arms but they're easily adjustable. Also been working at home in this daily since covid, no issues. 

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/flintan-office-chair-vissle-grey-80336838/

Here it is. No arms!! I'm sat in it all day 5 days a week for 9 months and until I was actually looking at it just now I thought it had arms...! Its almost like it's become part of the furniture... 

These are very good value IMO. 

I would like to ‘un second’ (and ‘un first’ for that matter) the notion of buying chairs on line. All I did was ask an experienced gamer what he would recommend and ordered one of them. Bit expensive, but oh so worth it. Only problem is, whenever I lean back in it, I fall asleep 😂, it’s that comfortable.

https://secretlab.co.uk/collections/titan-series#titan_2020-batman

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I would like to ‘un second’ (and ‘un first’ for that matter) the notion of buying chairs on line. All I did was ask an experienced gamer what he would recommend and ordered one of them. Bit expensive, but oh so worth it. Only problem is, whenever I lean back in it, I fall asleep 😂, it’s that comfortable.

when you are on the large side you need to see if you can fit into it first :)

not your problem, mine 

Edited by bazzbass

3 hours ago, bazzbass said:

when you are on the large side you need to see if you can fit into it first :)

not your problem, mine 

Fair enough, but Secretlab make different sizes for each of their models of chair and also give height and weight definitions for each, so you probably wouldn’t have bought one in error. 

I've had a Secretlabs Titan chair for about a year now, and you can dig about 'plastic' leather all you like, I have not once 'sat in a pool of sweat', and believe me I have spent some considerable time in the chair due to Covid crap. yes they ain't cheap but they ARE worth every penny, the only reason I didn't post earlier was because the OP wanted a chair without arms.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Oopsdabassist said:

I've had a Secretlabs Titan chair for about a year now, and you can dig about 'plastic' leather all you like, I have not once 'sat in a pool of sweat', and believe me I have spent some considerable time in the chair due to Covid crap. yes they ain't cheap but they ARE worth every penny, the only reason I didn't post earlier was because the OP wanted a chair without arms.

I am thinking of getting one of these (sadly needing the XL version) and am pleased to see some reviews from real people on here. Thank you and @hiram.k.hackenbacker. I will probably go for the full leather version, however.

1 hour ago, Oopsdabassist said:

+1 to that mate. Don’t know about yours, but the arms drop and retract backwards enough for me to use it as a seat for when I’m on Jamakazam. Used it for three hours solid on Sunday without issue.