Why become a member? ×

EBS Stanley Clarke Acoustic Preamp

Al Krow

I've been my SC Acoustic pre-amp  using this at rehearsals with a couple of bands and feeding it into the return socket on the bass amps and it sounds superb. Nice clear and hi-fi sounding. I have a gig Friday where i'm playing both bass guitar and my EUB so I plan to use it for my EUB through to the PA.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Anyone able to report back with "tried and tested gig experience" with this. I'm doing lots of Big Band doubling gigs at the moment and this would be ideal. So anyone using it for but both upright and electric would be especially appreciated 

1 hour ago, SimBass said:

Anyone able to report back with "tried and tested gig experience" with this. I'm doing lots of Big Band doubling gigs at the moment and this would be ideal. So anyone using it for but both upright and electric would be especially appreciated 

Yep, tried and tested on upright and electric.  Line-ups range from quintet to 27-piece, and we're playing a mixture of clubs, wedding venues, and concert halls.  Sometimes I'm on in-ears (in which case, monitor feed input and IEM output both go via the EBS), or if not, I use one or two Yamaha DXR10 speakers.  Other than not having a tuner, the EBS does everything I need it to, and does it well, with nothing extraneous - it's really simplified my doubling setup.  Great connectivity and sensible layout makes it intuitive to tweak.  10/10 👍

• Like 3

Thanks @jrixn1sounds good, (and very similar to the types of gigs I'm doing). I'm currently running my DB through a fishman preamp and would really miss the tuner but it is, at least, very easily resolvable.

Can you just confirm what you mean by "monitor feed input and IEM output both go via the EBS", I can't get my head around how/why the monitor feed would go via the EBS?

I take a monitor mix from the desk without any bass in it, into the EBS aux in.  The EBS sums that with my bass signal and sends that combination via its headphone amp to my IEMs.  The advantage of this setup (rather than the typical way of running a monitor straight from the desk to my IEMs) is that the volume knob on the EBS controls the relative mix of my bass - so if I need more me, it's super easy to tweak.  Critically, the EBS DI output level isn't affected by the volume knob.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

I take a monitor mix from the desk without any bass in it, into the EBS aux in.  The EBS sums that with my bass signal and sends that combination via its headphone amp to my IEMs.  The advantage of this setup (rather than the typical way of running a monitor straight from the desk to my IEMs) is that the volume knob on the EBS controls the relative mix of my bass - so if I need more me, it's super easy to tweak.  Critically, the EBS DI output level isn't affected by the volume knob.

Got it. I hadn't considered using the aux and headphone in a live setting, but that makes perfect sense. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, jazzyvee said:

We have recently started using an IEM setup and so far it's not been without issues. i may try that suggestion next gig. just need a cable converter to get the monitor feed as a mini jack cable.

This is the one I have and recommend: https://www.designacable.com/stereo-3-5mm-mini-jack-to-mono-female-xlr-cable.html

How do you mix the levels of the monitor mix and the bass? Do you have to set the volume of the aux from the mixing desk (and hope it's good for the whole gig)? Or do you have some sort of inline volume control with you on stage?

Edited by SimBass

2 hours ago, SimBass said:

How do you mix the levels of the monitor mix and the bass? Do you have to set the volume of the aux from the mixing desk (and hope it's good for the whole gig)? Or do you have some sort of inline volume control with you on stage?

I try to get all the levels right during soundcheck.  We do have a digital desk though and I have individual tablet control over my entire mix.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Got a gig this afternoon which is all IEM so taking the SC acoustic preamp so hopefully the settings used at rehearsal will be fine live. i just wish the iem software on my tablet had some eq control as the headphone mix was a bit weak on bottom end.

1 hour ago, jazzyvee said:

Got a gig this afternoon which is all IEM so taking the SC acoustic preamp so hopefully the settings used at rehearsal will be fine live. i just wish the iem software on my tablet had some eq control as the headphone mix was a bit weak on bottom end.

It probably has - it’ll be on the output.

what IEMs are you using ? They could be the culprit of a bass light mix.

On 29/01/2023 at 10:07, EBS_freak said:

It probably has - it’ll be on the output.

what IEMs are you using ? They could be the culprit of a bass light mix.

I am using Acs ones that fit my custom ear moulds.

https://www.acscustom.com/uk/products/in-ear-monitors/universal-fit/pro-fit

Problem with them is they don't fit tightly enough in the ear moulds and came out a few times during the gig.

So yesterday I joined the EBS Stanley Clarke owners group when this little beauty arrived from Mark at Bassdirect. 
First impressions are very positive (through my studio monitors). EQ is nicely balanced, notch filter is a great tool and there are more switching and routing options than I’ll ever need. Just waiting of an insert cable before I shoehorn this onto my meagre pedal board, but this is going to make doubling gigs (fretless and EUB) so much easier 😎

C44F53F0-A476-4CBA-BA86-96E3A66A6F53.jpeg

Edited by JPJ

Quick question on this preamp... I have settled backline for electric bass, but I'm being asked to do some upright gigs soon, which may require amplification. I have a few powered PA speakers. CouId I use this preamp and a powered PA speaker (or is that a silly idea)

Any advice appreciated. I've never amplified a DB (or played a gig with one, but that's another story).

2 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Quick question on this preamp... I have settled backline for electric bass, but I'm being asked to do some upright gigs soon, which may require amplification. I have a few powered PA speakers. CouId I use this preamp and a powered PA speaker (or is that a silly idea)

Any advice appreciated. I've never amplified a DB (or played a gig with one, but that's another story).

Not a silly question at all, and lots of folk doing the same thing who are going for the FRFR (full range flat response) approach. The preamp is certainly capable of driving a line input from the XLR out, how successful this will be will depend on the powered PA cab you are using. 

14 minutes ago, JPJ said:

Not a silly question at all, and lots of folk doing the same thing who are going for the FRFR (full range flat response) approach. The preamp is certainly capable of driving a line input from the XLR out, how successful this will be will depend on the powered PA cab you are using. 

Fantastic, thanks for the response. I've actually got a few powered cabs to try it with, some very expensive and very competent ones. (I store the PA for the group, thankfully I don't do any of the knob twiddling.)

If I have a good week I'll see if I can afford one.

45 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

CouId I use this preamp and a powered PA speaker (or is that a silly idea)

Watch it, you'll be a convert! Since trying out my QSC K12.2 in PMT with a Fishman preamp I haven't used a traditional amp/cab setup since.

Bass > preamp > QSC > desk

If there's PA support then I use the QSC as a monitor, if not then I use it as backline. Never going back to amp/cabs. Thinking about the EBS SC as the two channels would be good between fretted and fretless acoustic basses.

1 hour ago, Burns-bass said:

I'm being asked to do some upright gigs soon, which may require amplification. I have a few powered PA speakers. CouId I use this preamp and a powered PA speaker

Yes absolutely.  I've been doing exactly that for a while: upright and bass guitar > EBS Stanley Clarke > powered speaker.
I've used Yamaha, QSC, RCF, and FBT powered speakers.
Best setup ever.

• Like 2