Why become a member? ×

EBS Stanley Clarke Acoustic Preamp

Al Krow

19 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

Yes, and I'm glad it does - sounds great with my P bass.  It's my almost ideal pedal; just a HPF on channel A would make it perfect.

Sounds like the Stanley Clarke could be your ideal pedal then given that you have the option of HPF or notch filter on either channel?

Edited by Al Krow

32 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Sounds like the Stanley Clarke could be your ideal pedal then given that you have the option of HPF or notch filter on either channel?

But I like the overdrive and the tuner in the MicroBass 3. I'll contact EBS and have them make a jrixn1 signature edition pedal!

• Like 2

The SC Preamp is really rather good! Sadly lockdown meant I’ve not been able to try it with a double bass, but I recorded my review with a piezo equipped (prototype) Gillett Guitars fretless 5 string - and it never sounded better. 

• Like 1

The emerging  consensus is that both of these pedals are ace, but they should get together and have a kid which would inherit their HPF, notch filter, dual channel EQ, compression, tuner, dirt, fx loops and DI outs.

come on EBS ... you know you want to :)

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

I've posted this on the effects section, but this might be useful here too....

This is my recently reformed 'doubling gig' pedal board. This enables me to process and quickly switch between double bass and electric bass mid-gig, but is also used for a variety of other situations. Signal chain is: EBS SC Pre-amp (tuner out into Korg Tuner)  > Seymour Duncan Compressor > DOD Chorus (selected via Bright Onions switch for true bypass). As you can see, the only ‘special effect’ is the selectable Chorus. However, the board has two hidden extra power cables to facilitate the temporary adding of extra effects to suit the requirements of different gigs. All powered by the wonderful Ciocks DC-7 power supply (hidden underneath). Most bits are secured with dual lock. Board is a RockBoard DUO 2.1.

1331750866_20210412_202635_Edited2(1).thumb.jpg.630a3ac9f8f01dd56b55d64b7a3b64ab.jpg

599973206_20210412_202809_Edited2(1).thumb.jpg.4b55721b7f2be3c51a52b9463b201c53.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, prowla said:

I've just put a CIOKS DC7 under my pedalboard; it's good in that every output has the same 4 power options (9/12/15/18V).

Plus it has a USB out.

It's an expensive, but fab power supply, isn't it. Mine seems to run quite 'cool' too, which is useful, and it's very light. It just fits under the DUO 2.1, although I had to cut the plug off to feed the cable through. I'm going to drill and mount a USB panel mount on the side so I can wire this into the Ciocks when I get time; that should make it a bit easier to acess that handy USB.

3 hours ago, guyl said:

@MuddBass - how you liking the Stanley Preamp? 

The EBS SC is great. I've not gigged it yet (for obvious reason), but I have used it for recording both arco and pizz upright bass on a couple of recent sessions. It's very handy having the phanton power option alongwith the HPF etc. It produces a nice transparent sound when run 'flat'. For me, the big bonus is that it replaces several other pedals into one portable unit. Previously, to achieve a similar result as the EBS SC, I'd run: a bright onion A/B/Mute pedal + a Rafferty HPF + Fishman preamp + electric bass pre-amp. For me, it will make doubling gigs less hassle in equipment terms, and as a bonus the pedal is very useful for recording etc too. I'll provide more info / feedback once I've used it 'in anger' at a gig.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MuddBass said:

It's an expensive, but fab power supply, isn't it. Mine seems to run quite 'cool' too, which is useful, and it's very light. It just fits under the DUO 2.1, although I had to cut the plug off to feed the cable through. I'm going to drill and mount a USB panel mount on the side so I can wire this into the Ciocks when I get time; that should make it a bit easier to acess that handy USB.

The EBS SC is great. I've not gigged it yet (for obvious reason), but I have used it for recording both arco and pizz upright bass on a couple of recent sessions. It's very handy having the phanton power option alongwith the HPF etc. It produces a nice transparent sound when run 'flat'. For me, the big bonus is that it replaces several other pedals into one portable unit. Previously, to achieve a similar result as the EBS SC, I'd run: a bright onion A/B/Mute pedal + a Rafferty HPF + Fishman preamp + electric bass pre-amp. For me, it will make doubling gigs less hassle in equipment terms, and as a bonus the pedal is very useful for recording etc too. I'll provide more info / feedback once I've used it 'in anger' at a gig.

The USB on mine is going to a 12-Step MIDI pedals.

Edited by prowla
  • Like 1

For those that don't usually read it, there's a very good writeup of this preamp in May's edition of Sound On Sound. Not often you get bass-centric gear in that mag but they gave it a thorough explanation of input combinations and what switches there are on the box.

One missing feature I would have liked would have been battery operation, perhaps with the loss of 48v. My Fishman Pocket Blender, which I adore and would cry if it broke, can do dual input with electret phantom power with a PP3 battery

• Like 1

15 hours ago, chyc said:

For those that don't usually read it, there's a very good writeup of this preamp in May's edition of Sound On Sound. Not often you get bass-centric gear in that mag but they gave it a thorough explanation of input combinations and what switches there are on the box.

One missing feature I would have liked would have been battery operation, perhaps with the loss of 48v. My Fishman Pocket Blender, which I adore and would cry if it broke, can do dual input with electret phantom power with a PP3 battery

Its current pull is quite high.  

Edited by prowla

9 hours ago, prowla said:

It’s current pull is quite high.  

You're right that's probably the reason. Shame really. I get 60 hours from my Pocket Blender on a single charge, but no 9v would cut it if the current requirement is too high.

<whinge> Why isn't there a standard battery size for Lithium so you can buy and replace batteries across multiple devices? Keeping AA/PP3 stocked in shops shows there's clearly still a market for swapping out batteries rather than waiting 9 hours for your device to charge.</whinge>

2 hours ago, chyc said:

...<whinge> Why isn't there a standard battery size for Lithium so you can buy and replace batteries across multiple devices? Keeping AA/PP3 stocked in shops shows there's clearly still a market for swapping out batteries rather than waiting 9 hours for your device to charge.</whinge>

Nominal voltage of a Lithium-Ion cell is 3.6v; a pack of three has a voltage of 11.1. They don't tend to reduce gradually, so that voltage remains until near the end. If pedals can stand the extra volts, then it's just a case of making up a suitable casing and connections, and having a suitable charger, of course. Easy enough for a modellist. They may be a bit bulky compared to PP3, depending on required capacity, but small ones for drones are available. 

Battery for drone ...

42 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Nominal voltage of a Lithium-Ion cell is 3.6v; a pack of three has a voltage of 11.1. They don't tend to reduce gradually, so that voltage remains until near the end. If pedals can stand the extra volts, then it's just a case of making up a suitable casing and connections, and having a suitable charger, of course. Easy enough for a modellist. They may be a bit bulky compared to PP3, depending on required capacity, but small ones for drones are available. 

Battery for drone ...

My point was along the lines of that there's a global standard for Alkaline batteries, but the world has moved on to more power hungry stuff but instead of there being a standard for lithium every device has a different size and shape of battery, making swapping them out impossible. Nothing really to do with this preamp.

5 minutes ago, chyc said:

My point was along the lines of that there's a global standard for Alkaline batteries, but the world has moved on to more power hungry stuff but instead of there being a standard for lithium every device has a different size and shape of battery, making swapping them out impossible. Nothing really to do with this preamp.

I've model aircraft (and their Transmitters...), and need a wide collection of batteries to cover the different configurations, physical size, capacity, charging speed, voltage, weight and more. They all have a common connection system, so only one charger for the lot, and all my 'planes have the same connectors. It's pretty standardised in this domain, except that the usage is so variable. The batteries last a very long time, so it's really not often at all that one needs to change from one to another, so once one has one (or two, if used in rotation...) there's no further requirement for replacing or swapping.

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

I've model aircraft (and their Transmitters...), and need a wide collection of batteries to cover the different configurations, physical size, capacity, charging speed, voltage, weight and more. They all have a common connection system, so only one charger for the lot, and all my 'planes have the same connectors. It's pretty standardised in this domain, except that the usage is so variable. The batteries last a very long time, so it's really not often at all that one needs to change from one to another, so once one has one (or two, if used in rotation...) there's no further requirement for replacing or swapping.

Sure, that's fine. There are times though when you'd like to be able to swap batteries and charge outside the device. Bike lights and effects pedals are two examples that spring to mind.

• 1 month later...
On 22/02/2021 at 13:34, jrixn1 said:

I have the MicroBass 3 and am not going to swap it for the Stanley Clarke.

Hmm, well I did pick up a Stanley Clarke in the end, so have both here in front of me now and just decide which one to keep!  I'm thinking I'll prefer having the full EQ and HPF on both channels (Stanley Clarke) over the drive channel and tuner (MicroBass 3)...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Hmm, well I did pick up a Stanley Clarke in the end, so have both here in front of me now and just decide which one to keep!  I'm thinking I'll prefer having the full EQ and HPF on both channels (Stanley Clarke) over the drive channel and tuner (MicroBass 3)...

Clearly moving out of the London smog and heading further West is refining your thinking; you'll be delving into the virtues of compressors next! 😁

More seriously, are you finding that there is any difference in the overall quality / sound from the two pedals?

Ha - well, I'd like to give the Spectracomp some gig time first, but I think it might stay...

I'll have to report back on the Stanley Clarke, as I've only really noodled a little bit so far; but it seems just as high sound quality and build quality as I was expecting.  Really well-built piece of kit!

• Like 1

Good thread, i have been thinking of one as a replacement for my pjb big head in which the battery is dead, no longer charges, and the usb socket no longer connects consistently. Plus i could use it for and gigs where i won't be using my own rig and can plug directly into a the power amp section of a backline. Usually they have more knobs and sliders than i know what to do with. The stereo option would be good when using my stereo basses into a mono head, plus a decent DI to the PA.

• Like 1

On 25/02/2021 at 22:11, Dood said:

The SC Preamp is really rather good! Sadly lockdown meant I’ve not been able to try it with a double bass, but I recorded my review with a piezo equipped (prototype) Gillett Guitars fretless 5 string - and it never sounded better. 

Have you a link to your review please?

• 8 months later...

How hard would it to have taken an output from one of the channels. What are these designers doing? Really, HOW HARD?

The market for this pedal has about 50% of users wanting or needing a stereo out (or 2X MONO one from each Chanel)). I am going to look at the manual. but I hold little hope of this. Of course a decent electrical engineer could put a switch an a socket out just before the internal mix.  But cost and voiding warrantees, etc. Same for the Headway. Both of these units are so close to my needs, but no dual out no money changing hands. I will see if I can get the electrical plans and will come back later If I get a solution.

Thanks

5 minutes ago, WillB said:

How hard would it to have taken an output from one of the channels. What are these designers doing? Really, HOW HARD?

The market for this pedal has about 50% of users wanting or needing a stereo out (or 2X MONO one from each Chanel)). I am going to look at the manual. but I hold little hope of this. Of course a decent electrical engineer could put a switch an a socket out just before the internal mix.  But cost and voiding warrantees, etc. Same for the Headway. Both of these units are so close to my needs, but no dual out no money changing hands. I will see if I can get the electrical plans and will come back later If I get a solution.

Thanks

Doesn't it have the 2nd channel through one of the XLR outputs?