Why become a member? ×

NBD - Swiss Army Bass!

gafbass02

Well it all got a bit weird! 
I bought this Chapman pictured below as my ‘congratulations for not dying bass’ after the whole COVID thing. It was money I couldn’t afford, but I was struggling to manage the weight of my jazz bass and found that playing really helped me mentally and cognitively. So I bought it. 

...But I had to keep it in the living room for fear of mould getting in the open pore wood (my gear is in the cellar) which wasn’t ideal. Nor was having borrowed the money from savings to buy it, or the fear of damaging such a beautiful (to me) finish with my clumsyness or the kids knocking it over in the living room, or making a dent with my thumb while playing (done this to Warwicks before).

So sadly, I sold it.

I also, even more sadly, sold my lake placid blue fender marauder guitar as I’m not playing guitar anymore. 
I started looking around at Harley bentons, (I needed a maple neck for the cellar an all, and I fancied a musicman humbucker ) I also looked at sire (I fancied active, but like having a passive tone control and like fender shapes) 

But also quite fancied a P bass sound...but don’t like p basses...and I missed the lovely blue of my marauder and whatever I got had to be cheap and light. 
A big ask! 

Then I spotted this Cort GB74 ‘gig’. Cort is a brand I’ve always sniffed at. It was cheap, light, had a maple neck, was the right colour, with a p pickup, a humbucker a jazz single coil and active electronics with passive mode with a tone control! Literally everything I’m looking for in one bass. Bar the block markers (decals incoming!)  I pulled the trigger and it came on Weds  

Apparently it’s made in the same place as Lakland skylines and it has a sandberg preamp. It feels lovely and familiar, is set up perfectly, hip shot ultra lite tuners are dead stable. Sounds fab and let’s me jump from passsive p to active jazz to musicman (ish) all in one bass. Plus that brilliant truss rod adjustment location and what is basically a badass bridge as standard. 
Its not the prettiest or most prestigious bass I’ve owned. But it’s perfect for the music I play and I’m not worried about it getting bumped or nicked. 

The negatives... I don’t like the plain white pickguard, I’ll have to have a custom Pearl one made. 
The bridge pickup has a little buzz. Only a little. 
The satin neck looks anaemic but feels amazing. 
no blocks and binding. 
The MM sound isn’t quite as close as I’d like, but whatever.
It has a silly name! (Who calls a bass ‘Gig’) 
I certainly won’t be sniffing at Cort anymore!  It looks ‘stretched’ in the pics, it’s not. It’s a jazz shape near as damnit. I just took poor pictures🤣

18EF44C2-E3ED-4D7E-AA1F-710363475888.jpeg

08C857DB-C80C-49AD-B094-8C280DD543B0.jpeg

D7C94104-E83E-4BEB-B029-BAD6E33F7836.jpeg

88836FE0-8EAD-4FBC-8D01-713896960C88.jpeg

0633CB96-F086-4930-9FFE-933011558BCE.jpeg

B5E85387-2ED9-4C8A-8AC3-DD2E1B83C48B.jpeg

Edited by gafbass02
  • Like 9