Why become a member? ×

LOUIS 'Thunder-Thumbs' JOHNSON

Bart Funk Bass

4 hours ago, Bart Funk Bass said:

His tone is thin in the mix. However, he didn't sound as good anymore as he dumped the StingRay.

Fraid I agree and I dont like saying so as LJ's one of my 5 players. I learnt to play slap using his Star Licks vid with him thumping the feck out of his Stingray. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bart Funk Bass said:

His tone is thin in the mix. However, he didn't sound as good anymore as he dumped the StingRay.

I was making allowances for the recording. I like his style, it's just slap solos don't do it for me.

I still loved that drummer.

10 hours ago, Bart Funk Bass said:

He is too low in the mix at the start of that solo - the drums and percussion are far louder! And arguably, the sound is too scooped. 

When I saw them live, circa 1978/79 Louis Johnson played an Alembic Series 1 or 2 - sounded amazing. For an encore just Louis walked on with his bass - played about 10 seconds of groove laden slap and then asked whether the people at the back could hear his bass! Then another 10 seconds of even more intense slap - repeated 2 or 3 times - then played a bass line and the rest if the band appeared and they played one of the hits (maybe Get The Funk Outta My Face) 😀

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

To me, on that OP video, it sounds like LJ is struggling a bit. Certainly not the 'live' powerhouse I remember hearing.

I must say, one of my favourite slap players. I still listen to my Brothers Johnson albums quite a lot...And so do my two teenage boys.

This live clip shows his classic sound and powerhouse thumping.

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, lowdown said:

To me, on that OP video, it sounds like LJ is struggling a bit. Certainly not the 'live' powerhouse I remember hearing.

I must say, one of my favourite slap players. I still listen to my Brothers Johnson albums quite a lot...And so do my two teenage boys.

He was much healthier back then. I think that's why we almost didn't hear anything from Louis in 2000s.

• Like 2

On 18/01/2021 at 10:31, lowdown said:

I'd give that clip 10  Likes if it were poss. That's why he's my all time fave bass player. Only problem with that clip,  the audience looked dead from the nack down. Sure there were chairs but they they're for standing on!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...