Why become a member? ×

Pmt..

Brian45

2 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

As if nobody has ever had a light hearted joke at the expense of singers, drummers, guitarists, keyboard players, sound engineers..... 

Yeah, but there's a bit of a difference between musicians having a friendly dig at each other, and a retailer going "Hey bassists, you're a bit rubbish! Buy our stuff please."

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rich said:

Yeah, but there's a bit of a difference between musicians having a friendly dig at each other, and a retailer going "Hey bassists, you're a bit rubbish! Buy our stuff please."

That's not what they're saying. As mentioned, they could have chosen any instrument, but they chose the bass because  bass and guitar are seen as being similar to many people.

The message says nothing other than "hey guitarist, why don't you try a [instrument] instead".

Edited by TheLowDown
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Rich said:

Yeah, but there's a bit of a difference between musicians having a friendly dig at each other, and a retailer going "Hey bassists, you're a bit rubbish! Buy our stuff please.

I think you're reading too much in to it. If they followed it up with something like hey if you're crap at music check out our drum department it's the same kind of thing. It's just a light hearted joke. Otherwise, why would they sell basses if that was their view? 

It's a light hearted joke. I've already sent it to my band and asked the guitarist what colour Encore P bass he wants. Because I can laugh at myself and the implication that bassists are just sh!t guitarists. We know it's not true, that's why we can feel secure enough that it is just a silly joke. If anyone is offended by it or won't shop at PMT because of it then really they're taking themselves too seriously. 

• Like 7

The best thing that ever happened to me was being in a band where the two guitarists were better than me and they said "sell the Fender Mustang and get a Jazz Bass". It doesn't work for everyone but I found my calling in the subterranean. Although if you can't play guitar because you got no riddem, you might as well work in a gas station...

11 hours ago, TheLowDown said:

That's not what they're saying. As mentioned, they could have chosen any instrument, but they chose the bass because  bass and guitar are seen as being similar to many people.

The message says nothing other than "hey guitarist, why don't you try a [instrument] instead".

are you their apologist?

they are saying "guitarists that are stinky poo can be bass players just by buying a bass" ie playing bass is easy

• Like 1

20 hours ago, leroydiamond said:

I was laughing as soon as I saw the letters  PMT 

Yes - a retailer who wants to offend the female population just by the acronym/ name being coincident with the much more commonly known acronym for a female only (I think?) medical condition - reminds me of that Tory politician/ ex leader who (seemingly accidentally) didn't mind being referred to by initials which sound very like the acronym for Irritable Bowel Syndrome - quite accurate maybe 😂

We have to take the bass player mild joke/slur on the chin - but it would be like advertising part of their store as - gentlemen (because they seemingly haven't considered female musicians exist), for those non-musicians who cannot knock on a door without the knocking speeding up (btw that's how you can tell it's a drummer at your door without seeing them 😏👍😂), step this way - into their drum room/area 😁

Edited by drTStingray