Why become a member? ×

Strap Nut Repair Question

Linus27

The screw that hold the strap nut on the body of my Jazz bass at the bridge end won't stay in. The thread must have gone on the wood as it just falls out.

What's the best repair, using something like gorilla glue or no nails using the existing hole or just making a new hole? 

Many thanks in advance.

Don't use gorilla glue!

Fill the hole with wood glue, then squeeze in as many wooden tooth sticks, matches, or similar thin wood sticks that will fit into the hole, as you can into the hole so they sit tight, break or cut them off at the surface of the hole and wipe off excess glue with a moist cloth, then screw the strap nut back in and let the glue dry (usually wood glue will take 24 hours to completely dry), this will with guarantee make the strap nut sit more securely in the bass than it even did before.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 4

On 10/12/2020 at 21:28, Reggaebass said:

I usually plug holes like that with a few cocktail sticks , and you can put a bit of wood glue in the hole aswell if you want and the screw will re thread 🙂

same here, sometimes just used the sticks alone but I prefer adding a bit of wood glue. The result is solid and it stays for years as far as I can tell.

• Like 1

in extreme cases i have drilled the hole out to 4mm and glued in (with pva) a piece of hardwood dowel before drilling a pilot hole and re-fitting the button, in those cases i give the glue plenty of time before drilling.

Matt