Why become a member? ×

RIP Sean Malone

Graham

Cynic bassist and academic Sean Malone has died, he was in his mid 50s

https://www.theprp.com/2020/12/09/news/cynic-bassist-sean-malone-has-passed-away/

One Of the earliest adopters of fretless bass in metal, he was a huge influence on many players after Cynic's debut, and for a long time only, record Focus.

With highly technical fretless playing, more of a jazz musician than a metal player, Malone will be sorely missed. His work on the subsequent Cynic albums after they reunited in the early 2000s was stunning, as well as his solo record Gordian Knot.

Here he is in the studio playing through the opening track of Focus - Veil Of Maya

• Sad 3

Tragic news, Sean has been a huge influence on my playing since I first heard him back in '93 and is the reason I play fretless and Chapman Stick. To lose both him and Sean Reinert this year is devastating.

I had the privilege of being taught by Sean back in 2000 when he was in London recording with Bill Bruford. Not only was he a stellar musician but he was a great teacher who was very passionate about education. Years later I had the incredible honour of - albeit briefly - stepping in to his shoes to play Chapman Stick with Cynic on some shows in 2008.

• Like 4