Why become a member? ×

My Bass life

HenningDK

My bass life started in 1967 after having played the guitar joining my first band dyring autumn 1962. My first guitar there was a Harmony H49 Stratotone, seen in the mirror it is the best guitar I ever owned, later on I had Gibson Les Paul Professional and Fender Strat, and japanese Les Paul clones,  but I still miss my H49, which I was so stupid to sell ! The first bass I owned was a Burns Bison vith a “violin shaped” peghead and three pickups, it also had a hand rest over the strings, a Pre- Shadows model. A brief periode I played a Danelectro Longhorn short scale. Later on I again went on the guitar and bass vice versa. I joined a professional band and did it for a living though 6-1/2 years, and through this periode I found out the formula for fretting and made my own bass, the scale was 880 mm (Fender is 860 ), although I used a Jazz Bass as a sort of template. I found some rod magnets, made forms from pertinax and wound my own pickups. I used this bass for years, also occasionally for studio work. Later on I bought a Washburn, it had a more funky sound and was more suitable for a new band I joined late in ‘79 through ‘84.  Joining a more jazzy trio, I decided going “headless” and found a secondhand Washburn Status Series 100, which I have until this day. 
Just to tell a little more guitar story : I also made my own guitar, a sort of Les Paul “clone”, neck from maple, fretboard from rosewood and body in laminated mahogany, scale 625mm. I used two japanese pickups, installed 4 conductor screened cable and made a switch panel with lots of possibilities, only volume control and no tone control. I had it destroyed on a job, the peghead broke off, and for the insurance fee I bought a Steinberger GM4T. 
From my 50 years bithday I changed to piano, a few years later I bought a Hammond M3 !  I’m now 75, still playing, but only for amusement.

• Like 3

Nice and interesting intro... but i'm sure you know the rules... Pictures (or pictures of pictures if need be...) or it didnt happen! lets see 'em... specially the old and home grown...

Take at a look at the build diaries... ya never know?

Edit: Just googled Harmony H49... more knobs than a boy band!

Edited by PaulThePlug