Why become a member? ×

CTS 450 Series pots

franzbassist

I've just replaced the pots in my fretless with CTS 450 Series and I am astonished at how much they have improved the sound. The pots are quite firm to turn, which may be because they are new, but I like it as it means they hold position once set.  The bass sound seems to have a much richer tone.  I am really impressed.

For reference, the original pots were branded All Parts but made by CTS. 

Yes, I am a killjoy: 450 is a carbon track pot. CTS produces series 282 and 284 with conductive plastic tracks. Talk about quality and low noise. The firm feel comes from the substance between the shaft and the body. Put some alcohol or thinner to the shaft and it becomes loose. To get it back to firm you need to deconstruct the pot and put some thick grease or similar there.

19 minutes ago, itu said:

Yes, I am a killjoy: 450 is a carbon track pot. CTS produces series 282 and 284 with conductive plastic tracks. Talk about quality and low noise. 

The 450 series are advertised as being the highest quality guitar pots in the CTS range - are the 282 and 284 series with plastic tracks even better quality than the 450?