Why become a member? ×

Who makes raw bass cabinets to order?

PunkPonyPrincess

I dont need any finish (I have that) or stuffing or hardware, I just need someone to make me a raw lightweight cabinet out of 9mm ply for 6 to 10 Phil Jones Bass speakers I chanced upon. I would love a small 6 x 5" pjb style cabinet, these drivers are only ~400g each. 6 forward facing, or 4 x and 2 x upward -- small and light as possible.

I even have port hardware I just broke a toe and am not going to be making wood things.

image.jpeg

Edited by PunkPonyPrincess
  • Like 2

That will be a nice cab. I have five PJB 4x5 cabs and love them. How did you "chance upon" 8 or 10 PJB drive units?

You will need to increase the cab size over the 6x5 if you  intend to add two up-firing drivers.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 1

No but I have 4 more than I need if all I get made is a 6-er. These are the older generation which are from the Briefcase /Suitcase. Brand new, same footprint, amazingly light just not as light as the neopowers. I paid about £250 for all 10.

95C73198-733B-4808-A3E4-92D0EB860C8E.jpeg

Edited by PunkPonyPrincess

4 hours ago, PunkPonyPrincess said:

I just broke a toe and am not going to be making wood things.

That's probably where I've been going wrong in the past.  I've always used my hands. ☺️ That said, any woodwork project of mine always turns out like I made it with my feet. 

• Haha 8

On 09/12/2020 at 12:48, Merton said:

@Cosmicrain may be interested? :)

As I recently brought another new CNC earlier this year to help with my Zoot bass business, I was thinking (and only thinking) of doing a very small run of light weight Purple-Chili cabs to use up my stock of ultralite 12mm & 15mm ply etc that was/is left over from my Purple-Chili cab/amp building days. As I said, only thinking at the moment.

Jon Tuck amp.jpg

• Like 1

On 09/12/2020 at 11:22, PunkPonyPrincess said:

Distributor with repair stock closing down, clearing.

Oh wow, I wish I had been in your shoes!

Superb find.

For my own personal needs I'd be making up two 2x5's.

All the best with this project, can't wait to see the results

Edited by Woodwind

A couple of quotes are coming in at £450 — £550 (finished minus the cost of an ICEPower Amp)  plus extra wiring and safety/compliance test and so on — so I’ve decided to back out, cut my losses and get a real deal cabinet. I can get a new PJB C8 for about £650 and used for less. The economies do not stack up for me so I’m selling the drivers (while possibly keeping a few for spares).

False alarm, sorry all. I used to be a lot more DIY but less so as time goes on.

• Like 1