Why become a member? ×

🔒 SOLD! 1984 MIJ Squier Bullet Bass
£425
Brighton

meterman

I can't seem to edit the price here but it's now £400 collected from Brighton or £425 including shipping. 

WEIGHT UPDATE: on a set of digital scales it came out at 3.8kg (or 8.25lbs) which is reasonably light I'd guess?

It absolutely grieves me to be selling this bass, as it's one the nicest playing basses I've ever played, plus it took me a while to find it as they are not exactly an everyday item here in the UK.

As per the title, I'm selling my 1984 Japanese Squier Bullet Bass. I bought it from Gareth of this very forum just six months ago for £425 and it's been my pride and joy. So why am I selling it you might ask? Well, long term shoulder and neck problems are forcing me to scale down what I play. The weight of this bass on a strap is really painful on my left shoulder, and if I play it sitting down I get sharp nerve pain in the side of my neck when I play an F on the E string for instance. 

It's not a heavy bass and there's no neck dive issues. But the state of my left shoulder and left side of my neck is terrible so I'm having to go to something much lighter and smaller and shorter scale. My 34" scale days might be over for the forseeable future. If I wasn't in such a state physically I'd keep this. But I need a smaller lighter bass I can still record sessions with, and gig with when we're eventually allowed out onstage again.

When I bought the bass from Gareth it was in nice condition for a bass of its age. Few discreet dings around the edge of the body and to the underside of the headstock, and one circular ding in the back but nothing to worry about. There was a bit of tape on the pickup wiring in the control cavity, not sure what purpose it served but it's still there now. Also the neck plate had had a #number engraved in it, which wasn't in the original sale pics but it didn't bother me and it doesn't affect the sound or how it plays either. Just mentioning it for transparency so you know what to expect.

I swapped out the original 3-ply white/black/white pickguard for a custom made 3-ply b/w/b 'guard from Brian Pillans up in Glasgow. For me this was £30 well spent as it improved the aesthetics of the instrument 100%. I also swapped out the faded plastic volume and tone knobs for a pair of steel flat top barrel knobs like you'd find on a Precision or a Telecaster. Both these upgrades are reversible and of course I'll be supplying the original (faded to cream) pickguard and knobs with the bass. Black / black / maple is a unique combo for one of these basses, it wasn't offered stock in this configuration but it can go back to black / white / maple again in about 10 mins, no soldering required.

When I got the bass it had a fresh set of Rotosound Swing roundwounds on it. I swapped these out for a set of Fender Flatwounds (45-100 I think?) but the (unplayed by me) Rotosound rounds will be included. Other thing to mention is when I bought the bass there had been a finger rest / tug bar installed on the bass side above the E string. I didn't refit this when I changed the pickguard but it's included if you want to reinstall it. The pickups are grey underneath and look similar to the late period Fender Mustang pickups, they have 82 stamped on them.

Obviously 1984 is a cracking year for Japanese Squiers and the build quality, finish, feel, playability and tone are superb. Every bit as good as the USA Fender Bullet bass I owned previously and it records even better than my old USA Fender Bullet too. I've managed to get this on a forthcoming 7" single by a band I play in and an album track for another band which will be out on vinyl in February, so it's been documented in the six months I've owned it.

Anyhow, pics! The outdoor pics are the original ones Gareth took outside his house in natural daylight and the indoor ones are ones I took at home.

0.jpeg.31cdd4870664326a7100fa7ce02a4715.jpeg

0-1.jpeg.170a72a55cd87297e4966cc93d324f31.jpeg

s-l1600.thumb.jpeg.28f122d3a9d78bd75f8e2586f8444500.jpeg

385B702A-313C-4812-9AEA-DB0899A347F3.thumb.jpeg.6b8958165b1dcf8ff0aa67738076ea8b.jpeg.93da16251992ed6b72284910e359e02c.jpeg

C1D5D72C-F06D-46A8-9252-09E2F927A35A.thumb.jpeg.aa31b6e13307a6128cffb442e4655b36.jpeg.331378b0f4a05f3e054ca0f980a843d0.jpegFB063CCC-938B-4AEC-BF39-4775CA9E3E56.jpeg.b2b6f64152540350987fc1fd82c1ae3d.jpeg.9eaf485898163e61c617f559e2c532fd.jpeg

0-4.jpeg.be945e447cf82fcfa3e1e797bb755253.jpeg

0.jpeg.683b89c5483eb68202bf3e189ba79cf6.jpeg

I'm bringing the price down to £425 including shipping (or £400 if you collect from my place) so I'm making a loss on this, especially once you factor in the £55 I spent on the new pickguard and knobs and new strings) I just want to see it go to a good home and to someone who will be able to really get the most out of it. 

Collection can be from my place in central Brighton at £400, or I can courier it for £425 on either Tuesday the 15th or Wednesday the 16th of December. I'm emigrating for proper on the 17th so if you're interested PM me ASAP and we can sort it out! 

Cheers - 

Lee

Edited by meterman
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, Jono Bolton said:

I love it. I remember wondering what this would look like with a black pickguard when it was up for sale previously; 'absolutely smashing' is the answer.

Me too.

Two questions.  How much does it weigh, please?

And how does the tone vary from a Precision bass?

Muchas gracias.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gareth said:

Cracking basses

I like the changes you’ve made

GLWS

Gareth, thank you man 👍 You did such a great job of getting this bass to me, and were an absolute gent to deal with. If you had a hollow body Hofner Violin Bass for sale I'd already be transferring the funds now...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jono Bolton said:

I love it. I remember wondering what this would look like with a black pickguard when it was up for sale previously; 'absolutely smashing' is the answer.

Ha, thanks! There can't be another out there like this one. I wish I could keep it but I have to be realistic. 'Absolutely smashing' is right 👍

2 hours ago, Paul S said:

Me too.

Two questions.  How much does it weigh, please?

And how does the tone vary from a Precision bass?

Muchas gracias.

I actually have never weighed it as I don't have a set of scales. It's not heavy though, definitely on the lighter side of Precision-style basses. I'm back in the UK on Saturday for a few days so I'll ask a neighbour if I can borrow their scales and I'll post the weight up on here.

Tone wise, it's a bit of a Swiss Army knife bass. It can sound like a ballsier, long scale Fender Mustang. But it can also do the Precision thing. Roll back the treble and it's great for dub. Whack the treble up and dig in with a pick and you can get close to Chris Squire or JJ Burnel tones (depending on your amp). I regularly had a piece of foam at the bridge and this, combined with a bit of palm muting, will get 60's soul and R&B vibes. My default playing style is to pluck with the side of my thumb by the end of the neck and I could easily get Duck Dunn-style thump from it. 

I'll see if I can upload some recorded soundfiles of it...

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Paddy515 said:

Hi, does this come with both black AND white pickup covers? Can you tell me what the width of the neck is at the nut please. 41mm?  Standard - feeling P neck? Assume this would have been an SQ rather than a JV?

Regards.

Hi -

Thanks for asking. The pickup covers are the original white ones, I did a quick felt tip job on them as I couldn't find black replacements in the same size anywhere. The felt tip should come off with a soak in white vinegar. Someone else suggested acetone but I've no experience with using that. 

Neck width at nut is more like 44mm, it feels more like a '51 / Tele bass neck. Such an unusual combination of features on these basses. Mustang pickups, Tele bass neck and headstock, slightly reshaped Precision body and pickguard... very individual instruments.

I'm actually in France now, and not back in the UK until Saturday, so I can't check what the serial number is. It's on the neck plate but I don't have a photo of it with me and can't for the life of me remember what it says. It may well be SQ. I've been told that these were what Fender Japan / Squier produced straight after the JV series. I know it's 1984 though. I'll confirm for sure on Saturday night.

• Like 1

Holy Water.wav

Hopefully the file has attached properly and you can hear a track featuring the 1984 MIJ Squier Bullet bass in all it's glory!

Yes the tune is psychedelic funk, yes there's electric sitars and chanting on it and 60s style drum breaks but if the label wants to release it I'm not gonna argue, haha 😂

• Like 3

Just now, syntap said:

This model (in sunburst) was my first bass, thankfully I never sold it! 

Oh, the sunburst models are stunning! The bassist with Parquet Courts recorded and toured (still does?) with a sunburst Bullet bass. Lovely looking instruments 👍

• Like 1

Usually I wouldn’t dream of bumping a FS ad but I thought I’d better mention that if anyone is seriously interested in my beautiful 1984 Japanese Squier Bullet bass I’ve only got a few days available for collection and the only day I can courier it will be this Wednesday (16th Dec).

I’m only back in the UK for a few days to pack up my stuff for a move to France and the 16th is my last day before I’m off. Of course I could still courier it afterwards from France before the end of the year but then it gets a bit pricier to send.

Give me a shout ASAP if you fancy a bit of MIJ Squier Bullet bass action in your life before Christmas! Or if you want to trade for a hollow body Hofner violin bass, hit me up!
All the best -

Lee

Edited by meterman
correct days

Update with pics of the neck plate. The serial number is an A number, and it looks like someone has engraved their telephone number and initials on it. This wasn’t in the original sale pics when I bought it but it didn’t bother me in the slightest as it played and sounded so vibrant and nice.

Again, the weight is just shy of 3.8kg and it’s £400 if you can collect it in the next two days! Or I can courier it for an extra £25. 
Let me know if you fancy a bit of vintage Squier Japan Bullet bass action in your life :)

AD467BB6-4E88-499A-9059-7E919F4F9EBD.jpeg

7F49D33E-E5BB-4C22-B5EE-FC03D0381C68.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Thunderbird said:

Sorry to hear of your playing problems and derailing the thread but I am going through the same thing as you and I've found the fender mustang to be the answer to my problem it's short scale nice and light and sounds great any way glwts mate 😊

Absolutely no problem Thunderbird, I appreciate your input 👍

I have owned Fender Mustangs in the past - two vintage USA boat anchor heavy ones, two MIJ 2000's ones and two Squier ones when they first started doing them. They all were good, I even like the little Squier Bronco's too. But I've just ordered a hollow bodied Hofner Violin bass online so I'll be having a try of that before I consider anything else. Short scale is easier for me, I'll admit. :)

• Like 1

SOLD! 
A session playing pal bought it for his studio in London, so it’s gone to a good home 👍

Won’t lie, I’m sad to see it go as it was an particularly fine recording bass. Will do a NBD for my new bass soon.

Many thanks and best wishes to everyone who enquired about the bass. If you see another one for sale anywhere don’t sleep on it, just get it, they are brilliant basses for the money 💰 

Lee x

• Like 3

• ped locked this topic