Why become a member? ×

New Darkglass Pedal - ADAM

ashevans09

3 minutes ago, Kev said:

Whilst they have common ancestry they are quite separate companies. For example, I know Neural do not have the rights beyond the B*K and Vintage circuits to the Darkglass products, hence there is no X/Alpha Omega plugins or models on the QC.  I don't know how related this will be beyond the encoders, its mainly based on technology from the Element.

Easy for them to grant rights to each other when needed though.

42 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

New in depth vid

I trust Nolly and his mixing wizardry, but I do wonder why they went for no IR on the clean side.  Well, I get why, but when recording bass surely it’s the norm to track a dry track anyway, I think this interface even does that? So you keep the lows and high sparkle there anyway, so I don’t really get why you wouldn’t IR the clean side. Ie like the other Darkglass Ultra pedals, just stick the IR at the end of the chain.  it’s interesting, as it means you’d struggle to use the pedal as a clean master preamp with other Darkglass circuits as it would mean no IR. Similarly, with an always-on IR on the dirt side, if you had other Darkglass ultra circuits after this, it would mean you would potentially be loading an IR on top of another one? Guess it’s designed mainly as a standalone pedal, which is cool but I’d need to hear more before I could consider swapping the others out.

Sounds interesting though, for me (I think I have a fairly trained DG ear) it’s surprisingly quite different from the X and B7K circuits, given those are the ones Nolly has pushed more if any.  It seems to share most ground with the Alpha Omega vibe?  Definitely has some nice tone in there, but I need to hear a non Dingwall bass through it to form an opinion really.

Edited by Kev

I've come to the conclusion that despite the fact Darkglass make great gear, it's not for me. I have an AO Ultra and X7 Ultra which I occasionally break out for clients in the studio.

The thing was I couldn't pinpoint it until last weekend. Both have a fuzz on the low end the minute the bass goes above 5. Now, this works best for using a 5 string as it'll help the fundamental harmonics of the lowest notes be heard better. For standard or drop D, it doesn't work for me.

Nolly is an excellent producer and due to his influence in the metal community people will lap it up. He wouldn't put his name to anything that wasn't good or that he wouldn't use himself. However, the sound in itself has become passe. I now steer clients away from it if they want to sound different.

Is it worth that much? Depends really. If you like the sounds, yeah it is. Darkglass can't get that many more high profile people as they have Nolly and Jon Stockman. As long as they keep those kind of people happy, they'll not be changing strategy anytime soon.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Wolverinebass said:

I've come to the conclusion that despite the fact Darkglass make great gear, it's not for me. I have an AO Ultra and X7 Ultra which I occasionally break out for clients in the studio.

The thing was I couldn't pinpoint it until last weekend. Both have a fuzz on the low end the minute the bass goes above 5. Now, this works best for using a 5 string as it'll help the fundamental harmonics of the lowest notes be heard better. For standard or drop D, it doesn't work for me.

Nolly is an excellent producer and due to his influence in the metal community people will lap it up. He wouldn't put his name to anything that wasn't good or that he wouldn't use himself. However, the sound in itself has become passe. I now steer clients away from it if they want to sound different.

Is it worth that much? Depends really. If you like the sounds, yeah it is. Darkglass can't get that many more high profile people as they have Nolly and Jon Stockman. As long as they keep those kind of people happy, they'll not be changing strategy anytime soon.

Can you elaborate the fuzz on the low end when the bass goes above 5, particularly in relation to the X7, given the control over the low end saturation you have on that pedal can keep things clean well into the mids, must be 500hz or so?  The lows should be entirely free of any fuzz or distortion below this filter.  It's not something I have picked up on?

@Wolverinebass will be far more eloquent than me at explaining stuff, but so far as DG dirt goes I have always felt that something about it makes it ever so slightly separate from the core sound - the distortion is never parallel to it - it seems separate, and not is a good way, it’s like your girlfriends/boyfriends mate who is there, but not part of the action

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Kev said:

Can you elaborate the fuzz on the low end when the bass goes above 5, particularly in relation to the X7, given the control over the low end saturation you have on that pedal can keep things clean well into the mids, must be 500hz or so?  The lows should be entirely free of any fuzz or distortion below this filter.  It's not something I have picked up on?

It's like a buzz. I thought I was going mad actually but then I turned off the treble side and it was still there even with the filter all the way up to about 500Hz or so. It's enough so that you can hear it. Or, at least I can hear it. I played it straight from the jack output into a power amp.

I have the Tech21 Dug Pinnick and I was hoping for something more versatile. In actuality the Darkglass is harder to get a sound I'd like out of it.

I'm happy to send you a video to show what I mean by the bottom end not being clean. Literally, when the compression level and low level reach 5 it starts to go fuzzy.

Just now, Wolverinebass said:

It's like a buzz. I thought I was going mad actually but then I turned off the treble side and it was still there even with the filter all the way up to about 500Hz or so. It's enough so that you can hear it. Or, at least I can hear it. I played it straight from the jack output into a power amp.

I have the Tech21 Dug Pinnick and I was hoping for something more versatile. In actuality the Darkglass is harder to get a sound I'd like out of it.

I'm happy to send you a video to show what I mean by the bottom end not being clean. Literally, when the compression level and low level reach 5 it starts to go fuzzy.

I'd suggest something may be wrong.  With the High turned all the way down, the signal should be crystal clear low end, there shouldn't be anything else at all.  The only way mine would introduce anything else in the signal would be if I was clipping the preamp if boosting it too much.  I do remember them having a noise issue with a small batch of early pedals, wonder if yous is one of them?

7 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

@Wolverinebass will be far more eloquent than me at explaining stuff, but so far as DG dirt goes I have always felt that something about it makes it ever so slightly separate from the core sound - the distortion is never parallel to it - it seems separate, and not is a good way, it’s like your girlfriends/boyfriends mate who is there, but not part of the action

That's really interesting, as my experience is quite the opposite!  Unless I'm just the mate who's convinced himself its going to happen?

1 minute ago, Kev said:

I'd suggest something may be wrong.  With the High turned all the way down, the signal should be crystal clear low end, there shouldn't be anything else at all.  The only way mine would introduce anything else in the signal would be if I was clipping the preamp if boosting it too much.  I do remember them having a noise issue with a small batch of early pedals, wonder if yous is one of them?

I had the master volume about 2/3 up, but neither the low or high end was boosted massively. Maybe about 1o'clock on the high side. Could be faulty as you say though what I'm talking about isn't massive, it's relatively subtle in some ways.

I'll PM you a video tomorrow squire.

• Like 1

Just now, Wolverinebass said:

I had the master volume about 2/3 up, but neither the low or high end was boosted massively. Maybe about 1o'clock on the high side. Could be faulty as you say though what I'm talking about isn't massive, it's relatively subtle in some ways.

I'll PM you a video tomorrow squire.

By all means, I'll have a listen :).  I would add that Darkglass are fairly brilliant for customer service, so if it turns out there is an issue and you let them know, no doubt they'll sort it right out, particularly if it is that old issue with the Low side I'm remembering.

• Thanks 1

I must add BTW it’s nothing against DG, they do fine products and are a great company with good customer service. We are talking a minor difference, and maybe I am getting super sensitive but was discussing this with another player, and once I heard it, I couldn’t un-hear it.

The DP3X is a pedal I unashamedly love, and I love Tech21 gear. IMHO the slight difference is that Tech21 produce gear according a high level musicians specs and wants, like dUg, Geddy, Steve Harris etc.

DG and Doug is primarily an awesome engineer and scientist who plays bass very well and this engineers a product.

Its a very subtle difference but for me I think gives this slight difference, yes guys like Nolly and Jon are on board now, but it’s sort of part of the DNA.

1 minute ago, horrorshowbass said:

Considering you could get the 500 watt head for close to 500 used, this doesn't appeal at all.

You can get a decent TV too.  But if you don't need a new TV, probably isn't relevant? 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hmm. From the Darglass website : ADAM responds to MIDI messages from all channels, so you do not have to otherwise specify a MIDI channel to use ADAM’s MIDI input functionality.

Doesn't this mean it hears all the MIDI commands sent to all your other pedals and could potentially be a bit of a nightmare in terms of addressing patches?

1 minute ago, thodrik said:

One of the few Youbtuber bassists I really like. A really fluid player and can play in a number of different styles. 

I suspect in days gone by my insecure, brattish self would have been way too jealous of his skill to admit how good he is.